Discuss: Introducing JIRA – the new bug tracker

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Oleg
Former Team Member

Re: Discuss: Introducing JIRA – the new bug tracker

Post by Oleg »

The proxy is a bit more involved than apache config, but if you find it useful I'm glad to help.

Let's try a Github mirror
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

What about last incident, when Apache.Org server was hacked due XSS vulnerability of JIRA? Did you protected yourself against it?
Change of bugtracker does not affects me personally(SVN->GIT migration were upper bound of disappointment for me), but I still can remember accident with PHPList, and do not want history to repeat.

And the second.
Are you PHP-developers or not? You have developed a great PHP-based web-application engine - PHPBB. I cannot believe you cannot write your own bugtracker which meets all your requirements.
Everybody can do the same things, but nobody can do it identically.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

FeyFre wrote:Are you PHP-developers or not? You have developed a great PHP-based web-application engine - PHPBB. I cannot believe you cannot write your own bugtracker which meets all your requirements.
Of course the phpBB team is perfectly capable of writing such an application. The problem is the lack of time and manpower. Every second spent on developing -- and maintaining -- additional software is a second not spent on phpBB development. Of course, they could invent some great wheels, but the goal is not to invent wheels. It's to build forum software.

While this may be slightly off-topic, mind sharing what you lose due to the switch to git?
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

FeyFre wrote:but I still can remember accident with PHPList, and do not want history to repeat.
It wouldn't. It's on a separate server.
FeyFre wrote:Are you PHP-developers or not? You have developed a great PHP-based web-application engine - PHPBB. I cannot believe you cannot write your own bugtracker which meets all your requirements.
That makes little sense. So let's say you are a PHP developer and would like to use a forum to discuss things about a PHP application you and a team are creating. Would you create your own forum and spend many many hours doing that or just use something that's readily available? The latter would make more sense. Same thing with us. We'd rather use the Development Team's manpower to make phpBB better not have them create more software to have to implement, test, maintain, debug, etc.

FYI the current bug tracker, which was created in-house and is still used for other projects we have, took quite some time to implement and takes additional time to maintain.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

eviL<3 wrote:Of course the phpBB team is perfectly capable of writing such an application. The problem is the lack of time and manpower. Every second spent on developing -- and maintaining -- additional software is a second not spent on phpBB development. Of course, they could invent some great wheels, but the goal is not to invent wheels. It's to build forum software.
"Reinventing wheels" is core work of programmers ;) . But I prefer to call it by its real name - Creative work.
While this may be slightly off-topic, mind sharing what you lose due to the switch to git?
I'll PM it to you if you don't mind.
DavidIQ wrote:It wouldn't. It's on a separate server.
But minimal required password length for this community forum was increased too.
DavidIQ wrote:That makes little sense. So let's say you are a PHP developer and would like to use a forum to discuss things about a PHP application you and a team are creating. Would you create your own forum and spend many many hours doing that or just use something that's readily available?
There are lot of condition to do right choice.
1. Availability of necessary features in existing solutions.
2. Ability and cost of integration of existing solutions to other web-apps.
3. Forum extending capabilities.
Etc.
Sometimes it is easier to write own solution and be sure it does what I want and how I want than to explore third-party ones.
As for me, I do not know anything about JIRA, except it is written on Java. I worried only because of two reasons:
1. Security. (Mention by me incident on Apache.Org)
2. Ability to integrate with existing PHPBB community.(Is there exists any PHPBB-TO-JIRA bridge? Most of community participants will not register another account specially for bugtracker, and so will not post bugs.)
I understand PHPBB decision-makers evaluated all the advantages and disadvantages of choice, but I think its better to force them extra hesitation than to correct consequences.(Hope google translated this sentence correctly)
Everybody can do the same things, but nobody can do it identically.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

FeyFre wrote:
eviL<3 wrote:Of course the phpBB team is perfectly capable of writing such an application. The problem is the lack of time and manpower. Every second spent on developing -- and maintaining -- additional software is a second not spent on phpBB development. Of course, they could invent some great wheels, but the goal is not to invent wheels. It's to build forum software.
"Reinventing wheels" is core work of programmers ;) . But I prefer to call it by its real name - Creative work.
Probably, but than still the devs here that only can spend very limited time on phpBB shouldn't be bother with developing a JIRA like system. They can use there spare time better (remember everything we do for phpBB is in our spare time)
FeyFre wrote:2. Ability to integrate with existing PHPBB community.(Is there exists any PHPBB-TO-JIRA bridge? Most of community participants will not register another account specially for bugtracker, and so will not post bugs.)
As you might have noticed the tracker accepts your phpBB credentials ;). By my understanding uses it this auth plugin that Nils/Meik wrote.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

How about varnish?

Config file: http://gist.github.com/368082

Link: http://varnish.etal.bsdpower.com/

Unlike jira proxy, varnish does not rewrite host in response bodies, so links and ajax requests go off to tracker.phpbb.com (and ajax requests fail due to cross-domain rules).
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller »

As a lot of the other posters I am against this.
Im sure its a good choice for the developers, but its a bad choice for the users.
People tend to stop using tools that are too annoying, I see JIRA – the new bug tracker as extremely annoying.
Its a pain, nothing less.
I am done with phpBB
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Me too I am against that new stuff. Quite annoying I can say, sorry.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Oddly enough, a few days ago Highway of Life and I were discussing this predicament, with the possibility of an alternative should JIRA prove to be unsuccessful. It seems that the bug tracker Assembla has made might be suitable for what is needed, and it also has a very simple interface for users.

Had this been considered?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Any remote-hosted solution was ruled out from the start, so no, Assembla was not considered.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Any remote-hosted solution was ruled out from the start, so no, Assembla was not considered.
Any particular reason? You chose a remote-hosted solution for development in github. Seems a bit incongruous to say remote-hosting is good enough for one project tool but not another. :? I still believe if you absolutely had to change trackers the lesser of all evils would have been Redmine.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

narqelion wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Any remote-hosted solution was ruled out from the start, so no, Assembla was not considered.
Any particular reason? You chose a remote-hosted solution for development in github.
There's no data stuck in GitHub ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

It is not a matter of data being stuck anywhere (just about any decent hosted application allows scheduled or on demand backup/cloning/dump) the issue is using a remote infrastructure/interface that you have no control over. ;-)

http://twitter.com/github
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

ToonArmy wrote:
narqelion wrote:
Any particular reason? You chose a remote-hosted solution for development in github.
There's no data stuck in GitHub ;)
Your data isn’t “stuck” in Assembla either... :roll:
But sometimes it’s okay to use outside managed servers.

Assembla also has a distributed installation - so that you don’t have to use it on an external server. I’m sure I could have spoken with Andy about phpBB installing it on their own server if phpBB really wanted it.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”