anyone use yahoo ads

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
southerncash

anyone use yahoo ads

Post by southerncash » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am

i just signed up for yahoo ads i was wondering if they were any good and also pay good

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Re: anyone use yahoo ads

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 am

Are you referring to ads on your phpBB forum, or ads on a general website? With regards to ads on phpBB forums, I tend to use Google AdSense as opposed to Yahoo! Ads. I feel that, in my case, AdSense assesses my website better and pays more than Yahoo! Ads would. But, I'm sure that Yahoo! Ads is quite a useful service. Of course, how much revenue you bring in from ads all depends on how popular your website or forum is. Forums are good to place ads on, but if your forum's activity is low (or even in the middle), then I wouldn't expect to generate much revenue from any advertisement program.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

mals69

Post by mals69 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 am

Noted where google adsense said that regular forum users suffer from ad blindness and recommend placing ads near navigational buttons.
. Forums are good to place ads on, but if your forum's activity is low (or even in the middle), then I wouldn't expect to generate much revenue from any advertisement program
How busy does a forum have to be to generate US$500 per week interms of visitors a day ? Going by my experience with a web advertising provider, Huge volumes of traffic. Had 385,000 page impressions and paid US$102. The click thru rate they say that can be acheived is many times greater than the reality in my experience.

("When did you last click on a website advert ?") ;)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Tom wrote:Forums are good to place ads on
Actually, that is not my experience. CTR for discussion boards is far lower than other types of sites.
then I wouldn't expect to generate much revenue from any advertisement program.
And it's getting worse all the time. :) I have been using Google adsense for many years and revenues are steadily declining. People are ad-blind (either physically or via browser plug-ins) and google's text ads are such a fixture on the Internet now that nobody really reads them anymore.

I did a blog post on this a while back, but here are the important graphs. First, here is a graph of my page view activity up through last year when I wrote the blog post:

And here is a graph showing google clicks during the same time frame:

So page view activity is continuing to rise, but clicks are falling, which is a double-edged sword. Think about it... if the number of potential clicks (page views) has doubled, but the number of clicks had dropped by half, then the true decline is really twice that amount. In other words, clicks are going down faster than page views are going up, otherwise the graph would be flat.

The best source of advertising is finding someone (or some organization) that likes what you are doing and getting them to pay you for specific ads on your site. That way you set the price and you manage your revenues, rather than letting someone else (google) do it for you.

Finally, I don't know how Yahoo works, but google doesn't give you a paycheck until you accumulate $100 in your account. For many small publishers that could be years. I had some sites that generated $3-5 in revenues a month. Fortunately I combined them with a larger site that used to average $100 a month, so I got a check every month. Now I get one about three out of five months, even for that.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:10 pm

drathbun wrote:The best source of advertising is finding someone (or some organization) that likes what you are doing and getting them to pay you for specific ads on your site. That way you set the price and you manage your revenues, rather than letting someone else (google) do it for you.
Great point there. If you look at some of the largest websites that bring in the most revenue, almost all of them manage their own advertising programs. You won't see Facebook or MySpace using Google AdSense, otherwise they wouldn't be raking in the money that they have been over the years. It seems that the best way to make money off advertising anymore is to manage it yourself (instead of going through a "middle man" such as Google). However, if your website is not that popular, then it may be tough getting other groups or organizations to buy ads on your website. That's where Google AdSense, and other advertisement programs like it, come in handy for those website owners. However, in cases such as that, not much revenue will be generated since the website wasn't that popular to begin with.

Anyway, it seems that AdSense was the way to go for many people at one point, but now it has declined from what it once was. The first person to determine the next best way to generate revenue from a website, besides placing ads on it or selling products on it, will be rolling in it. :D
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:23 pm

I've been running advertising since 2004 on my largest phpBB board, but I am very fortunate that when I started at that point I already had a big user community. That gave me enough leverage to get sponsors interested. We existed for two years prior to that and had about 5,000 users. For the first two years it cost me about $250 a year to run the board (not including my time). For the third year it was about $60 a month, or $720. That was on what was at the time a fairly cheap dedicated server. After footing that bill (we sold t-shirts to board members to defray some of the costs) I decided that I had to investigate advertising. I implemented a sponsor banner and the google ads within a few months of each other.

When the google ads were new, I actually hit $200 one month with a fraction of the page activity that I see today. As I mentioned earlier, so many people are "ad blind" now because google ads are everywhere that I doubt they even read them anymore.

Side note: I just read an article that talked about the financial implications of Bing!, the new Microsoft search engine, as well as the agreement between MS and Yahoo for search engine work. It seems that google gets 97% of their revenue from advertising. Is it any wonder they're trying to make it as ubiquitous as possible?

I am working towards removing google ads from all of my internet sites, but by now I have the luxury of being able to look at other options.

I notice that the original question was about yahoo ads, and so far nobody has chimed in about that. :) I would be interested to hear about the particulars of working with Yahoo, especially if someone has enough experience with them (two years or more) to see trends.

mals69

Post by mals69 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Well its refreshing (in one way ) to know its common the little revenue gained by most web advertising providers - thanks for sharing you earning drathbun.

Do not have Yahoo as an option with living outside of the USA (last time I looked) dare say be inline with the market rate of Google.

Looking over past logs seems to be 1 click on average per 1000 page turns, have 728 banners under the New Topic and Reply buttons top and bottom at present. Seems to be the best CTR so far - but early days.

Whether Google adverts or with working with advertisers directly - where have you found the best place to place adverts and what colour scheme's seem to work best ?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 am

Whether you use google Adsense or not, you can certainly make use of the extensive documentation they have provided about advertisements on forums.

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2007/07/get ... -well.html
http://adsense.blogspot.com/2005/10/six ... s-for.html

mals69

Post by mals69 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 am

Cheers drathbun :P

Seen the hot area template before. Haven't seen the mega games example before, interesting thanks seeing the adverts in the actual members post. Beside the welcome looks a good idea too.

nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 am

I tried Yahoo ads for about a month on my phpBB board a few years ago, and the result was awful. A Google Ad in the same place earned about ten times as much as a Yahoo Ad. I heard Yahoo has since gotten better at the contextual advertising game, but it's probably a fair bet that Google is still the best. I don't see anyone serving Yahoo Ads other than Yahoo.

With regards to Google Ads, I've been fortunate in that my revenue was climbing almost every month (slower than the increase in pageviews, but still increasing), but that stopped last October. The click-through rate is the same now as it was a year ago; what's different is the price paid per click. Companies just aren't willing to spend very much money on advertising in this climate.

That said, if you're running a large enough site, the best Ad solution I've found thus far is: http://www.text-link-ads.com

The text link ads only need to be displayed on one page, and I earn almost as much from it as I do from Google Ads.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.

mals69

Post by mals69 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:10 am

Cheers for the link, see a site with an alexa rank of 18347 makes $45 per day, got bit of work to get that low :)

userkiller
I've Been Banned!

Post by userkiller » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 pm

google is better
Requesting people that can develop softwares pm me.
example gaming trainers.
If you are a rpgmmo gamers pm me.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

userkiller wrote:google is better
How about adding to that statement with some facts, or figures, or something to back up your opinion? That would provide more value to the discussion, thanks.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”