Discussion: phpBB is falling behind?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Son of a Beach

Re: Discussion: phpBB is falling behind?

Post by Son of a Beach »

Yes, the whole concept of "Mods" is less than ideal. The fact that Mod stands for Modifications and not Modules is a bit sad. What it really amounts to is hacking the source code in order achieve the desired behaviour.

Modules or plugins that did not require any changes to the actual source code files would be sooooo much easier to manage.

Like others, I try to avoid Mods (modifications to the source code) as much as possible, in order to keep the system maintainable.

The improved auto-updater has certainly improved things a bit, but it should not be necessary to go through that kind of procedure at all. In an ideal world, modules/plugins would not need to be considered during the upgrade at all, and if they didn't work after the upgrade (due to compatability problems) you could just switch them off with a single button in the admin panel.

I believe that phpBB developers are planning to improve this situation in future versions, but that would seem to be a long way into the future (ie, probably years rather than months, but of course they'll never actually provide an estimate for new release times).

Don't get me wrong... I love phpBB, and I'm sorry if this sounds like a complaint. I'm merely stating the situation as I see it. In the mean time, I'll continue to use phpBB and be happy to do so.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Just to give the term a little context, "MOD" came into use at phpBB.com when theFinn decided that the term "hack"--which is what modifications to the phpBB core had been called, officially--had grown too many negative connotations. So really, MOD came into use before the idea of modules/plug-ins was part of the PHP world. It's regrettable (and understandable) that confusion surrounds the term now, but that's really an accident.
We should talk less, and say more.
unuseddiskspace

Post by unuseddiskspace »

PhpBB meets the needs of 98% of forum users. They are many unnecessary bells and whistles but very few need them.
seeking forum script for my coupon site.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

umarizal wrote:I referred also to other techniques that are not currently employed in phpBB and that make a site more visible in search results at Google, Yahoo and others.
I'm curious as to what 'other techniques' you are referring to? :)

This is a fascinating discussion, I think we're planning on discussing this further on the phpBB Weekly podcast Saturday.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Highway of Life wrote: This is a fascinating discussion, I think we're planning on discussing this further on the phpBB Weekly podcast Saturday.
So there will be a new podcast soon? If so, excellent, because I really like reading the podcasts and listening to the blog entries. :)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Dog Cow wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: This is a fascinating discussion, I think we're planning on discussing this further on the phpBB Weekly podcast Saturday.
So there will be a new podcast soon? If so, excellent, because I really like reading the podcasts and listening to the blog entries. :)
LOL, there is a podcast every week. And that is some talent. I've never heard of anybody that can read podcasts while being able to listen to blog posts. :D
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Highway of Life wrote:LOL, there is a podcast every week.
You may think it's funny, but I didn't know that they came out so often. Why aren't they on the front page like the blogs?
Moof!
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Dog Cow wrote:
You may think it's funny, but I didn't know that they came out so often. Why aren't they on the front page like the blogs?
phpBB Weekly is a third-party podcast and is unofficial. While team members may occasionally be guests, it is not maintained or endorsed by phpBB.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

AdamR wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
phpBB Weekly is a third-party podcast and is unofficial. While team members may occasionally be guests, it is not maintained or endorsed by phpBB.
The phpBB Group ought to loosen up a bit an endorse the phpBB podcast. It's silly not to.
Moof!
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

By endorse, I mean that the podcast's hosts and/or guests may express opinions or speculate about upcoming happenings in the phpBB world that may not necessarily be true. We have absolutely no problem with the podcast taking place, we definitely encourage people to produce podcasts like this (as it gets community involvement), and a lot of team members are more than happy to participate as guests on the podcast from time to time. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Dog Cow wrote:It's silly not to.
:shock:

That sounds just a little presumptuous to me.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

I have been running a gaming for for almost 2 years now and its doing quite well (also have another sports forum for like 2.5 years now).. I have installed some 7-8 big/small mods (Quick reply, Handy mans chat, Bbcode, RSS, Site Map etc etc) and it was fine.. But offlate members have been complaining how much featureless the forum is compared to comparable websites.. I guess i will soon be moving my forum to IPb or vbulletin i guess :(

I know there are mods but its really a pain in the a$$ managing all mods and looking for updates and compatibility and when a new version of phpBB comes out updating the website theme and stuff.. Now i kinda feel its too much bother seriously (actually i loved updating my boards,i loved editing uplaoding files and stuff and it gave a sense of accomplishment or something :lol: )

Some of the features/options i wish phpBB had are..
1. Ability to custom define Permalink with each thread.. something like wordpress.. also with this statics html links instead of dynamic urls and Site Map.
Ok yeah stop giving phpbb post example pls.. every site is not as popular as phpbb

2. OUT of the box OPEN ID and Facebok connect support. Everyone have that these days :|

3. And i am sorry to say i am kinda dissapointed with the kind of themes phpbb have.. I know you guys probably cant do much but out of all the themes in phpBB database there are barely 10 themes which i like and 2-3 themes which i can use but theme again 100s of sites are already using those.. IPB and vbullteing have much better paid/free theme collection tbh
PS: i ahve no frikking clue why white-fusion shut down.. Frost was awesome

4. A proper PROFILE page.. A proper profile page is a must imo.. If we want to start a community instead of just a forum discussion we need a proper profle page.. I am tired of modding profile page.. Just look as IPB profile page, it looks just plain awesome

5. Easier to update forum and wordpress like plugin system.. If nothing else do something so that auto install work for all the themes and ffs just discontinue sub silver based theme.. i dont even know why that exists.. prosilver is just so much better :|

6. Try to get the majors mods like Arcade, Chat etc out of RC and beta stage and advertise on main website.. It just assures the users that atleast these mods wont be discontinued.. I just love how they advertise Blog system (Exreaction one is aweosme btw) on the main site and advertise

PS: yeah i know phpBB is free and then most of you will be like we dont need to copy other forum/cms system or 70% of forums dont need arcade or chat system or any other feature but seriously i am just pissed that i will have to move from my favourite forum system coz my members need something really flashy and nice which phpBB cant provide :|
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

We've had quite a few discussions about stuff like this in the past and that's the reason why we are working on a lot of different changes (the new development model with 3.1.x and 4.x and a bunch of other non-public projects being discussed and worked on behind the scenes).

4.x should fix a lot of the problems with modifications plus a bunch more features (give that one a few years)
3.1 will just add more features
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Nothing can be all things to all people.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

btw wanted to ask if there any possibility for phpbb to officially develop anything like IP converge?? i mean single sign on for various cms with phpBB.. There are various Joomla-phpBB bridges but ive yet to see a proper wp-phpBB bridge an ditl be great if phpbb can officially support something like that

Return to “phpBB Discussion”