phpbb3 to phpbb2

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
runehints
Registered User
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:00 pm

phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by runehints »

Hello

I used to use phpbb2. My site and forums was popular, in 3 years, we had 63,000 posts. However, When phpbb3 came out we lost 95% of all our members.

Over the next 2 years, (18 months) our post count is just 2,000.

Is there someway to make people think the forums is phpbb2?
Is it recommended to downgrade?
What is the best option for me?
All advise is welcome.
User avatar
DiegoPino
Registered User
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:30 am
Location: Colombia
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by DiegoPino »

runehints wrote:Hello

I used to use phpbb2. My site and forums was popular, in 3 years, we had 63,000 posts. However, When phpbb3 came out we lost 95% of all our members.

Over the next 2 years, (18 months) our post count is just 2,000.

Is there someway to make people think the forums is phpbb2?
Is it recommended to downgrade?
What is the best option for me?
All advise is welcome.
Hmmmm... maybe the users not like the style.... search a style like phpbb2.

Can doit a pool asking for the users....

i recommended continue with phpbb3, just implemento some mods and styles like the users.

Coordial Saludo

bye :ugeek:
We11World [ Winning Eleven ] , Blog , PinoStudio1 , Archive Forums
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29298
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Marshalrusty »

Hello,

I find it unlikely that people stopped using your board just because you converted from phpBB2 to phpBB3. If what you say is true, then my first question would be: what style are you using?

From a usability point of view, phpBB3 is really not different enough from phpBB2 to warrant rebellion of the kind you describe. I would say that phpBB3 is much easier to use in most cases.

We do not provide a convertor from phpBB3 to phpBB2, mostly because phpBB2 is no longer supported. Rather than taking this route, you should identify the issues that your users are having with the board and fix those.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 16052
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milano 🇮🇹 - Frankfurt 🇩🇪
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by 3Di »

runehints wrote:Hello

I used to use phpbb2. My site and forums was popular, in 3 years, we had 63,000 posts. However, When phpbb3 came out we lost 95% of all our members.

Over the next 2 years, (18 months) our post count is just 2,000.

Is there someway to make people think the forums is phpbb2?
Is it recommended to downgrade?
What is the best option for me?
All advise is welcome.
and the link to that forum is?
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
User avatar
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: 192.168.1.100
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Ger »

My guess is it has something to do with http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11067005
runehints wrote:I closed the forums for about 10 months.
You users probably didn't sit back and wait for the return of the forum but simply searched for an alternative.

Edit: I agree mostly with The Scape in this topic on your forum. Your perception of internet communities doesn't seem quite realistic.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
runehints
Registered User
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by runehints »

I had to close the forums this year, 1 year after the users left.

I have spoken to our users who stayed around, they want us to convert to vbulletin, phpbb2, or IPB. Somehow they really don't like phpbb3.

We have used prosilver and subsilver as default templates.

I myself find using the admin panel much more challenging than phpbb2.

phpbb2 forums. http://runehints.com/forum2/
phpbb3 forums http://runehints.com/forums/index.php
daman2k
Registered User
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by daman2k »

Change the phpbb3 default style, I had it up for about a day and a bit when i convered to 3.0.6 and my members said they couldnt find there way around it and dint like it and pretty much stopped posting
Check out my clubbing holiday forum

Clubbing holiday forum
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29298
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Marshalrusty »

daman2k wrote:Change the phpbb3 default style, I had it up for about a day and a bit when i convered to 3.0.6 and my members said they couldnt find there way around it and dint like it and pretty much stopped posting
I hate to say it, but that's the kind of feedback that doesn't help :)

A great amount of work went into prosilver and many people like it (just see its release topic). Now, if there are specific things that your users complained about, then we would like to hear them, but this "change the phpbb3 default style" approach doesn't move us anywhere. Change it to what?
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
User avatar
Sam
Former Team Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:59 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Name: Sam Thompson
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Sam »

Have you considered the possibly that your forum's context itself just lost interest? Any forum based around some some dated media will have a lifespan significantly shorter than other more broad topic forums. I am saying this mostly because RuneScape isn't as popular than it was back when your forum first started.
User avatar
Dog Cow
Registered User
Posts: 2500
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Dog Cow »

SyntaxError90 wrote:Any forum based around some some dated media will have a lifespan significantly shorter than other more broad topic forums.
I guess they'll have to shut down my forum and some other forums to which I belong that talk about vintage Apple II and Mac computers, then. :cry:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
runehints
Registered User
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by runehints »

To be honest, I don't know why they left, over 95% of our members left, which is alot, all our members just suddenly left, however they all left to our rivals... and one by one, our remainder members left now we have just 10 members who are around, posts have slowed to a hult.

We have had 2,000 posts give or take a couple of hunderd in the past 2 years, we was getthing that per week on phpbb2.

I thought it was our template, which I have been trying to get remade for phpbb3. From what I can work out users want something simple, which phpbb2 was compared to phpbb3.
daman2k
Registered User
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by daman2k »

Marshalrusty wrote:
daman2k wrote:Change the phpbb3 default style, I had it up for about a day and a bit when i convered to 3.0.6 and my members said they couldnt find there way around it and dint like it and pretty much stopped posting
I hate to say it, but that's the kind of feedback that doesn't help :)

A great amount of work went into prosilver and many people like it (just see its release topic). Now, if there are specific things that your users complained about, then we would like to hear them, but this "change the phpbb3 default style" approach doesn't move us anywhere. Change it to what?
Sorry i think that came across wrong. I personally liked pro silver it looks very modern.
How ever my community started on phpbb2, now when i upgrade to phpbb3 they dint like it either. Why? Simply because it was different i think. I then changed the style and when it came to update to 3.0.6 the style wasnt updated so i used prosilver. Now they didnt want to lose the style i changed to which is why i think they were so against prosilver. At the end of the day you have to keep them happy.
They complained that pro silver was to difficult to navigage, they didnt like the poster detail being on the right, it was hard to get to grips with, confused them and "they just prefer the old style" Im confident that if they used it for a while they would of got used to it just like they did when i first updated to phpbb3.
At the end of the day thats why styles are released, i understand that pro silver took a lot of work and i appricate everything you do for phpbb. But if you dont like it, change it. Prosilver is a good style but it isnt for everyone.

Thats my personal view.
Last edited by daman2k on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my clubbing holiday forum

Clubbing holiday forum
User avatar
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: 192.168.1.100
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by Ger »

It's true that more conservative people don't like change, whatever that change is. But a good administrator knows his "flock" and anticipates. On my sword forums the visitors are quite conservative as well, so I started to develop a style of my own around the release of phpBB 3.0.RC2. With Subsilver2 as inspiration, that's true. Didn't loose any members in the process, most people just like it. 8)

As for Runehints: are your rivals running on phpBB2? Only than you may have a point. If they don't, than it is not very logical to say that's the reason your visitors left.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
runehints
Registered User
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by runehints »

Yes, they was running phpbb2.

However they are now running a different system, and are even more popular.
User avatar
drathbun
Former Team Member
Posts: 12204
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: TOPICS_TABLE
Contact:

Re: phpbb3 to phpbb2

Post by drathbun »

In my opinion, there's something else going on. People don't join (or leave) a site based on the tool in use. When you upgraded to phpBB3 you could have used the updated subSilver template and it would not have been that far away from a standard phpBB2 board would have looked.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Image
Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”