Forums intergrated into website.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
s3cur17y

Forums intergrated into website.

Post by s3cur17y » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Hello,

I am looking to make my forum setup integrated into my website. I am not a php programmer nor is my web design experience the greatest, but I do at least have a clue what is going on. But could someone help me customize the forums to my site, or point me in the right direction...

-s3cur17y

Realisty

Re: Forums intergrated into website.

Post by Realisty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:49 am

You can take a look in the wiki http://wiki.phpbb.com/ ;)
And on the blog there has been talks about it too http://blog.phpbb.com/ ;)

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Could someone suggest some search terms? I'm having trouble finding the right key words to do this.

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:57 pm

You're going to have to become at least comfortable with some PHP to integrate it with your website. :)

A very helpful topic, in which I personally found to be a great resource, is the Full Site Integration topic. You only need the first 5-6 pages.

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:43 am

SyntaxError90 wrote:You're going to have to become at least comfortable with some PHP to integrate it with your website. :)

A very helpful topic, in which I personally found to be a great resource, is the Full Site Integration topic. You only need the first 5-6 pages.
Thanks, I'll get on it.

I already have the phpBB3 forum partially integrated (it's certainly useable), but there are various issues, looks-wise (mainly my regular header and nav bars are squashed and too wide, and the forum is full screen instead of complying with my margins).

I've now dealt with both of those issues with work-arounds that I've figured out, but still, it's definitely not a perfect transition from my other pages to the forum (because I did workaround coding, not proper coding, I guess).

Anyway, so yeah, I need to learn a bit more. I'll follow your link and start reading (though that will doubtless raise more questions for me!).
Last edited by therealdmt on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 pm

SyntaxError90 wrote:You're going to have to become at least comfortable with some PHP to integrate it with your website. :)

Hmm, well, I've read through almost 20 pages of that 96 page thread now, but they are all concerned with issues relating to logging in on one part of the site and having that carry over throught the site (including phpBB3 and non-phpBB3 parts), and issues like that.

My concerns are simply visual. I just want the phpBB3 forum to appear within my regular (very simple) webpage template. I've gotten close, but not perfect, so far.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:26 pm

therealdmt wrote:My concerns are simply visual. I just want the phpBB3 forum to appear within my regular (very simple) webpage template. I've gotten close, but not perfect, so far.
So it's more of a style-related question then? What style are you using for your forum?
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

therealdmt wrote:My concerns are simply visual. I just want the phpBB3 forum to appear within my regular (very simple) webpage template. I've gotten close, but not perfect, so far.
Check out the Problems Getting Common Site Logo and Menu Bar Positioned topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 am

Tom wrote:
So it's more of a style-related question then? What style are you using for your forum?
I'm using prosilver (changed to have green bars instead of the standard blue, via colorizeit's program). I'm happy with the style, but I just want the forum to be embedded in one of my regular webpages (so the page would have my website's standard margins and header and nav bar. I've now actually done that, but the implmentation isn't perfect.

1) the font size and in one case color on my website's regular header bar changed
2) The dimensions of my website's header and nav bars changed (became thinner)
3) The tables I used to create the nav buttons now don't seem to accept padding and are too thin
4) The forum ignored my margins and spread all the way across the page from left to right, also stretching out my website's regular header and nav bars

Well, I've created at least workarounds to everything but #3 above, but I don't think I did it the "proper" way (like I used a bigger font size to force the table cells to be bigger, and other workarounds like that).

And the website's (not the forum, but my regular website's) header and nav bars still don't look quite right, but rather similar to the other pages in my website. I'll have to check on other sized screens and browsers to see how it carries over, but it looks okay-ish on my computer (17" screen, WindowsZP + IE). With Firefox, the differences are more apparent, though.
Last edited by therealdmt on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

therealdmt

Post by therealdmt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 am

Pony99CA wrote:
Check out the Problems Getting Common Site Logo and Menu Bar Positioned topic.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I found that one too and have been reading/using it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm

how about a link to what you have so we can offer some suggestions maybe.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”