phpBB vs. vBulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
AmigoJack

Re: phpBB vs. vBulletin

Post by AmigoJack »

Dog Cow wrote:due to all the UTF-8 files. Ever looked at those code tables? They're huge.
Those are essential since PHP itself doesn't provide any UTF normalization and I'm more than impressed by how well they work. Imagine a board where text is stored the way it was entered and then you're unable to find it again, since there are multiple possibilities to represent that in UTF-8. Not to speak of the DBMS which would not accept invalid UTF-8 sequences. That's the price for truly supporting everything beyond the ASCII horizon.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

AmigoJack wrote:Those are essential since PHP itself doesn't provide any UTF normalization and I'm more than impressed by how well they work.
What about the mbstring extension?
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

DionDesigns wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:Those are essential since PHP itself doesn't provide any UTF normalization and I'm more than impressed by how well they work.
What about the mbstring extension?
A valuable solution, but not everyone has that extension installed.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

DionDesigns wrote:What about the mbstring extension?
I'm not aware of any function that can normalize.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

The intl extension (which most PHP distributions do not ship with by default) has a Normalizer class. With phpBB 3.1 it will use the native one when available. Anyways, this is way OT.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
laceyhearts

Post by laceyhearts »

As a former vBulletin user I don't recommend it I think PHPBB is great and has all the features I need, thisis just my opinion.
alexandria777
I've Been Banned!

Post by alexandria777 »

I'm satisfied with my forum on phpBB due to many reasons. Compared with vBulletin, phpBB is completely free. And this fact played an important role when I had to choose: vBulletin or phpBB. And you know what? I'm really glad that I chose phpBB to develop my forum on.
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:haven't checked, but do you get anything with that very expensive xenforo that you do NOT get with or can not add to phpbb in about 5 minutes?
I think so. XenForo have a least one feature and that's about deleting a post or undeleting a post, which I think is impossible to do such a thing in phpBB IIRC.

Why not you try a XenForo demo (good for 2-3 days) for yourself. ;)

I'm testing the XenForo demo right now and so far I like it.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you can certainly delete posts with phpbb and with a MOD you can undelete them as well.

like I said, just about 5 minutes and you can install that MOD.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:haven't checked, but do you get anything with that very expensive xenforo that you do NOT get with or can not add to phpbb in about 5 minutes?
Spam cleaner: below each post there is "spam" button (admins and moderators only). Click it to delete all posts from that user and ban him. Very convenient way to get rid of spam.

WYSIWYG editor that works and is very easy to use.

Plugin system that is years ahead of anything, including phpBB 3.1 system. Other plugin systems are based on hooks that allow to insert code only to few specific places. XenForo has fully OOP code, its plugin system is based on allowing to extend any class. You can chain extend same class from several add-ons that don't know about each other without causing conflicts. Modifications to templates are done several ways: with hooks (deprecated), template modifications (string or regexp replacements in templates with optional callback), events that let add-on author change HTML output. Add-ons can do almost anything and writing add-ons is very easy.

You can see more stuff here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
Some of those tutorials have screencasts
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Arty wrote:
Spam cleaner: below each post there is "spam" button (admins and moderators only). Click it to delete all posts from that user and ban him. Very convenient way to get rid of spam.
Not only that you can also create new topic prefixes with a colored icon image at your choice less than a minute in the ACP.

There is also another feature that I really like is that you can change the colors for a style or create a new style in ACP too without a mod and you have sort of a reputation system built-in, which allow you to customized the way you wanted them. All this can be changed in ACP without having mods to do it. ;)
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”