How well does phpBB handle large threads?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Ron2K
Name: Kieron Thwaites

How well does phpBB handle large threads?

Post by Ron2K » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 am

OK, here's the backstory behind this one: a fellow forum admin running a vBulletin forum has a thread with around 302,000 posts in it. Apparently, the SQL queries in the version of vBulletin that he's running do not handle large threads very well; consequently, a page view of that thread results in a very intensive query on his database that is now causing performance issues.

What I'm interested in finding out is: how well does the SQL in phpBB 3.0.5 handle threads of similar length? At the moment, I'm sitting with a thread with 217,000 posts and another with 128,000 posts, and I have noticed the occasional slowdown from time to time. I do realise that the breaking point, if any, may well be hardware dependent.

Thanks.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: How well does phpBB handle large threads?

Post by EXreaction » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:40 am

I don't think that it would be any harder on the server for a thread any longer than two to three pages.

Although I would be interested in seeing how it does, I know I've seen that happen at another vB forum, but there isn't any phpBB board I know of with that many posts in a topic.

I would copy the data you have to a local/test server, then attempt a conversion and see how it goes. If you do that let me know how it goes because I am interested in the results too. :)

Ron2K
Name: Kieron Thwaites

Post by Ron2K » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

I suppose I should have mentioned that the forum of mine that I'm referring to (the one with the 217,000 post thread) is already a phpBB forum. ;)

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 pm

One thing we do to improve performance on long topics is reverse the order in which posts are read from the database. So if you go to the last page it won't use a huge offset but rather sort the posts the other way around and use a zero offset.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm curious why anybody would let a topic get that long? Nobody is going to read all of those posts, right? Once a topic got into 1,000 or so replies, I'd probably split it and lock it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Pony99CA wrote:I'm curious why anybody would let a topic get that long? Nobody is going to read all of those posts, right? Once a topic got into 1,000 or so replies, I'd probably split it and lock it.

Steve
Off topic forums, Chat forums...
I have seen those...

"i'm feeling fine" and say you are feeling fine for some reason
"I'm pissed off" say what the fuck is bothering...

The usual chat forums where you do not actually discuss about things, but just post random crap...

Such forun attracts the dum.. ;) Seen that abandoned it...
Idiots and morons like such forums.
(excuse me, i am biased from what stupid idiots i have dealt with on a forum like that... Eventually told them to piss off and abandoned the forum... There are plenty of idiots just waiting to post something)
Signature is here

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 pm

They have their uses. Like one of the integration topics I maintain. It's 87 pages long (currently 1298 posts) and it's full of examples. People posts questions about them and I have gone through that topic from beginning to end more than once.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Well the biggest I've seen is 12762, it's just a "What are you listening to now?" thread.

I've seen other boards create a v2 thread if it ever gets to big, that way you'd never have to get to 217,000 posts. ;)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:39 am

onehundredandtwo wrote:Well the biggest I've seen is 12762, it's just a "What are you listening to now?" thread.

I've seen other boards create a v2 thread if it ever gets to big, that way you'd never have to get to 217,000 posts. ;)
In one general b****hit topic I have in my forum I've done exactly that. After it reached about 20000 posts I locked it and created a general b****hit v2. I hadn't seen any performance issues, though...
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 am

lurttinen wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I'm curious why anybody would let a topic get that long? Nobody is going to read all of those posts, right? Once a topic got into 1,000 or so replies, I'd probably split it and lock it.
Off topic forums, Chat forums...
I have seen those...

"i'm feeling fine" and say you are feeling fine for some reason
"I'm pissed off" say what the *beep* is bothering...
Yeah, but I'd expect lots of people would start different topics for their issues, not post to some ridiculously long topic. You might get 200,000 topics with 3 or 4 replies each instead. ;)

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 am

Noxwizard wrote:They have their uses. Like one of the integration topics I maintain. It's 87 pages long (currently 1298 posts) and it's full of examples. People posts questions about them and I have gone through that topic from beginning to end more than once.
Yes, but 1300 posts is a far cry from 217,000 posts (a factor of over 166). Would you even try to wade through 217,000 posts (10,850 pages :!: assuming 20 posts per page).

Out of curiosity, what's the longest topic here? The Custom BBCodes topic has 150 pages (2245 posts).... (It would be nice if some Moderator split it into functionally-organized topics one day. For example, Formatting BBCodes, Video BBCodes, Audio BBCodes, etc. I won't hold my breath, though. :lol:)

Steve

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:07 am

Pony99CA wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the longest topic here? The Custom BBCodes topic has 150 pages (2245 posts)....
Pfft is that all? http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 15&t=74505
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:55 am

Pony99CA wrote:
Noxwizard wrote:They have their uses. Like one of the integration topics I maintain. It's 87 pages long (currently 1298 posts) and it's full of examples. People posts questions about them and I have gone through that topic from beginning to end more than once.
Yes, but 1300 posts is a far cry from 217,000 posts (a factor of over 166). Would you even try to wade through 217,000 posts (10,850 pages :!: assuming 20 posts per page).

Steve
My comment was directed towards yours about splitting and locking after only 1,000 posts, not venturing into the realm of excessive amounts of posts. The quantities previously listed are more posts in one topic than many boards have total. You would need to start indexing comments when you notice that the topic is beginning to become that long and actively maintain it. That's on my to-do list for the short time I have off and my topic, as you stated, is vastly shorter.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am

ToonArmy wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the longest topic here? The Custom BBCodes topic has 150 pages (2245 posts)....
Pfft is that all? http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 15&t=74505
I didn't know such a large MOD existed here. :shock: Of course the MOD's by Acyd Burn. :lol:
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Noxwizard wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
My comment was directed towards yours about splitting and locking after only 1,000 posts, not venturing into the realm of excessive amounts of posts.
Fair enough, but I did say "1,000 or so" to allow for flexibility (maybe even a binary magnitude or two). A binary magnitude of 7, though, is another matter. ;)

Steve

Return to “phpBB Discussion”