phpbb 3.2 and Soft Deleting.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
mkruer

phpbb 3.2 and Soft Deleting.

Post by mkruer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

As everyone should know now that deleting a message on the forums acts more as purge, meaning that is it unrecoverable after the action is committed. While this is good to keep your database small compact and clean, its horrific for management purposes, specifically when it comes to auditing. One of the forums I am running right now, I have a bunch of trolls and human ad spammers, and in recent months it has gotten worse.

Normally I would move the unwanted posts to a hidden backup archive forum so I can keep a audit history of the user and the IP’s they have been posting from, and if worst comes to wear band the ip range. However to keep up with the added spam and trolling I have been promoting people to manage the forms in my absence. For the most part they do a good job, but occasionally I come across a edited thread or a removed user and naturally they don’t include any notes as to why the posts was edited, delete and the user removed.

phpbb is lacking a robust auditing system, which looks like it will be partially addressed in the next milestone release 3.2. Soft deleting is a good start, but I don’t think it is enough.

Soft Deleting + Editing History

In my opinion, ideally when you ban a user or have to remove or edit a post, it should not delete the post, but rather keep them where they are in the threads and in the case of a edit, keep the previous copy of the edit. These would not be available to the general public being masked in the standard view, but a forum moderator would be able to view the original post and the edit.

Of the editing audit logic it would be something like this:
No audit will be save if the original post has not replied to in the thread. When someone has replied, and then someone edits the original post, the original post is backed up. Also if someone else edits a post, not theres and it meets the criteria above, posts will be backed up.

example:
User 1 starts a thread. 15min or even a hour later, User 1 goes back and edited the post (content, spelling whatever). No audit is saved.
User 2 replies to User 1 post.
User 1 edits there post again, this time a audit point is saved.
Moderator 1 edits User 1 post, seconds audit point is saved.
Moderator 2 edits User 1 (that was lasted edited by Moderator 1) a third audit point is saved.
Moderator 2 edits User 1 post again, no audit point is saved.
Moderator 1 edits User 1 (that was lasted edited by Moderator 2) a fourth audit point is saved.
Administrator 1 edits User 1 post again, a fifth audit point is saved.

or
User 1 starts a thread. 15min or even a hour later, User 1 goes back and edited the post (content, spelling whatever). No audit is saved.
User 2 replies to User 1 post.
User 1 edits there post again, this time a audit point is saved.
User 2 replies again to User 1
User 1 edits there post again, this time a seconds audit point is saved.

You should get the idea.

A_O_C

Re: phpbb 3.2 and Soft Deleting.

Post by A_O_C » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:14 pm

While I agree that soft delete will be welcome, you can install a MOD to get you through for now. As to edit reasons, Kenny (cherokee red) posted a code snipet at his site. ;)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: phpbb 3.2 and Soft Deleting.

Post by EXreaction » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Yes, there are two mods that would do what you want I think.

Soft Delete mod
Post Revisions Mod
(I've never tried the post revisions mod myself)

There has been a recent update on the development process:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1715935

It's possible that soft delete or a post revisions type of system could come in with one of the 3.x line, but that's something up to the development team currently. The two are rather complex systems, but they could come in down the line (I'll be pushing for them myself too).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”