Discuss: Introducing JIRA – the new bug tracker

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Discuss: Introducing JIRA – the new bug tracker

Post by ToonArmy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi,

phpBB is now using JIRA instead of our own custom bug tracker. Read the blog post and please discuss.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

onehundredandtwo

Re: Discuss: Introducing JIRA – the new bug tracker

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am

Sounds like a much better idea, although Jira seems a bit slow and AJAX-heavy.

I've read the blog post, but will all of the existing bugs be moved to the new bug tracker? I saw quite a few in there, but I couldn't find any of the website issues.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 am

The phpBB 3.0 and 3.1 trackers have been imported into JIRA. It seems this has not happened with any of the other trackers (yet), as they are still on the on tracker system. Here's a list of all projects in the new JIRA tracker.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:58 am

onehundredandtwo wrote:Sounds like a much better idea, although Jira seems a bit slow and AJAX-heavy.

I've read the blog post, but will all of the existing bugs be moved to the new bug tracker? I saw quite a few in there, but I couldn't find any of the website issues.
All the other trackers are staying where they are.
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 am

OK, thanks for the info. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Black Antitoon

Post by Black Antitoon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 am

I will miss the old tracker... :cry:
Do you recognise my avatar? :)

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Black Antitoon wrote:I will miss the old tracker... :cry:
It's still around, I think.

Anyway, I think it was a good move by the phpBB team to switch to a tracker not made by them because, as the announcement said, it is better to not have to develop both phpBB and the other tools, but rather simply develop phpBB. That way more time and energy can be spend on phpBB itself. :)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Black Antitoon wrote:I will miss the old tracker... :cry:
The old tracker will continue to be used for all other phpBB-related projects for the foreseeable future.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Find it a sick move!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 am

Nice move guys. :D
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am

Performance leaves much to be desired.

The fastest loading resource I found so far is the favicon, at 0.25 seconds. (!)

Stylesheets take between 0.35 and 0.65 seconds to load.

Actual scripts take about 1 second each.

For reasons I cannot fathom right now some pages (such as project page) load parts of themselves via ajax. This means it takes 5 seconds for such pages to load completely even with hot cache.

With cold cache I saw pages taking 8+ seconds to load completely.

What is really annoying is that even navigating back/forward takes over a second each time. I suspect it's due to this:

Code: Select all

Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
Pragma: no-cache

no-cache and no-store have got to go. First, such things are hardly required in a bug tracking system; the only place where they might be acceptable is in security-sensitive tickets, and currently those are not in jira anyway. Second, even if they could be useful somewhere making all users suffer for them, given current response times, is not right.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Tell that atlassian - these are the shortcomings if using a third-party product or library. ;) There is an update in the pipeline now, revamping some UI components. Also, i suspect the most slowdown at the moment is due to the fact we use an external database with a latency of 8-15ms (this sounds low but imagine a lot of queries per page, also complex queries, this sums up to 1-2 seconds on each page) - atm i am thinking of switching to a local postgresql instance. Additionally, page generation times under IE8 are twice as fast as under Firefox - this seems to be due to the different rendering in both browsers [or IE still does not honor no-store)).

So, at the moment the only thing i can say is "you will never get the speed of a php script, but improving performance is a process which is done on our side and is undertaken by jira". You wouldn't imagine how slow it was the first time i evaluated JIRA. :)

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Acyd Burn wrote:You wouldn't imagine how slow it was the first time i evaluated JIRA. :)
On the contrary, I definitely could as JIRA was evaluated against several other apps by me and my staff two years ago. The phrase "POS" is a massive understatement when it comes to the feedback collected by the project team. I found it mind boggling that this was "the best solution" you could come up with. The old tracker was far superior to the new one in terms of performance, usability and plain old useful functionality. It would have made sense had you migrated to Redmine's Issue tracker to maintain consistency with the project management side and maintain the ability to link tracker tickets to repository revisions. Now all of that is lost.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:01 am

narqelion wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote:You wouldn't imagine how slow it was the first time i evaluated JIRA. :)
On the contrary, I definitely could as JIRA was evaluated against several other apps by me and my staff two years ago. The phrase "POS" is a massive understatement when it comes to the feedback collected by the project team. I found it mind boggling that this was "the best solution" you could come up with. The old tracker was far superior to the new one in terms of performance, usability and plain old useful functionality. It would have made sense had you migrated to Redmine's Issue tracker to maintain consistency with the project management side and maintain the ability to link tracker tickets to repository revisions. Now all of that is lost.
+1, well, +.8. The only thing I don't agree with is that Meik thinking of JIRA as the best solution, but rather the best solution given the alternatives available at the time. The reason I say that is this "evaluating the options we had available." Meik agrees that JIRA has issues in a previous post. That all said, I'm not a fan of JIRA, or Java in general. To paraphrase a coworker: how on earth can Java be ready for the enterprise? I find myself agreeing with that sentiment, and since I've seen quite a few server-side Java-driven applications at my job, there are better alternatives out there.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 am

Acyd Burn wrote:Tell that atlassian - these are the shortcomings if using a third-party product or library. ;)
Did you mean those were the shortcomings of using a proprietary product or library?
You wouldn't imagine how slow it was the first time i evaluated JIRA. :)
This does not actually sound good.

On another note, what's wrong with the following picture?
http://tracker.phpbb.com/images/icons/bug.gif

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:31:40 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Etag: W/"369-1266125880000"
Content-Length: 369
Cache-Control: max-age=3600
Expires: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:31:40 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Last-Modified: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:38:00 GMT
Connection: close
Content-Type: image/gif;charset=UTF-8
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”