Discussion : Faster 3.0.6 and acm modules

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Discussion : Faster 3.0.6 and acm modules

Post by ChriZathens » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:31 am

Hello guys! I read the announcement about 3.0.6 (yeahhh.. :D ) and I was hoping we could discuss the performance enhancements a bit:
  1. Acyd Burn wrote:This release fixes numerous bugs, introduces some major features, as well as improves stability and performance.
  2. Acyd Burn wrote: Introduced new ACM (Cache) plugins. (Please consult our support forums for help if you need to use one of the new ACM plugins)

* null (to disable caching completely)
    * memcache
    * APC
    * XCache
    * eAccelerator
  1. Could you elaborate on this? I mean I don't need any technical details. Just a discussion about where should we expect to see better speeds?
  2. I suppose that you have made plenty of test using those accelerators. Which option is the best (your opinion)?
    Do we have any comparison data to see the - logically - better performance compared to file caching?
    If our live servers don't have any accelerator plugins, are there any good arguments to present to our hosts in order to have them install any accelerators?
Just a simple discussion in order to educate people (including myself of course )regarding the new features
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Discussion : Faster 3.0.6 and acm modules

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm

I haven't got any data on #2, but I do know that the performance of read/unread tracking has improved in 3.0.6. The default file acm module has also been improved. We're probably talking about thousandths of a second in page generation time.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm

On my test server I have installed xcache, eAccelerator and memcache..
I cannot come to any useful conclusions, yet, though, because my test forum is still in 3.0.5 (I copied the modules from 3.0.6 SVN and enabled them in config.php)
So, although I admit that my test forum has little to null traffic I can't say that I've seen any speed changes, because I understand that the performance increase is not only in the acm modules, but in the code, too.....
My live server does not have any accelerators installed. I will have to persuade my host to install one and try to notice any differences..
I'm actually very interested in seeing whether there is a noticeable performance improvement, since I have a relatively big forum and use shared hosting. I have no performance issues ATM but it is always nice to realize if I can avoid the Dedicated server cost for a while longer... :)

Anyways, I would be happy to see any comparison data here from anyone that has tested these acm modules.. ;)
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Any of the memory modules, memcache, APC, XCache, eAccelerator will offer significant performance advantages over the file cache method. Using the default Apache process model any opcode cache will be duplicated once for each PHP process and therefore memcache would offer a more efficient use of memory.
Chris SmithGitHub

cdinz

Post by cdinz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:16 pm

How do we enable these modules?

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:18 pm

cdinz wrote:How do we enable these modules?
This can be done in config.php.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 pm

Can you check (with some kind of code or php info) if and which modules are installed? Or can this only be done by asking my host?

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Tazmanian wrote:Can you check (with some kind of code or php info) if and which modules are installed? Or can this only be done by asking my host?
The cache plugins mostly aim at advanced users running boards on dedicated servers. I would not expect any notable benefit in a shared hosting scenario.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:14 am

Personally i have all installed. Only managed to get xcache working. But i cannot detect or messure in diffrence when i add is as a cache in config.php, load time etc are the same. Any idea why ?

eaccelerator still has a issue also mentioned here. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 75&start=0

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined function eaccelerator_get() in /var/www/phpbb3/includes/acm/acm_eaccelerator.php on line 74
As i remember highway of life fixed this by changing something in eaccelerator itself. He just didnt mentioned what. I thought it would be fixed in 3.0.6 so it would work without editing eaccelerator but it doesnt seem so.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 am

DoYouSpeakWak wrote:As i remember highway of life fixed this by changing something in eaccelerator itself. He just didnt mentioned what. I thought it would be fixed in 3.0.6 so it would work without editing eaccelerator but it doesnt seem so.
I've been running .0.6 with the various cache plugins since August, never had any trouble with eaccelerator or gotten that error message. If you think it's a bug in the plugin as opposed to a configuration setting you should report it in the bug tracker. :)

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:23 am

narqelion wrote:
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:As i remember highway of life fixed this by changing something in eaccelerator itself. He just didnt mentioned what. I thought it would be fixed in 3.0.6 so it would work without editing eaccelerator but it doesnt seem so.
I've been running .0.6 with the various cache plugins since August, never had any trouble with eaccelerator or gotten that error message. If you think it's a bug in the plugin as opposed to a configuration setting you should report it in the bug tracker. :)
eaccelerator works fine and it surely improves the loading and speed of the board. But when added in config.php i and others get that error above. It should be mentioned in the bugtracker. But it seems its allready being handled http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11293185
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 am

So far I've only seen the two of you report it as an issue, like I said it's working fine for me. The only advantage to opening a ticket in the tracker is that both you and ChriZathens can provide more detail to the devs on your particular server/eAccelerator configurations. :)

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 pm

If you want the eaccelerator plugin to work you will also need eaccelerator installed. The place to go for this would be: http://eaccelerator.net/
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:53 am

eviL<3 wrote:If you want the eaccelerator plugin to work you will also need eaccelerator installed. The place to go for this would be: http://eaccelerator.net/
It should refuse to run without the extension ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

GameVixenZone

Post by GameVixenZone » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:27 pm

I have this plugin enabled and also get this error too.

Version 	0.9.6-rc1
Caching Enabled 	true 

Fatal error: Call to undefined function eaccelerator_get() in /home/xxx/public_html/gvz/includes/acm/acm_eaccelerator.php on line 74

Return to “phpBB Discussion”