[EVENT] [Thu Jul 22 2010 | Portland, OR] OSCONvasion 2010

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

[EVENT] [Thu Jul 22 2010 | Portland, OR] OSCONvasion 2010

Post by webmacster87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 am

We had a great time yet again at this year's OSCONvasion. Thanks so much to Cullen (ckwalsh) who spearheaded the planning and preparation of phpBB's awesome booth in the OSCON Expo Hall, and delivered a presentation about phpBB during our Thursday evening BoF. Thanks also to Yuriy (Marshalrusty), Nathan (EXreaction), and Sam (SyntaxError90) who also helped out a lot with everything else that went into making OSCONvasion a success.

Links to More Media & Content from OSCONvasion 2010: I don't know if I'll be spearheading an OSCONvasion in 2011, but I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to put this event on over the past two years. Thanks again to everyone who helped make this a reality! Now it's off to Libertyvasion in only 4 weeks! :)
The Original OSCONvasion 2010 Post wrote:OSCONvasion started in 2009 out of a desire to hold a meetup in the San Francisco Bay Area. On a last-minute suggestion, we wound up organizing a meetup in San Jose, California alongside the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON); we called the event OSCONvasion 2009.

This year, OSCON has moved to Portland, Oregon, so we've decided to follow it up north by putting on another meetup. The focus of OSCONvasion is a semiformal "Berties of a Feather" session/mini-unconference, complemented with a number of other informal social events during the week. This year, the phpBB teams are joining us and will be hosting an official booth at the OSCON Expo Hall. We're very excited to be collaborating with them this year.

The 411
Who: phpBB users in the Western United States, Open Source Convention-goers, or anyone else interested in phpBB
What: A meetup event coinciding with the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON)
Where: Oregon Convention Center; Portland, Oregon, USA
When: Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM (and other events during the week)
Why: Because we did, because we're going to again, and because we're still awesome!
(Plus, if you're on the West Coast, and can't make it to Libertyvasion 2010, then attending OSCONvasion is the next best thing!)

The OSCONvasion Master Plan
Wednesday, July 21
10:00 AM-4:30 PM: OSCON Expo Hall Hours; phpBB Booth open
6:00-7:00 PM: OSCON Expo Hall Reception; phpBB Booth open

Thursday, July 22
10:00 AM-5:00 PM: OSCON Expo Hall Hours; phpBB Booth open
7:00 PM: OSCONvasion 2010 phpBB "Berties of a Feather" (BoF) Session at the Convention Center, Room D136
After the BoF: Open Group Dinner at Burgerville (two blocks from the Convention Center)

The Main Attraction!
Sure, OSCON actually calls them Birds of a Feather Sessions, but that's not going to stop us from doing it our own way. Our hour-long BoF session will be a semi-formal mini-unconference, where individuals can make presentations about anything pertaining to phpBB/building communities/etc., and can ask questions of the phpBB team members and of each other.

Presenters will include Lorelle VanFossen (of Lorelle on WordPress), Cullen Walsh (Moderator Team Member), and Douglas Bell (OSCONvasion Organizer), as well as others (if time).

If you can't make it, the event will also be streamed live on phpBB Weekly, and listeners online will be welcome to participate over phpBB Weekly's chat room. The stream will start at 10:00 PM EDT (0200 UTC on Fri morning).

If you're coming, be sure you register (for free) with OSCON. Then, help us promote this session by adding it to your schedule!

Cost of Admission
Surprise! There is no cost required to attend OSCONvasion!
However, you must register with OSCON in order to attend. But here's the great part, that's free, too! That's right, an Expo Hall Only registration, which gets you into the Expo Hall and all on-site networking events and BoF sessions, is completely free, regardless whether you register in advance or on-site. Just be sure you register. ;)

However, if you're planning to come to the Thursday evening group dinner, plan to budget $10-$15. And if you're planning to come visit the museum with us on Friday, bring $4 for bus fare. Admission to the museum is $11 (w/o OMNIMAX movie) or $16 (w/ OMNIMAX movie), though group pricing may be available if our group is large enough.

I Want to Come!
Awesome! Please do us a favor and RSVP in this topic so we can have an idea of who's coming. If you can't make it, we will also be live-streaming the "Berties of a Feather" session on phpBB Weekly (with video).

Who's Coming (so far):
webmacster87 (OSCONvasion Organizer)
ckwalsh (Moderator Team, phpBB OSCON Booth Organizer)
SyntaxError90 (MOD Team)
EXreaction (MOD Team)
Marshalrusty (Support Team)
Last edited by webmacster87 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: [Jul 21-23 2010 | Portland, OR] OSCONvasion 2010

Post by Sam » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:52 pm

There is a chance I will be there, but it remains unclear for now as it is quite early.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm

SyntaxError90 wrote:There is a chance I will be there, but it remains unclear for now as it is quite early.
Likewise.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 am

Those of you who listen to my podcast may know who Lorelle VanFossen is from our recent interview with her. She just confirmed to me in an e-mail that she'll be coming to OSCONvasion! She's an awesome public speaker, and even though she works primarily with WordPress (not phpBB) she still knows a lot of stuff about reaching out to a website audience and other things that are very relevant to phpBB admins and users.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 am

Portland is a 6 hour drive, chance is high that we will be there, but it's very early right now to say for sure.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:45 pm

FYI, phpBB will be having a booth this year.
Eric

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Awesome, Eric!

I've updated the first post to clarify the distinction between the phpBB booth (which is being run/managed by the phpBB teams and is not directly related to the planning of the OSCONvasion meetup), and this OSCONvasion meetup (which is being run/managed primarily by me, who will NOT be representing phpBB in any official capacity). That's not to say that we won't be collaborating was we prepare for OSCON 2010 over the next six months, but simply to indicate that different entities will be responsible for different phpBB-related events. ;)

MasterZ

Post by MasterZ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm submitting my request for vacation already. I missed last year but will be there this year. :)

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:27 am

Douglas, I will be bringing my HD camera, however, because it is High-Definition, I will not be able stream the video of the BoF session. HD video is not easily converted or compressed on the fly. So this video would be mainly useful for later uploading. - And of course, useful for interviews around the Expo Center. :)
Someone would still need to bring a video camera that we could use for streaming if we wanted to do that again.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

josh101

Post by josh101 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:26 am

cool portland is a 3 hour walk for me.....less then a 20min drive. Anyways sounds coolif Im still in the area I will go. Im trying to get in the navy so I dont know if I will still be in Vancouver or not. Sounds cool. :lol:

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Anyone forget about this topic? Thought Libertyvasion was going to beat this one out? Well, not any longer. ;)

Details for this year's OSCONvasion will be published here tomorrow, after being announced on tomorrow's episode of phpBB Weekly, so stay tuned...

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam » Sat May 22, 2010 9:18 am

My status has changed, I will most likely be there.

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Re: [Thu Jul 22 2010 | Portland, OR] OSCONvasion 2010

Post by webmacster87 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:37 pm

The first post has been updated with the finalized information for OSCONvasion. Much more info is also available on the OSCONvasion 2010 website.

webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 am

Only two and a half weeks left! Anyone else planning to come? If you don't see your name listed at the bottom of the first post, then I don't know you're coming! So please give us a heads up, thanks!

MasterZ

Post by MasterZ » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:48 am

You can cross my name off the list, I ran out of money :(

Return to “phpBB Discussion”