Any other vBulletin refugees here?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
woodp

Any other vBulletin refugees here?

Post by woodp »

A couple of my websites having been running vB since version 2.x - whenever that was. In each case, the "owned" license was $30/yr and each of the clients was OK with that little amount. As time went by, vB evolved to version 3.x and added more functionality - Functionality (albums, social networking, etc.) that others may have wanted but my clients all asked me to turn off.

A month or so ago vB4 rolled out with a new (huge) price tag - Sure, we could continue to use our vB3 license, but without the promise of updates and patches - So far, two of my clients have moved to phpbb. The import was easy except for user defined fields, but I finally got everything ported, up and running.

There was a "permissions" learning curve, but no complaints now.

I'm just curious - The unwanted functionality and especially the huge price increase drove my clients away. I'm curious if there has been a recent influx in vBulletin refugees like me?
Zaid

Re: Any other vBulletin refugees here?

Post by Zaid »

woodp wrote:A couple of my websites having been running vB since version 2.x - whenever that was. In each case, the "owned" license was $30/yr and each of the clients was OK with that little amount. As time went by, vB evolved to version 3.x and added more functionality - Functionality (albums, social networking, etc.) that others may have wanted but my clients all asked me to turn off.

A month or so ago vB4 rolled out with a new (huge) price tag - Sure, we could continue to use our vB3 license, but without the promise of updates and patches - So far, two of my clients have moved to phpbb. The import was easy except for user defined fields, but I finally got everything ported, up and running.

There was a "permissions" learning curve, but no complaints now.

I'm just curious - The unwanted functionality and especially the huge price increase drove my clients away. I'm curious if there has been a recent influx in vBulletin refugees like me?
I am trying to leave phpbb....Support is rude and too much work to get the bugs sorted here and there.. Unlike VBB we have to install mods and cant just use some kind of plugin installer...yes there is auto mod but that is no good and makes the board more of a mess......

I can only imagine that a Vbullitin user can port to phpbb3 for 1 reason, which is , VbB is "Overpriced"

good luck with Phpbb... because I am totally fed up with it...even an update is an headache..Too many code edits and people dont have time for all that crap..

Rather you'd have gone for mybb its ugly but at least its got plugin installer..

they are all forum software, difference is some save time and some waste time..
just my 2 cents
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

Zaid wrote:....Support is rude...
I don't mind about the other things you mention, but this one... support is rude?
Most people will agree that support is great here... And if you consider the fact that it is absolutely free, it is even greater...
I've been seeking for support in support forums of other free projects and most of the time you will get an answer a week later - if you get any..
At most cases support in here is good and fast, not only from team members, but also from other users..
I can't argue that this is your own opinion and you can express it freely, but this particular complaint makes no sense to me... :?
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Don't mind him...he's a bit upset that all of his support topics are being locked because he has warez on his forum. Just look at his post history ;)

As far as vB refugees...the price hike has certainly caused some of the vB users to flee for a cost-saving alternative in these tough economic times so there have been quite a few that have defected to phpBB.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I do agree that automod is way from being bug free.

however, I just don't see the complaints about installing MODs being so difficult and time consuming.

If all you want is a pay and forget it type system, then pay whatever it costs to get what you want.
Don't come here and complain because you might have to take a few minutes to read some instructions and then take another few minutes to copy and paste some code from one place to another.

I pride my self on being able to teach and show newbies how to do stuff. So I always try to look at things from a newbie's point of view.

Even with that perspective, installing a MOD is very, very simple and painless.

I have said before, if you have the ability to post a message here on the board, then you certainly have all the abilities needed to install a MOD.

As for the the requirements to install phpbb, well, there again, if you want to use these types of programs you have to learn the basics of how to setup a simple webpage/site on your server.

Folks, this just aint' rocket science here.
I am a 58 year old retired constructions worker. If I can figure this out anybody can.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

I think support is rude and a most of them are a bunch of jerks trying to be the nice guys... why? its because more or less.. its just impractical.... if phpbb is a free software and users deem to use it for whatever private purpose(and many are).. And I do understand there might be certain rules and limitations to it.

BUT Warez or No Warez... what I pointed out could have been a bug that needed fixing... but THE Support team doesnt look at the bigger picture...

if supporting piracy and stuff like that and the thought of getting in trouble if some one posts a forum link that you might think is illegal. Then my forum doesnt support it anymore..there you go....well then what else is there to say...

Bottom line is Phpbb going to tell us how to run our forum and what we can do with it... ?

Enough about my rant and bragging about my problems...lets look...

* Yes Phpbb is easy to understand, so is Vbullitin..
* Phpbb lacks the plugin system Vbullitin has and installing mods by hand WASTE'S your time..
* What ever Phpbb can do, VBullitin can do better or least the same if not better.

the list can go on... Now trust me I have been with phpbb for over 3 years, installed hundreds of mods.. I have tried to support it and been loyal, and theirs a lot of folks who have been using it for over a decade and can cope with their bull$*** no me. But this place just keeps getting bad to worst..

Anyway, my outcome is I am done with phpbb.. I'll probably seek support somewhere else since I dont have time to argue with some half decent mods and rules that go into your private usage..

You get what you pay for... for free i get phpbb which comes with a team of 50+ years old grown up men, installing mods and codes all day, not even sure of the finance living under their parents basement..

I'd rather pay for the support and get it from someone who doesnt give a damn what I am using my board for..

As for your question...
Yea, maybe many..I'll look at SMF or MyBB or if Paid service then VBB...But I'll let you know if I ever come back to phpbb. . which I hope I dont. Besides Why would I....unlike the developers..its not like I am running out of $$$$ anytime soon :lol:

If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen, exactly... My mistake..I am the guy who's supposed to be sitting outside the kitchen waiting for my food to be ready while the chef's done preparing it.. If you can cope with their bull$****** then use phpbb... If you cant...get out.. like me :mrgreen:

Bye bye everyone
woodp

Post by woodp »

Zaid wrote:Yea, maybe many..I'll look at SMF ...
Twice I've looked at SMF, primarily because of its easy integration to Joomla, but then walked away.

The problem had nothing to do with the software or ease of use - The issue is the swarm (?) of forum followers who really don't know what they're talking about but offer advice anyway. Each time I posted a question, I'd get a "I think if you do ... such-and-such ..." response that didn't even remotely answer the question. Meanwhile, the forum indicated my question was answered! Argh!

A couple of these guys had enormous numbers of posts and it seems their objective was not to provide real assistance, but to drive their post count.

Unfortunate that these guys are actually driving customers away ...
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Zaid wrote: if supporting piracy and stuff like that and the thought of getting in trouble if some one posts a forum link that you might think is illegal. Then my forum doesnt support it anymore..there you go....well then what else is there to say...
Please PM me an temp admin account so I can check this, and if true we will unlock your topics.
Zaid wrote: Bottom line is Phpbb going to tell us how to run our forum and what we can do with it... ?
Nope, bottom line is we are telling you what types of boards we choose to support for free on our own time.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Lumpy Burgertushie

bye bye!!

robert,
( one of the 50+ old men around here that gives a lot of his free time to help you and all the others.)

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Zaid wrote:Bottom line is Phpbb going to tell us how to run our forum and what we can do with it... ?
I'm sure phpBB doesn't wish to directly or indirectly participate in illegal activity, including supporting illegal sites. I have my doubts that vBulletin would support warez sites either.

As for the manually installing MODs, AutoMOD has been in development for quite some time.
Zaid wrote:* What ever Phpbb can do, VBullitin can do better or least the same if not better.
Most people say it the other way around. ;)

onehundredandtwo.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
Devilant

Post by Devilant »

Zaid wrote:What ever Phpbb can do, VBullitin can do better or least the same if not better.
Do not forget: One is free the other one isn't.

I never bothered paying to use VB and i never will. Why? Because i can get something way better for free.

Thanks
Never Say Never
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

No one can disagree that a one-click-install plugin is really easier that having to do things manually like (I prefer it) here in phpbb. But let me share an experience I had while testing SMF some time ago..
I installed a few plugins because I needed some extra functionality. One was not working as expected so I uninstalled it. After uninstalling, I started to get a nasty error on the footer of the board. And I really had no clue about how to deal with it, because I could not find what actually had been done from the installer.. :?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blame SMF (which I thing is great).. I am just saying that if you have the option to do something manually then you have much better control over it.
The automatic installer won't let you know that you will end up with a nasty conflict and when you find out it is always too late...

Zaid, about your complain that people here won't offer support in your case: It is just a rule... They have nothing personal against you... If you establish a rule for your own forum, would you make exceptions occasionally?
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

Zaid wrote:BUT Warez or No Warez... what I pointed out could have been a bug that needed fixing... but THE Support team doesnt look at the bigger picture...

if supporting piracy and stuff like that and the thought of getting in trouble if some one posts a forum link that you might think is illegal. Then my forum doesnt support it anymore..there you go....well then what else is there to say...

Bottom line is Phpbb going to tell us how to run our forum and what we can do with it... ?
Many companies have policies in their support terms that state if the person giving support comes across anything illegal, they are obligated by their company to report it to the law enforcement at the person's locale (I noticed this with Dell's Terms of Service the last time I contacted them for support). phpBB needs to protect it's legal interests just like any other entity out there, as such we wont support sites that encourage illegal activity. Just be glad we don't report to the appropriate governing body, unlike many other software distributors that offer official support for their product.
sav

Post by sav »

Is somewhere out of there some sort of 'comparison table' - at least for phpBB and vB?
Lumpy Burgertushie

sav wrote:Is somewhere out of there some sort of 'comparison table' - at least for phpBB and vB?
it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

vb has many, many features , all built in and is quite expensive.

phpbb has many many features built in and many, many more as MODs that you can install

and is absolutely free with free support.

they are both bulletin board scripts.

that is about it.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”