Is phpBB the right application for me ???

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
ChipThome

Is phpBB the right application for me ???

Post by ChipThome » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 am

DISCLAIMER: Complete BB Newb here, please consider when replying. :)

What I want to create is a site that has topics (threads) that are listed in a descending order from newest to oldest. Each thread would have a brief description and a link to the original site where the rest of the information is located. The "threads" will be primarily news and opinion pieces.

So far, phpBB looks like a winner for that.

What I don't want and won't have is any "community" and no other posters or contributors other than myself.

I want the site and all "threads" viewable by anyone and everyone, and with no comments being allowed, I feel I will not alienate anyone by a poster's opinion or view on any specific topic.

The search function of phpBB looks like a winner also.

So the layout and search function of phpBB, is a definite winner and exactly what I want. From what I have briefly read here and elsewhere in the support forums, the real asset and bulk of phpBB is the community you can create.

So am I looking at the right application for my new site, or do you feel another might be better suited, and if so, which one or what kind ???

Thank you,

Chip Thome

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Is phpBB the right application for me ???

Post by tbackoff » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:48 am

You will be hard-pressed to find someone here to recommend something else other than phpBB. ;)

With that said, the best way for you to see if phpBB fits your needs is to install it locally and test.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 am

The very positive tone of your post, Chip, seems to indicate you have found what appeals to you and I sure wouldn't try to steer you away from phpBB. Actaully, I don't see any reason to try and steer you away, but it's what you like that counts, and you seem to like what you've seen so far.

I might recommend, though, that you place a clearly visible banner on your site explaining it is locked and nobody can post, or you may have some frustrated people that never return because they tried to post and couldn't. Or tried to register and couldn't. I don't think too many people have seen a phpBB site that was not for posting.

Ah, maybe you shouldn't use the vocabulary "locked" as that sounds negative. Just something explaining it's just for you to communicate out to the rest of the people on the Net, but not for discussion purposes. Something polite that may get them to return. I assume you want people to return, right?

Will that index page be just one page of a larger site?

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Well, everything you described can easily be achieved through the use of phpBB. It can also be achieved with myBB, SMF, and a variety of other free and commercial software. So really, it's up to you. I think the best way to find out what works for you is to download a few different forum software packages and install each and try them all out. Whichever one you like best is the one you should use.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

ChipThome

Post by ChipThome » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Thank you for your input so far.

phpBB as far as the right application, of the forum apps available, for me is the right choice, should I go the BB route. That is where I am torn.

As was mentioned, creating a mood of "negativity" is high on my list of things to avoid. For that reason, I feel I would have to "gut" any reference to comments, members, posting, community etc from the pages. If there would be no reference to any of that, no one should be offended "that they can't sign up" when they may believe others, for whatever reason, could.

By doing this, removing the "community" as it were, I am wondering if this app, or maybe any BB app for that matter, might be "overkill" now, for what I want to accomplish ??? If you think that maybe it might be "overkill", do you have a suggestion of another route for me to take to create something similar to what I have described ???

Thanks everyone.

Chip Thome

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:56 pm

One other option for you is the blog type software which I feel is perhaps more targetted to do what you are asking for.

Forums are typically for multi authors who are also readers. They are designed for interaction between the posters within the topic of choice.

Blogs are typically witten by one (or a few) author, with a larger readership. They are designed for information to be presented by that single user (or group) either with or without comments being allowed.

So going by what you are asking the software to do, and by what the readers of forum software and blog software normally expect, I would suggest that along with phpBB3 you also check out some of the blogging software.

Yes phpBB3 (and other forum software) will do what you require, but so too does other types of software. Dont limit your choice to just forum software.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 am

I agree with Chris.

a blog is exactly what you are describing. you can turn of comments very easily in most blog software and therefore you would have exactly what you want.

wordpress is probably the best and is free like phpbb with a large support community for it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 am

I agree with the two above me. If you don't want users to be able to post, but want people to be able to comment, a blog sounds like the perfect solution for you. There are plenty out there, so look around and see which is best for you.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:38 am

It seems Chip doesn't want anyone to comment on his site.

Of course, the blog format came to my mind as well, but I had the impression from reading between the lines that Chip wasn't keen on the blog format. I had the impression that he wanted a forum-looking landing page, but for the purpose of using it like a blog. It was that "impression" that had me thinking and eventually adding my two-cents above.

I find the idea of using forum software for the purpose of a blog rather refreshing. Blogs look like what they are -- a blog. If you've seen one blog, you've seen them all, so to speak. Of course, there are all sorts of variations, but when you get right down to it, they all leave the same impression -- another blog.

A forum turned into a blog, on the other hand, seems a bit of a novelty. I can't say as I've ever seen that done, although I imagine it probably has.

As for needing to remove all references to, how did you phrase it?
... I feel I would have to "gut" any reference to comments, members, posting, community etc from the pages.
There are various references to members that could easily be removed, but on the index page of phpBB I do not recall the word "community" being visible.

Let's see, this at the top would go:
User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts / FAQ / Members / Login

And this:
View unanswered posts • View new posts
Maybe, "View new posts" should stay.

And at the bottom: