How to 'sell' PHPBB!!!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: How to 'sell' PHPBB!!!

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:While I completely agree that we could do with a makeover in some places (with marketing in mind), the statistics of how many people are using/downloading phpBB don't come to mind. After all, "you should use phpBB because this many other people are doing it" does not sound like a marketing strategy I would want to use.
While argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work. How many ads do you see or hear that say something like "the #1 selling widget"?

That may be OK in ads, which have short running times, but you could add the reasons why being the #1 board is important -- more people are creating styles for it, more people are creating MODs for it, more people can help support you, etc. (I don't know if those are all true, but they certainly could be.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

ForwardMover

Post by ForwardMover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am

EXreaction wrote:
ForwardMover wrote:If you go to the homepage of top forum software companies, you will see that they do ALL of 1-3, right on the homepage. Not real complicated.

(Frankly, phpBB does not do this.)

I have an MBA in marketing, along with 25 years years of sales and marketing experience.

Thanks to phpBB for all their good work.

FM
Agreed, and it is something we have been working on lately. But, unfortunately we don't really have anyone in marketing on the teams, so the progress is a bit slower as we all try to discuss what would work the best and keep on re-doing things.
My suggestion is to have a SHOWCASE section and link .., right on the home page, taking people to a place, where community members, or someone, can moderate this. seems real simple.

This section can help promote phpBB, but it could also help new forums developers if the forum developer can also list the different mods that they used.

One last issue for me is that with shake out coming, i want to be investing time in, and working only with software that will survive. To be here, any software has to have market share.

Hope this helps. any feedback is welcome, especially if I need correction or hints about where these resources might be.

Is there a showcase here that I just don't know about? Or is there a reason for this, technical cultural or otherwise?

thanks

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:40 pm

A showcase is something else that has been looked at and is being worked on a little bit, but like a lot of other projects now they are kind of in limbo with everybody being so busy.

The shake out you are referring to would be the changes in the development cycle, correct? Those changes were made so we don't have the same issue with 3.x (formerly 2.2); where it took many years to get out a new version that was completely incompatible with the old version (2.2 was supposed to be compatible with the old version and just a feature update, but they version was changed to 3.0 after they realized that pretty much none of the 2.0 code existed anymore)

ForwardMover

Post by ForwardMover » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:58 pm

EXreaction wrote:A showcase is something else that has been looked at and is being worked on a little bit, but like a lot of other projects now they are kind of in limbo with everybody being so busy.

The shake out you are referring to would be the changes in the development cycle, correct? Those changes were made so we don't have the same issue with 3.x (formerly 2.2); where it took many years to get out a new version that was completely incompatible with the old version (2.2 was supposed to be compatible with the old version and just a feature update, but they version was changed to 3.0 after they realized that pretty much none of the 2.0 code existed anymore)
Thanks for quick reply.

I see the showcase idea as being very syngeristic, especially if people are willing to also list some details about how they built their site, such as mods. ( aka case studies).

This benefits phpBB marketing by letting people immediately know what they can create with phpBB, something to inspire them.

It also gives new users, like me, a headstart, in creating a site. For newbies especially, it takes much time and effort to find out which mods to use.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am

ForwardMover wrote:Thanks for quick reply.

I see the showcase idea as being very syngeristic, especially if people are willing to also list some details about how they built their site, such as mods. ( aka case studies).

This benefits phpBB marketing by letting people immediately know what they can create with phpBB, something to inspire them.

It also gives new users, like me, a headstart, in creating a site. For newbies especially, it takes much time and effort to find out which mods to use.
I have to disagree with this somewhat.

As Nathan stated, we examined this idea some time ago and determined that it has merit, but not for some of the reasons that you mention. The biggest benefit, as I see it, is indeed inspiration. The rest, not so much.

Firstly, the sites added to the showcase would be chosen by us. Allowing administrators to add their own sites would quickly become overwhelming, even if we were to set specific standards. Something else to consider is that some administrators will not want to share any details, especially what MODs they have installed. Such information would be useful to hackers, should a vulnerability in a popular MOD be found. In essence, the index would become a list of large sites that could be attacked.

"What MODs to use" should be something you and, potentially, your users, decide. There is no MOD that is absolutely necessary to make a site successful. Moreover, communities make sites successful, and not MODs. Some administrators place too much emphasis on site customisation right from the start instead of focusing on important decisions like focusing on a specific topic and generating a niche community. What results is a site tha is difficult to maintain (either due to 20 different Styles or too many code modifications) with not enough interesting conversation. That ultimately leads to frustration and what I like to call "ghost forums" (forums that have been forgotten by everyone except spam bots and sit around for a few years).
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:Something else to consider is that some administrators will not want to share any details, especially what MODs they have installed. Such information would be useful to hackers, should a vulnerability in a popular MOD be found. In essence, the index would become a list of large sites that could be attacked.
Not to mention that the combination of MODs and styles and other alterations is what makes a site unique. If someone has spent a lot of time (and perhaps $$) building a site that is unique, why would they want to encourage other people to copy them?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

vellatechie

Post by vellatechie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 pm

I guess instead of website showcase what can be done is on the homepage sidebar or on a new page you guys can display some popular mods like IPB have done

Code: Select all

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/
exreations blog mod, handymans chat and jr sweets arcade mod is worth putting up on the homepage i guess.. These mods are great and shows the powahhhh of phpbb 3 to visitors :mrgreen:

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:33 pm

If anything, we should showcase not what MODs are available, but what you can do with phpBB.

I know a site or two that is built around phpBB, and it works quite well. ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”