Discuss: phpBB 3.0.6 Release Candidate 4 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.6 Release Candidate 4 released

Post by JimA »

Seraphic wrote: What about just a voice/spoken based CAPTCHA?
That will stop all auto registration bots cold, no?
Only problem would be those with no speakers/soundcard and hearing impaired.
Well, it would be a problem for people out of foreign countries as well.
But you might be able to write something for this... ;)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Seraphic wrote:What about just a voice/spoken based CAPTCHA?
Not necessarily. Interpreting audio to text isn't all that difficult these days.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

It is definitely possible for someone to write an audio based CAPTCHA plugin for the current system.

As Chris said, it would be pointless to allow multiple CAPTCHAs to be operational at the same time (with a random one being displayed) because spam bots would then only need to have the ability to break one of those.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

DavidIQ wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:Over-confident as usual, eh? It's not like they haven't had months of being able to look into the SVN repository. :|
First of all the CAPTCHA plugins aren't ours so no they wouldn't be able to look into svn.
Then it doesn't matter where they are, because the source isn't hidden, and anyone can look into it and see how it works. And what's this?

As soon as I can get ahold of some good OCR software which I can use on the command line, I'm seriously considering making it a personal project of mine to go around and break as many captchas as I can.
Second of all he said:
JimA wrote:which the spambot authors most likely don't know yet how to break. :)
In other words it's just a matter of time before any specific CAPTCHA gets broken which is why being able to just drop a different one into your forum installation is a good thing. ;)
And I was suggesting that they could be broken already.
AdamR wrote:
Seraphic wrote:What about just a voice/spoken based CAPTCHA?
Not necessarily. Interpreting audio to text isn't all that difficult these days.

- Adam
Speech recognition has been around and practical since at least the mid-1990's.

Quite frankly, sometimes I just lean back in my swivel chair with a grin, and wonder what it would be like to just give up. To just let the spammers have it all. To let them saturate the Internet, the whole world, with their filth until no one gives a d*** about it at all. And then they'll have nothing. We'll have moved on.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Dog Cow wrote:And what's this?
You know exactly what it is but I'll clarify it for you: The default CAPTCHAs. Do you see the jQuery one there? Or the Sortables one? Or the Crazy Maths one? etc. etc. :roll:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

DavidIQ wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:And what's this?
You know exactly what it is but I'll clarify it for you: The default CAPTCHAs. Do you see the jQuery one there? Or the Sortables one? Or the Crazy Maths one? etc. etc. :roll:
Then that cuts the spammer's work down. How many people do you suppose are going to go out and install new plug-ins? Most of the people who come to this site can't even get phpBB working on their own (or even installed, for that matter), let alone installing some new code. If people would and could install a new plug-in or other code then they could have installed any number of the MODs which added new captchas and such to phpBB 2 and 3 which have been around for at least 1 to 2 years. I didn't see that happening, from my experience.

In addition, if the spammer bot or whomever has even made it so far as to be able to download a registration page and then a captcha image/code/whatever, then that's already too far, IMO.

From my own experience of wasting my time examining Apache access logs, I've been able to use heuristics-based methods to implement blocks against automated user agents. In addition, I've stopped bots who crawl for email addresses (and God knows what else) by blocking IP addresses who are downloading more than X number of pages per second. I've also discovered that removing all traces of the term 'phpbb' from my site, along with using robots.txt directives to stop search engines from spidering my forums also works wonders from warding off the spammers, harvesters, and skript kiddie idiots who are just out there searching for anything and everything with 'phpbb'.

I've solved the spam problem for myself, so I've gotten what I wanted. I know my solutions work, but I can't say the same for everyone else's problems.
Moof!
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

Dog Cow wrote:Most of the people who come to this site can't even get phpBB working on their own (or even installed, for that matter), let alone installing some new code. If people would and could install a new plug-in ....
Installing a plugin just needs upload of files and config in ACP...
I think admins, unable to handle this, should recheck whether they should be admins... :roll:

And maybe reCaptcha (which is included by default) takes some time on spammers.
No Support via PM
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

The purpose of this system is to make installing new CAPTCHA plugins as simple as possible.

Not everyone will need to install new plugins, only administrators of boards with a spam problem. Those who decide to combat spam will have an easy way of doing so. This is a means of making the job easier for these people, not for solving the entire spam problem on the internet for everyone.

Dog Cow, do you actually have a point or are you just in dissenting mood?
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
LiquidSpark

CSS3 support

Post by LiquidSpark »

Will phpBB 3.0.6 start incorporating CSS3, or is this planned for a future release? (So, for example, a complete removal of all JavaScript code and replacing such code with CSS.)
Desdenova

Re: CSS3 support

Post by Desdenova »

LiquidSpark wrote:Will phpBB 3.0.6 start incorporating CSS3, or is this planned for a future release? (So, for example, a complete removal of all JavaScript code and replacing such code with CSS.)
No. There are some things that CSS can't do, and most of this is covered by the already-existing JS.
The stuff that makes the BBcode buttons work can't be done in CSS, be it CSS 2 or CSS 3. ;)
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Adding CSS3 support would be nice, but only certain browsers support CSS3 attributes - and not all CSS attrib's at that. It's not a finished specification yet afaik, so it might be better waiting until it is ;) Maybe the next version will have something in it (3.1 or 3.2?).
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Marshalrusty wrote: Dog Cow, do you actually have a point or are you just in dissenting mood?
Oops, you caught me. :oops:

I was probably just grouchy yesterday. :|

Actually, if you don't mind me continuing the spam topic, I have read some articles which have lead me to believe that Google is either directly or indirectly responsible for most of the spam which gets sent around the web and Internet-- from doing web searches to find sites and forums, to gmail accounts used to send spam, Blogspot sites set up just for spam, and Google Groups being used to send Usenet spam, etc. What to do? :|
Moof!
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Marshalrusty wrote:Dog Cow, do you actually have a point or are you just in dissenting mood?
Dog Cow's point seems to be that phpBB should solve the spam problem so he can claim ownership of the solution, by removing any reference to phpBB and replacing the phpBB copyright notice with his own, as he has done with the rest of the phpBB code on his site.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Oyabun1 wrote:Dog Cow's point seems to be that phpBB should solve the spam problem so he can claim ownership of the solution, by removing any reference to phpBB and replacing the phpBB copyright notice with his own, as he has done with the rest of the phpBB code on his site.
That's totally uncalled for, phpBB is GPL he may do as he pleases within the conditions set by the license.
Chris SmithGitHub
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Oyabun1 wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Dog Cow, do you actually have a point or are you just in dissenting mood?
Dog Cow's point seems to be that phpBB should solve the spam problem so he can claim ownership of the solution, by removing any reference to phpBB and replacing the phpBB copyright notice with his own, as he has done with the rest of the phpBB code on his site.
Of course, you are assuming that my forums are powered by phpBB. :roll:

And maybe I should have made my point clearer. I was trying to get across the message that solving the spam problem for one's own self is relatively easy; solving the problem for a larger population is much more difficult.

So, I am saying that it's a good start for phpBB to give people more options and such for spam-prevention (providing that these people take advantage of said options) but IMO, the spam problem needs to be solved at a "lower level" closer to the source.
Moof!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”