I LOOOOOOVE it...New member post limit

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
wmtipton

I LOOOOOOVE it...New member post limit

Post by wmtipton »

This feature is perfect for keeping out spammers.
I set mine to 1 post, but apparently nothing new members post will be seen on the forum until Ive approved it.
Setting it to one gives me the chance to at least browse over the new members posts (one or more, prior to approval) and if they seem legit then I can approve the one post (or more) and they are ready to go without having to post 50 times before changing to a registered member.

Not sure when this feature came about...maybe its been there the whole time, but kudos to the dev team for this one...it is the perfect remedy for keeping out spammers, in my opinion.

:GIANTTHUMBSUPSMILEYHERE:
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: I LOOOOOOVE it...New member post limit

Post by Marshalrusty »

This is a new one (added in 3.0.6) based on our personal experiences on this site.

We love the feature as well :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Marshalrusty wrote:This is a new one (added in 3.0.6) based on our personal experiences on this site.

We love the feature as well :)
Definitely a good reason to keep the software updated ;)
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

I've got a couple of questions about this, though.

First, suppose that some admin sets the New member post limit to 1 (so users stay in the Newly Registered group for one post and, by default, that post is moderated). I assume that if a user posts two (or 50) posts, they'll both (all) be moderated because the user's post count won't be bumped until one of the posts is approved, right? Otherwise that would be a big loophole. :D

Second, assuming the above is correct, when the first post gets approved, will the others automatically appear, or will they still have to be approved?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Pony99CA wrote:First, suppose that some admin sets the New member post limit to 1 (so users stay in the Newly Registered group for one post and, by default, that post is moderated). I assume that if a user posts two (or 50) posts, they'll both (all) be moderated because the user's post count won't be bumped until one of the posts is approved, right? Otherwise that would be a big loophole. :D
Yes, they all go on the queue.
Pony99CA wrote:Second, assuming the above is correct, when the first post gets approved, will the others automatically appear, or will they still have to be approved?
No, they will all need to be approved since they were made before the user was removed from the group.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

No posts will make it through until one is approved. All posts submitted before the first is approved have to be approved as well, but you can simply check them and approve them all together.
Big flaw is that a new user on a default install has no way to contact an Admin if they have problems before leaving the Group. You can't post, email or PM an Admin unless they decide to allow it when they set up the board. Every board should have a Contact Admin option by default for new users who need help trying to register or post before approval. I helped a guy set up his new board and registered as soon as it was finished. He sent me several PMs asking questions I couldn't answer because there is no reply button by default for PMs, and the posts I made to get his attention are still sitting in queue because he doesn't seem to know he can or must approve them. Big oversight there in my opinion, other than that I love it. .
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Marshalrusty wrote:No, they will all need to be approved since they were made before the user was removed from the group.
That was the aspect that makes it perfect for spam prevention, IMO.
Spammers rarely make it past the first thread/post so its usually easy enough to tell from the first post or two.
Setting it to 1 post keeps it from being a hassle for legitimate customers. Ive been on some forums where you'd have to have 100 posts to get to the registered member status and honestly I just stopped going back to those ones. Too much of an annoyance.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

100? Seriously?

10 I think is outrageous, personally. 5 is pushing it...most of the time however, a spammer can be recognized by their third post (I've noticed a pattern), so anymore that's what I set it to.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Desdenova wrote:100? Seriously?
Well, not for me. After a dozen posts or so I just moved on to another forum. Not worth the effort.
Heck, one forum NEVER allowed anyones posts to go thru without approval. They werent using pbpBB, btw. But the forum was practically a ghost town. I signed up and posted once. It took about 3 weeks before i got the email saying my post was approved. Yawn.
10 I think is outrageous, personally. 5 is pushing it...most of the time however, a spammer can be recognized by their third post (I've noticed a pattern), so anymore that's what I set it to.
Yeah, I think 1-3 is perfect. But usually, on my sites anyway, the spammers typically spam with post 1 so theres no having to guess what theyre up to. I think its spambots mostly, who dont know any better than to spam from the start.
Thats where the combination of features really comes in handy. :)
If a poster turns into a spammer after getting in, all we have to do is delete the member and all of his posts in the admin panel.
I was using an htaccess file to block IPs, but it was getting enormous and really affecting performance of my sites.
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:Every board should have a Contact Admin option by default for new users who need help trying to register or post before approval.
Absolutely 100% true. :D And such contact information is missing from quite a few boards I frequent. :(
Desdenova wrote:10 I think is outrageous, personally. 5 is pushing it...most of the time however, a spammer can be recognized by their third post (I've noticed a pattern), so anymore that's what I set it to.
I agree. I think 1 or 2 is usually sufficient. I know that having my posts moderated on a new board frustrates me to no end, especially if I don't know its coming. how long it is going to last, or how long the wait will be for post approval. At my big board, we require the approval of new posts (just the first one), but new users see a "splash screen" when they make their first post that explains the post queue, why we require post approval, how many posts, etc. That has dramatically improved our new members' perception of our anti-spam measures.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Kim_Possible wrote: I know that having my posts moderated on a new board frustrates me to no end, especially if I don't know its coming. how long it is going to last, or how long the wait will be for post approval. At my big board, we require the approval of new posts (just the first one), but new users see a "splash screen" when they make their first post that explains the post queue, why we require post approval, how many posts, etc. That has dramatically improved our new members' perception of our anti-spam measures.
Ive added a bit on our forum rules and info for just this sort of thing...
Spam Prevention
In order to slow down spammers, new members first post has to be approved by moderation. Once your first post as been approved it and any others you have made will post immediately, as will future posts.
This gives us the chance to browse over a newly registered members post content to see if they just signed up to spam the forum.
We check here pretty much daily, so go ahead and sign up and post and as soon as we see that its not spam your posts will be approved.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

actually, what file is this text in ?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
Id like to change it a bit.
:)
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

root/language/your_language/posting.php

The first sentence is defined around line 174. The second around line 160.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Kim_Possible wrote:root/language/your_language/posting.php

The first sentence is defined around line 174. The second around line 160.
xrickd

Post by xrickd »

I just upgraded my board to 3.06.
Post limit is a really good thing, however in my case 1 post is enough to verify user (foreign language).
Just a quick question...

Is it possible to disable moderation? I mean moderation and approval of the first post / number of posts...

My idea is to block some forum features for newly registered users but when user has let's say 5 posts he will automatically reach "registered user" status.

Apologize if this question is stupid or have been already answered somewhere... I am just really tired...

Thank you for your support...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”