Confusing first steps

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
availablelogin

Confusing first steps

Post by availablelogin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:26 am

Hi all,

Just to let you know about the experience of a newbie with phpBB.

When clicking Manage forums, there's a sentence that says "In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based" and right below this, it's written "Your first category"...

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Confusing first steps

Post by KevC » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 am

Categories used to be an entity in their own right.
They are now a type of forum. So strictly speaking they don't exist. You choose a forum type to be a category or a forum.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Another way to think of it, is the "categorys" you see are actually just forums, but they are just containers for other forums.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:05 pm

The OP is correct; the text is confusing and should be revised from:
In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based.
I suggest:
In phpBB3, there are no longer dedicated categories. Everything is forum based, so a forum can act like a category to group sub-forums.
Saying "no longer" implies that there were dedicated categories in past, which the current text doesn't (until you get to the reference to "an old category" farther along). The above also makes it clearer what categories are for.

Alternatively, since this text was probably meant for phpBB 2.x users and it's been a couple of years since phpBB 3.x has been out, maybe you can remove that sentence (and the reference to "an old category") completely.

Steve

P.S. For grammatical reasons, I'd also suggest the following (changes are underscored):
If your posts and topics have gotten out of sync, you can also resynchronize a forum.
I believe that dependent prepositional clauses at the beginning of a sentence should be followed by a comma (I also did that in the revised text at the top).
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Pony99CA wrote:P.S. For grammatical reasons, I'd also suggest the following (changes are underscored):
If your posts and topics have gotten out of sync, you can also resynchronize a forum.
Is this in the British English language pack? "Gotten" is a rarely used word in the UK, with the exception of "ill-gotten gains".
Roberdin

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 am

Roberdin wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:P.S. For grammatical reasons, I'd also suggest the following (changes are underscored):
Is this in the British English language pack? "Gotten" is a rarely used word in the UK, with the exception of "ill-gotten gains".
Good point. This is the American English pack.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

availablelogin

Post by availablelogin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 am

Great to see that the remark triggered so many replies. That means there is smth to improve.
Personally, I'm Swiss, speaking French and with a very decent English level and there was definitely a confusion.

Most of all, I've always hated the principle of having both categories and forums, because I generally create very simple forums that don't require both.

Imagine you want to deal with cats or Ford Mustang (don't look for any relation between both...).
All you'll need is a forum for food, one for health, etc.
You don't need any forum + sub-forum structure, you just need one stage with 5 or 10 forums and you know it will never become big enough for this simplicity to become a problem.

So, I suggest you make the double stage structure optional if that's not too much programming.

Keep it up!

Ant

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 am

Pony99CA wrote:The OP is correct; the text is confusing and should be revised from:
In phpBB3 there are no categories, everything is forum based.
I suggest:
In phpBB3, there are no longer dedicated categories. Everything is forum based, so a forum can act like a category to group sub-forums.
Saying "no longer" implies that there were dedicated categories in past, which the current text doesn't (until you get to the reference to "an old category" farther along). The above also makes it clearer what categories are for.

Alternatively, since this text was probably meant for phpBB 2.x users and it's been a couple of years since phpBB 3.x has been out, maybe you can remove that sentence (and the reference to "an old category") completely.

Steve

P.S. For grammatical reasons, I'd also suggest the following (changes are underscored):
I believe that dependent prepositional clauses at the beginning of a sentence should be followed by a comma (I also did that in the revised text at the top).
If you think the wording is not right you should submit it to the bug tracker.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 am

Kevin Clark wrote:If you think the wording is not right you should submit it to the bug tracker.
Agreed, but I thought I'd submit the suggestion for discussion first. Once we've gotten some sort of consensus, the OP can open a bug. ;)

Steve

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:40 am

In fact you can discuss it here
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/40545
Cheap UK Hosting

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Yep, I was gonna say I distinctly remember having discussed this before. Wasn't sure if that was in the bug tracker.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”