[EVENT] [Sat Mar 13 2010 | Washington, DC] phpBB "Monumental" Meetup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

[EVENT] [Sat Mar 13 2010 | Washington, DC] phpBB "Monumental" Meetup

Post by webmacster87 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm

The 411
Who: phpBB users in the Washington, DC metro area (District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland, and anywhere else in the Northeast corridor, or anyone else who needs a good excuse to visit our nation's capitol)
What: A meetup/networking opportunity for local phpBB users
Where: Washington, DC
When: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 9:45-11:30 AM (not including additional optional activities)
Why: Because we can, because we're going to, and because we're awesome!

What We're Doing
We will be meeting at 9:45 AM at the West End Neighborhood Library, located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of northwest Washington, DC. (It's very close to The George Washington University.) We have the Small Meeting Room at the library reserved for our use until 11:30 AM; afterwards we may go out to a nearby location for lunch and may optionally plan other afternoon tourist activities for anyone who is interested in coming. Any plans made beyond our reserved time at the library will be made on the spot, but we can certainly discuss suggestions ahead of time here in the topic. ;)

Code-Sharing with phpBB Weekly
Similar to how we did with OSCONvasion 2009, we will be code-sharing the formal "meetup" part of this event (the part that we do at the library) with the phpBB Weekly podcast, so that even if you are not able to come to the meetup in person, you can contribute via phpBB Weekly's chartroom and listen in live.
However the primary focus of the formal part of the meetup will be primarily an opportunity for us to chat about phpBB, exchange ideas and experiences, get to know each other, and have an open-ended discussion.

Sounds Awesome, I Want to Come!
While there is no need to RSVP, we would love it if you give us a heads-up in the topic that you're planning to be here. I'll try to keep the list in this post up-to-date with the users who have indicated that they're planning to attend.
If you indicated interest in attending prior to February 14, let me know again so that I can be sure that your interest in coming is still for-sure, not just "maybe." ;)

Note: Our library room has a maximum occupancy of 55 people. Though I would be very surprised (in a good way) if we came close to exceeding that occupancy!

Location and Directions
The library is located at 1101 24th St. NW, Washington, DC (view map). Note that the library has only limited parking available; however there are numerous paid parking garages nearby.

We are meeting at the library's Small Meeting Room.

The library is within walking distance of the Washington Metro at the Foggy Bottom-GWU station, which is served by the Blue and Orange lines.
Once you get off of the escalator at the Metro station, make a U-turn (on the right side of the escalators) to walk down a pedestrian-only portion of I Street (which will actually be through a portion of the George Washington University campus); continue in that direction for one block and turn right on 24th Street. Continue walking for four more blocks; the library will be on the right side at the corner of 24th and L Streets (view walking directions on Google Maps).

Getting to Washington, DC
Coming in from out of town? The Washington metro area is served by three airports and one Amtrak station.
  • Washington Union Station Union Station is a historic train station in northeast Washington served by ten Amtrak lines. The station is also served by the Metro Red Line.
  • Reagan National Airport is located in Arlington, VA and is the closest of the three DC airports to DC itself. The airport is served by the Metro Yellow and Blue lines.
  • Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport is located in Dulles, VA, west of Washington. You can either take Metrobus 5A (cost $3.20) to Rosslyn Metro station (served by the Orange and Blue lines) or take the Washington Flyer shuttle (cost $10) to the West Falls Church Metro station (served by the Orange line) to make your connection to DC.
  • Baltimore/Washington Int'l Airport is located near Baltimore, MD, northeast of Washington. You can take Metrobus B30 (cost $3.20) to Greenbelt Metro station (served by the Green line) to make your connection to DC.
Who's Coming:
Fountain of Apples -- Meetup Event Organizer, Former MOD Team Member
Marshalrusty -- Support TL

Thanks for reading, and hope to see you there! It's always great to meet more members of the phpBB community!
Last edited by webmacster87 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: [Washington, DC] Proposed Meetup Event in Feb/March 2010

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 am

Fountain of Apples wrote:So anyway, is there anyone located in the District of Columbia, Maryland, northern Virginia, or elsewhere in the northeastern United States who would be interested in attending?
That precludes me, silly. :P I'm in Southern Virginia right now.

As for where, February might be a little cold still to do something outside. Maybe late March if you want an outside venue? If indoors, I'm not really familiar with what's up there. So much has changed since I was last up there, and I've only been in part of DC.

[/unhelpful post]
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:43 am

I am about 4.5 hours from DC, but we went to school up there, so we might be able to make something like this. Working out schedules won't be easy, but I'd love to give it a try.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:19 pm

This is awesome! I'm about 2 hours from D.C. (depending on how backed up 270 gets in Montgomery County in the morning or afternoon :P ).

Late March is probably a good idea (20th +). Might not be as code as early March / February.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Fountain of Apples wrote:university in Washington, DC
Which? I only ask because I attended GWU a few, uhmm, decades ago.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:28 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Fountain of Apples wrote:university in Washington, DC
Which? I only ask because I attended GWU a few, uhmm, decades ago.
According to his website, American University.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:52 pm

I'd definitely be interested, I'm about a half hour from Virginia, so I'm about 5 hours or so from DC, I've only been once and that's been like 10 years ago when I was young so it'd be nice to go there for the meetup and then go touring.

And whereat in Virginia Techie?
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:54 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Which? I only ask because I attended GWU a few, uhmm, decades ago.
Right neighborhood, wrong school. ;)

8-)

We are both grads here and would love to visit DC for a phpBB meet-up if we can work out schedules.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Tripp wrote:I'd definitely be interested, I'm about a half hour from Virginia, so I'm about 5 hours or so from DC, I've only been once and that's been like 10 years ago when I was young so it'd be nice to go there for the meetup and then go touring.

And whereat in Virginia Techie?
Waaaay in the southern part of VA. If you are about 30 minutes from VA, I'm 30-45 minutes from where you are. :P

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this topic. I'm very glad to see that there's interest; I'm going to try to look for some possible venues. What's your thoughts on how formal this should be? Something small like a meetup at a restaurant or food place, or a somewhat more formal meetup session like what took place at OSCONvasion in San Jose last summer? Or perhaps we could meet as a group somewhere and then spend a day doing some touring? I'm also thinking that the event will more likely be in March than in February due to weather considerations. Anyway, offer your thoughts on what kind of meetup this should be, which will help me as I start my initial planning!

@Techie-Micheal: Of course you're welcome to come if you don't mind driving! After all, Highway of Life drove for two days to get to OSCONvasion... ;)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:32 pm

hehe. Well, I'm now in California, so that's not really an option. :P

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:16 am

Techie-Micheal wrote:hehe. Well, I'm now in California, so that's not really an option. :P
Eh, fly! :lol:
Fountain of Apples wrote:What's your thoughts on how formal this should be?
Looks like about 5 people or so, so maybe meet as a group at a food joint and do some touring in the afternoon. But, that's just my thoughts...

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 am

/me thinks he's let this topic marinate long enough

Think that sounds like a good idea, A_O_C. Does Saturday, March 6 sound good for most of you? I'm going to try to pinpoint some good locations for meeting up in the next week or two and get some plans together. Anyone have any particular places that they want to see as far as touring is concerned?

longcall911

Post by longcall911 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:35 am

If you were to hold a March event I'd be able to attend. I'm about 5 hours away in northern NJ, but work out a DC trip every couple of months.

/*tom*/

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Re: [Sat Mar 13 2010 | Washington, DC] phpBB "Monumental" Meetup

Post by webmacster87 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 pm

The first topic has been updated with 80%-finalized details for the meetup event. If you're planning to come, please reply to this topic indicating that you'll be there (so we can get an approx. head count). The first post also has a list of possible touristy locations that we could go see, so please vote for your top picks when you RSVP. (I'll take care of planning lunch!) :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”