Reset Default permissions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide

Reset Default permissions

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm

By default phpBB comes with an excellent set of default permissions that should cover 95% or more of users.
I've noticed though that there are a lot of posts made by users who have messed up their boards permissions and they come to the support Forums for help getting them reset. Why not add a reset default permissions button in the ACP in the next version to help these users recover and start again? Setting permissions is easy once you understand them but there is a learning curve for new users and I think a reset would cut way down on support requests.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Re: Reset Default permissions

Postby stevemaury » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:26 pm

The default permissions of phpbb would result in none of the categories or forums created by the user being visible.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

http://www.stevesstocks.com

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Name: Steve

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Sorry, I was think more of the User and group permissions, people tend to set never permissions in User Permissions for Registered users and then wonder why they themselves can't do what they prohibited, a reset would solve that. It wouldn't have to reset Forum permissions.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Postby stevemaury » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

There is such a way. Apply the roles.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:15 pm

I know how to set permissions, I'm making a suggestion for future versions to make YOUR job easier in the support Forums. It can't be done NOW, I understand, but there is NO reason it couldn't be included in a FUTURE version of phpBB.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 am

personally, I think the whole permissions system needs to be redone in the next version ( even if it is php4 )

It is a mess and accounts for a very large percentage of support requests ever since phpbb3 came out.

However, when you install phpbb3 , it does show the default category and forum and post to guests. you do have to login to post.

robert
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby Desdenova » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 am

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I know how to set permissions, I'm making a suggestion for future versions to make YOUR job easier in the support Forums. It can't be done NOW, I understand, but there is NO reason it couldn't be included in a FUTURE version of phpBB.

Possibly something for the STK? I dunno.
Desdenova

Postby chazcon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 pm

I have to agree that the entire permissions system, while powerful and flexible, is very counter-intuitive and brain racking to set up for the first time phpBB user.
chazcon

Postby naturalremediesforum » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:18 pm

pbpbb permission-setting is way too complicated for any stoopid idea that my 7 5/8" (61cm) hat size might contain enough necktop-processing power as to manage phpbb permissions.

Ya need a computer to manage setting up phpbb permissions. I'm stuck with no access to any of my forums.

With no idea how to revert to default setting, my board is going absolutely nowhere

Do I reinstall all 160 hours of last week's hard work from the beginning again.... or give up forum marketing before I even begin, and revert to scoring clicks on YouTube?

MikeR
naturalremediesforum

Postby naturalremediesforum » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 pm

naturalremediesforum wrote:Do I reinstall all 160 hours of last week's hard work from the beginning again

What sort of defeatist attitude is that, MikeR?

Ya decided phpbb forum marketing was the only way to go....so why be distracted by a minor glitch like this grossly-complicated permissions system.

Start again dude.... it shouldn't take all of another week surely, just 5 days..... why complicate things...just grant access to ALL the punters.... somebody might even bite at your irresistible CPA offer

MikeR
naturalremediesforum

Postby /a3 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:19 am

naturalremediesforum wrote:Ya need a computer to manage setting up phpbb permissions. I'm stuck with no access to any of my forums.

You don't need access to any of the forums to be able to change the phpBB permissions. All you need is access to the Admin CP. I'm assuming you do want to reset all of your forum permissions?

First of all you should go to your forum permissions and select All Forums. Remove all of the permissions for the Groups and Users and start again. Set the permissions for the Guests group to Read Only. Set the permissions for the Registered Users group to Limited or something that suits your board. Anyone that's a part of the Registered Users group (including you) will be able to read and write to all forums.

With regards to the allow, no, deny permissions: Basically allow means yes. No means no permissions are set. Deny blocks everything.

For example, if you wanted to create an Admin forum, you would set it to No Access (which is all No permissions) for Registered Users, and Full Access for the Administrator group (mostly Yes permissions).

If you had set the Registered Users to all Deny then it would have blocked you because even though you have Full Access permissions from the Administrator group, you have all Deny permissions which always overrides everything.

Deny permissions are useful if you want to block an individual user from doing something.

Usually users are set to No for everything as they "inherit" all of their permissions from their groups.

Does that make a little bit of sense? :)
/a3

Postby Pony99CA » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 am

naturalremediesforum wrote:Ya need a computer to manage setting up phpbb permissions. I'm stuck with no access to any of my forums.

Well of course you need a computer to manage permissions. phpBB runs on a computer. :D

Seriously, one problem with permissions is that they are sorted by their internal names, not by their real functions. So the permission to create a new topic is not next to the permission to reply to a topic.

The other problem is understanding what settings override the other ones. See below.

/a3 wrote:With regards to the allow, no, deny permissions: Basically allow means yes. No means no permissions are set. Deny blocks everything.

Are you using a different language pack? Permissions in the default British English are set to Yes, No or Never. A better way to envision permissions in my opinion is that a Yes permission in one group overrides a No in any other group and a Never permission in one group overrides a Yes in any other group. So Never > Yes > No.

I know that's what you're saying, but I found this way of looking at permissions easy to understand and fairly concise.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Pony99CA

Postby /a3 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 am

Pony99CA wrote:Are you using a different language pack?

No, sorry, that was a small mistake. :)
Pony99CA wrote:A better way to envision permissions in my opinion is that a Yes permission in one group overrides a No in any other group and a Never permission in one group overrides a Yes in any other group. So Never > Yes > No.

That's probably a far better way of describing it. ;)
/a3

Postby stevemaury » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

We get requests all the time to make the permissions even more granular and more powerful. My favorite is a permission to post but not read.

Can't have it both ways - power and granularity are not necessarily simple. But it can be made simple - just use the Roles.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby marian0810 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:13 am

naturalremediesforum wrote:What sort of defeatist attitude is that, MikeR?

Also please keep in mind next time that we have a six hour bump rule.
marian0810
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Name: Marian

Return to phpBB Discussion