Member wants deleting

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Help_please

Member wants deleting

Post by Help_please » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 pm

Hello

A member has contacted me and asked for their account and all posts to be deleted which I have no problem with.
However they have also asked that every trace of them is removed, including quotes of their posts made by other people. This is obviously not really an option as I am so busy. I have suggested they go through and look and report the quotes themselves and then I can delete them, but they have refused.

Am I legally required to do this? Its seems a right pain!

edit... sorry now I think I may have made this post in the wrong section.

Xplosive
I've Been Banned!

Re: Member wants deleting

Post by Xplosive » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:45 pm

No it's ok, someone else posted something very similar to this in this forum as well.

You don't have to, if their post doesn't have any of their personal information in it then those posts
belong to you. If they can't be bothered to help you out then you shouldn't delete them.

Just ban their account and tell them that unless they comply then everything is staying as it is.

Why do they want their account and everything related to them deleted anyway?

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Help_please wrote:However they have also asked that every trace of them is removed, including quotes of their posts made by other people. This is obviously not really an option as I am so busy. I have suggested they go through and look and report the quotes themselves and then I can delete them, but they have refused.
Since you can easily delete a users posts when you delete the user I suggest you do that and notify the user than any quoted posts need to be provided by them to you as there is no mechanism within phpBB's ACP delete user function to find and delete those entries. They could easily search based on "username wrote:" If they refuse you are not obligated to do anything with respect to those posts.
Xplosive wrote:You don't have to, if their post doesn't have any of their personal information in it then those posts belong to you.
Not true. :) The laws governing these things are country specific but generally fall under copyright/UGC law and most content, including bulletin board posts, remains the intellectual property of the original poster. The only way around that is TOS agreement specifically granting site/board operators a perpetual irrevocable license to your posts.

@Help_please, I suggest you research the UGC & copyright laws specific to your country for help with what you are legally required to do. :)

noth

Post by noth » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm

these people who come along later and demand that their account is scrubbed and every trace of them deleted kill me, they really do

I had one member demand that I delete their account under the Data Protection Act

I managed to fend them off but frankly I fear that as narqelion intimates above these people may actually have a right to having their posts taken down

I would love to see this subject ironed out once and for all in the phpBB knowledge base (or similar) ;)

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:33 pm

If you don't really want to delete accounts or posts, then you ought to make it as difficult as possible. Make this person submit to you, in writing, the request.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Help_please

Post by Help_please » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:04 pm

I have no problem whatsoever in deleting the account and the POSTS.

What I do not have the time or inclination to do is go though looking for where people have quoted them. Thats where the issue is, nothing to do with the posts on their own, I could delete them in 2 seconds, the quotes need to be hunted down, it would take hours and hours.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Help_please wrote:the quotes need to be hunted down, it would take hours and hours.
Well not really, the search function should be able to quickly find all instances of "username wrote:" where username is the name of the particular user. That will search for the specific quote string with their username. Tell them to run the search themselves and give you a list of the posts (the specific url with post id) that they find. :)

kzone

Post by kzone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 pm

Tell them you are willing to delete the post but there is a little fee to pay i.e $2 per post

Time is money..Isn't it :twisted:

If they wanna play hard, play hard :evil:

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 pm

narqelion wrote:
Help_please wrote:the quotes need to be hunted down, it would take hours and hours.
Well not really, the search function should be able to quickly find all instances of "username wrote:" where username is the name of the particular user. That will search for the specific quote string with their username. Tell them to run the search themselves and give you a list of the posts (the specific url with post id) that they find. :)
Except that IIRC, phpBB won't search in BBCodes, including quotes.
Moof!

Help_please

Post by Help_please » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 pm

narqelion wrote:

that doesn't work for some reason. I have suggested they find the posts and report them and I have no problem deleting them, they say its my job to do it as an admin.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Help_please wrote: that doesn't work for some reason. I have suggested they find the posts and report them and I have no problem deleting them, they say its my job to do it as an admin.
Likely for the reason I posted above. :|
Moof!

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Help_please wrote:that doesn't work for some reason.
That is odd, it works on all three of mine. Here is a screen cap of one of the search results for the string:
"Dilli wrote:"
interesting.jpg
Appears to work on this board too, even with a different search backend. I can find posts where I was quoted using the same process.
What are you typing into the search field?

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:49 pm

What engine are you using for search, narquelion? MySQL fulltext likely will search indiscriminately, whereas the phpBB search index will scrape out the cruft such as BBCodes.
Moof!

Help_please

Post by Help_please » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:56 pm

hey again

They have started slating me on FaceBook now so I have just deleted the account/posts and told them I will not be removing quotes.
Thanks for your replies anyway.

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Dog Cow wrote:If you don't really want to delete accounts or posts, then you ought to make it as difficult as possible. Make this person submit to you, in writing, the request.
We only had one request to do this before we changed out the ToS. Here is what I offered:

-I would not delete the user account, though I would be happy to "ban" it to prevent any further activity with his user name. The user was obviously free to remove any personally identifying information from the profile.

-I would lift the time limit on edits for his account, so he could remove the contents of any of his posts that he wanted. Any of his own intellectual property that he did not voluntarily remove would remain available to the web at large . . . just as it did when he voluntarily posted it.

-If he would compile a list of any user posts that he believed to contain his intellectual property (quotes, etc.) and submit it to me electronically (complete with URLs to ensure accuracy), I would send electronic requests those users to edit their own posts to remove the alleged copyright infringement. If, after a reasonable amount of time (3-6 months), they didn't comply, I would begin editing those posts myself.

I never heard from him again. :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”