Discuss: phpBB 3.0.6 Release Candidate 4 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.6 Release Candidate 4 released

Post by AdamR »

While in practice changes between RC versions are intended to fix bugs introduced by the new code and are kept to a minimum, we still do not recommend running RC code in a production environment unless you are comfortable with making changes yourself for any bugs you may find, as well as keeping up to date with the trackers/SVN to ensure security and stability. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
FedericoBiccheddu
Name: Federico Biccheddu

Post by FedericoBiccheddu »

I have to create a kind of portfolio for all users with support forum. I have no time to be writing everything from scratch the forum and Template/DB classes then I rely on phpBB3.
Modifications to the standard code of phpBB I believe will be very few, so I can start or there will be compatibility problems with the new pages created?
Briani

Post by Briani »

Eelke wrote:
Briani wrote:edit: Huh?
Post by maxwell2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Post by iWisdom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:38 pm

maxwell2 posted first, rude...
Wildly off-topic, but 12:00 pm is actually earlier than 1:00 pm. 12:00 pm follows directly after 11:59 am. Totally confusing, I know. One of the reasons I prefer 24h time notation.
if 24-hours display is activated, should the am/pm not be removed? xd
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Yes the am/pm is then meaningless as it is already defined if using 24 hour notation. eg, 4:00 am is 04:00 and 3:00 pm is 15:00...no need for am/pm on 24 hour.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Briani wrote:
Eelke wrote: Wildly off-topic, but 12:00 pm is actually earlier than 1:00 pm. 12:00 pm follows directly after 11:59 am. Totally confusing, I know. One of the reasons I prefer 24h time notation.
if 24-hours display is activated, should the am/pm not be removed? xd
Well... Yes... I don't see any relation to the quote, though. 12:54 pm is valid 12h-with-am/pm notation. So is 12:54 am.

12:54 am = 0:54 in 24h notation.
12:54 pm = 12:54 in 24h notation.
dahia

Post by dahia »

I'm currently testing the latest RC4 but I'd like to wonder what could this error reflect?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_admin.php on line 194: Undefined index: G_NEWLY_REGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Should i just disable the "new registered" usergroup?
Please advise.
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

dahia wrote:I'm currently testing the latest RC4 but I'd like to wonder what could this error reflect?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_admin.php on line 194: Undefined index: G_NEWLY_REGISTERED
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Should i just disable the "new registered" usergroup?
Please advise.
This topic is meant for discussion of the announcement, support can be obtained in the support forums.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

So how much better will 3.0.6 be at stopping automatic registration bots then 3.0.5 was?
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Seraphic wrote:So how much better will 3.0.6 be at stopping automatic registration bots then 3.0.5 was?
Well, phpBB 3.0.6 will have a completely new plug-in based CAPTCHA system. That basically means that by default nothing has changed, as by default you will still have the same CAPTCHA to show up. You are now able though, to look up CAPTCHA plug-in and very easily install them to get new CAPTCHA's available on your board, which the spambot authors most likely don't know yet how to break. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

JimA wrote:which the spambot authors most likely don't know yet how to break. :)
Over-confident as usual, eh? It's not like they haven't had months of being able to look into the SVN repository. :|
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Dog Cow wrote:Over-confident as usual, eh? It's not like they haven't had months of being able to look into the SVN repository. :|
First of all the CAPTCHA plugins aren't ours so no they wouldn't be able to look into svn. Second of all he said:
JimA wrote:which the spambot authors most likely don't know yet how to break. :)
In other words it's just a matter of time before any specific CAPTCHA gets broken which is why being able to just drop a different one into your forum installation is a good thing. ;)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

JimA wrote:
Seraphic wrote:So how much better will 3.0.6 be at stopping automatic registration bots then 3.0.5 was?
Well, phpBB 3.0.6 will have a completely new plug-in based CAPTCHA system. That basically means that by default nothing has changed, as by default you will still have the same CAPTCHA to show up. You are now able though, to look up CAPTCHA plug-in and very easily install them to get new CAPTCHA's available on your board, which the spambot authors most likely don't know yet how to break. :)
Ah, I see. So say you install three or even six different CAPTCHAs, are you able to force them to be random cycles on the registration page? I.E each time someone tries to register, it will be a different CAPTCHA. Wouldn't that make it harder to register v.i bot? Since it would be quite hard to know which CAPTCHA will appear?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Seraphic wrote:Ah, I see. So say you install three or even six different CAPTCHAs, are you able to force them to be random cycles on the registration page? I.E each time someone tries to register, it will be a different CAPTCHA. Wouldn't that make it harder to register v.i bot? Since it would be quite hard to know which CAPTCHA will appear?
No you can only use one at a time, if you were to pick a random CAPTCHA from 6 installed all the spam bot has to do is keep grabbing new page until it finds one it can solve. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

I think you can only use one at a time, but that's a novel idea :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

ToonArmy wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Ah, I see. So say you install three or even six different CAPTCHAs, are you able to force them to be random cycles on the registration page? I.E each time someone tries to register, it will be a different CAPTCHA. Wouldn't that make it harder to register v.i bot? Since it would be quite hard to know which CAPTCHA will appear?
No you can only use one at a time, if you were to pick a random CAPTCHA from 6 installed all the spam bot has to do is keep grabbing new page until it finds one it can solve. ;)
What about just a voice/spoken based CAPTCHA?
That will stop all auto registration bots cold, no?
Only problem would be those with no speakers/soundcard and hearing impaired.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”