Page 1 of 1

are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:35 pm
by nick1200
are we aloud to edit the index page to adds our own adds two it ?
i have it on my own server so should be fine server wise just wondering if its agenst the rules ?
( i know how to but think its best if i ask first )

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm
by Marshalrusty
I would recommend reading the license or the FAQs

Yes, you can add your own ads.

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm
by nick1200
I only asked for a yes or no answer :?

it says this

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.



but i dont understand it it says i can then i cant




P.s Thank you

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 pm
by AdamR
In simple terms (there are more in depth elements, however), the GPL states this: You can modify it in any way, shape, or form to your heart's desire provided two main things are true: 1) The original author's copyright is left intact as well as a notice that you have changed some things and 2) If you distribute your modified code, you must also release it under the GPL license.

Again, there are more complex elements, but that's the basic principal. :)

As for the one word answer to your question: yes. ;)

- Adam

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:50 pm
by nick1200
How would i go about adding some ?
id just edit the style ? and not the main phpbb index file ill edit the index.html file in the style folder ( my style im using )

?

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm
by ric323
Start with this article form the Knowledge Base.
Knowledge Base - Advertisements in phpBB3

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:12 pm
by 3Di
nick1200 wrote:are we aloud to edit the index page to adds our own adds two it ?
i have it on my own server so should be fine server wise just wondering if its agenst the rules ?
( i know how to but think its best if i ask first )
Plain English?
/me having hard times in order to get your point.
Thank you. :)

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:02 am
by Pony99CA
3Di wrote:
nick1200 wrote:are we aloud to edit the index page to adds our own adds two it ?
i have it on my own server so should be fine server wise just wondering if its agenst the rules ?
( i know how to but think its best if i ask first )
Plain English?
/me having hard times in order to get your point.
Thank you. :)
He's asking if he's allowed (not "aloud") to edit code to add (not "adds") ads (not "adds") to (not "two") the code.

Steve

P.S. Pot, meet kettle. :D You should have said, "I'm having a hard time getting your point." I presume that you're both non-native English speakers, which is fine, but you probably shouldn't criticize somebody else's poor English until yours is impeccable. ;) However, both were good enough that I (and apparently the previous posters) could understand them.

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:11 am
by 3Di
Pony99CA wrote:
3Di wrote:
nick1200 wrote:are we aloud to edit the index page to adds our own adds two it ?
i have it on my own server so should be fine server wise just wondering if its agenst the rules ?
( i know how to but think its best if i ask first )
Plain English?
/me having hard times in order to get your point.
Thank you. :)
He's asking if he's allowed (not "aloud") to edit code to add (not "adds") ads (not "adds") to (not "two") the code.

Steve

P.S. Pot, meet kettle. :D You should have said, "I'm having a hard time getting your point." I presume that you're both non-native English speakers, which is fine, but you probably shouldn't criticize somebody else's poor English until yours is impeccable. ;) However, both were good enough that I was able to understand them.
Yes, I'm Italian. The difference lies where I can perfectly read English (plain) but write it, because I learnt (learned) English myself. That does not means I can't understand that kind of 'slang' (name it that way or whatever else), the other side is: why (we, foreigners) have to hardly get the points into an International Board?

/End of rant.

Thanks.

edit: not to nitpicking here, did you notice mine: /me.. if you are enough skilled about internet you can see that my 'simple thought' it is quite right because it is like a 'note to myself'.
Hope you will get the point.

Re: are we aloud to do this ?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 am
by Anon
I think this topic has run its course. The question has been answered, therefore the topic can be left to rest now, rather than turn into a discussion about english standards