Discuss: phpBB 3.1 discontinues support for PHP < 5.2

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
zenpher

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1 discontinues support for PHP < 5.2

Post by zenpher »

I was doing work for a client last night, and I had some problems running WP on Godaddy due to PHP4.

Turns out they set the .php extension to run PHP4 by default and .php5 to run PHP5. You can change this though and make regular .php files run PHP5.

You just need to go to Settings -> File Extension and change .php to from "PHP 4.x" to "PHP 5.x":

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6775/ohmanb.png

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5158/whygodwhy.png

Works like a charm :)
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

zenpher wrote:I was doing work for a client last night, and I had some problems running WP on Godaddy due to PHP4.

Turns out they set the .php extension to run PHP4 by default and .php5 to run PHP5. You can change this though and make regular .php files run PHP5.

You just need to go to Settings -> File Extension and change .php to from "PHP 4.x" to "PHP 5.x":

That's a bit... weird :/

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Tbrian
Name: Brian van den Berg

Post by Tbrian »

This is good. This will make phpBB dev better without the limitations of PHP 4.x.x
Be Patient. Go to bed.
zenpher

Post by zenpher »

Callum95 wrote:
zenpher wrote:I was doing work for a client last night, and I had some problems running WP on Godaddy due to PHP4.

That's a bit... weird :/

~Callum
Yea I'm not sure why they do that. They should just run PHP5 by default, and then give you the option to change to PHP4 if you ever need it.

I wonder who comes up with a policy like this.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Callum95 wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:At this point, if your host hasn't bugged you to update to PHP5 (at least once mentioned it somewhere), it's time to start shopping around for something better.

All the hosts on the Hosting page here, for example, are checked to make sure that they use the latest versions of software. This does not guarantee perfection, of course, but it at least demonstrates a basic competency.
Do the hosts on that page all use 5.3?

~Callum
When I said "latest", I really meant "recent and supported". I wouldn't expect everyone to update major versions immediately, but security releases definitely should be applied in a timely manner and unsupported versions are a no-no.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Thanks for clarifying :)

~Callum
Hanibal

Post by Hanibal »

Being brand new to the BB community I don't understand what I'm reading here.

I just updated (???) to 3.0.8 so what is 5.2 or higher in reference to?

What is meant by lazy hosts?

I don't have plans to do much with my BB, just want to provide a place where people in my industry can meet, greet, and complain. But I don't want to be in a position where the thing blows up at some point and thousands of posts disappear.

Thanks
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Hanibal wrote:Being brand new to the BB community I don't understand what I'm reading here.

I just updated (???) to 3.0.8 so what is 5.2 or higher in reference to?

What is meant by lazy hosts?

I don't have plans to do much with my BB, just want to provide a place where people in my industry can meet, greet, and complain. But I don't want to be in a position where the thing blows up at some point and thousands of posts disappear.

Thanks
phpBB is written in PHP. The current PHP versions are 5.3.3 and 5.2.14, but some hosting companies don't yet use either, and still use PHP 5.1.x

Nothing will blow up, to check your PHP version just go the ACP 'PHP info' tab

~Callum
OC2PS

Post by OC2PS »

I know I'm going off topic here, but this is as close as I could find to a 3.1 roadmap post.
  • When is 3.1 expected to be released?
  • Have people already started building extensions using hooks?
  • Also, I also saw an area for 4.0....has the roadmap for that been released already? Are big architecture changes being planned?
Thanks!
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

sooskriszta wrote:When is 3.1 expected to be released?
As always there aren't any release dates, so the usual "the day after the day before its released" is the closest thing to a release date we can give. Seeing the amount of tickets still open for 3.1 I personally don't expect it within the next couple of months.
sooskriszta wrote:Have people already started building extensions using hooks?
Yes, even for 3.0.x but thats more abusing the hook system than actual hooks. For 3.1.x I don't think any MOD author started on that as its so far away and we don't know what the core will look like (critical parts like the structure for MODs haven't been decided yet).
sooskriszta wrote:Also, I also saw an area for 4.0....has the roadmap for that been released already? Are big architecture changes being planned?
The closest thing to a roadmap for 4.0.x at this moment is the discussion forum, it will be a complete rewrite which will be build from the ground. Features can't be decided on until its clear what the core will look like. 4.0.x is far, far away (probably years).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Will this be changing as a consequence of this and the fact it states:
This release marks the end of support for PHP 5.2. All users of PHP 5.2 are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.
yet the 3.1 release looks still quite far off?
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Will this be changing as a consequence of this and the fact it states:
This release marks the end of support for PHP 5.2. All users of PHP 5.2 are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.
yet the 3.1 release looks still quite far off?
At this time no.
Chris SmithGitHub
cruisepak

Post by cruisepak »

Agree with all the posts about Red Hat / CentOS 5.3 Linux...arguably the most popular enterprise version of Linux. Although PHP is updated often by Red Hat, the versioning remains the same so as to ensure backwards compatibility. i.e. the current version of php is 5.1. However, the code base is actually 5.3, etc.

As long as you don't put a mandatory version check in the software, things will be fine. Otherwise, you are going to have a whole lot of frustrated users out there....which won't bode well for reputation nor will it bode well for eventual monetization of the open source product.

PFS.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

cruisepak wrote:As long as you don't put a mandatory version check in the software
I can't speak for the developers, but the whole point of discontinuing support for older versions of PHP means you MUST be running PHP 5.2.x or higher, which means a mandatory check needs to be put in place. ;)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

cruisepak wrote:Agree with all the posts about Red Hat / CentOS 5.3 Linux...arguably the most popular enterprise version of Linux. Although PHP is updated often by Red Hat, the versioning remains the same so as to ensure backwards compatibility. i.e. the current version of php is 5.1. However, the code base is actually 5.3, etc.
I hope you arent serious? It has a reason major version numbers exists, so they can be checked.
As long as you don't put a mandatory version check in the software, things will be fine. Otherwise, you are going to have a whole lot of frustrated users out there....
It is not our fault really, else we would still be using php1, if we cant really on version numbers ;).
which won't bode well for reputation nor will it bode well for eventual monetization of the open source product.

PFS.
phpBB is free, and always will be free.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “phpBB Discussion”