Noob Question.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
blackdiamond

Noob Question.

Post by blackdiamond » Thu May 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Maybe i dont know how to use google...usually i am good at it...but nothing came out of this search... i have a question. Is it posible to have a phpbb forum in a flash site? i am in the brainstorming phase of a site which i am thinking of making out of flash as3. and i need a forum board. thanks all
I NEEEEED LODS OF HELP!

onehundredandtwo

Re: Noob Question.

Post by onehundredandtwo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Of course it might be possible (and I wouldn't know how to do it), but not all users have Flash. It would probably be better to redesign one of the styles in the Styles Database Releases instead.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Fri May 14, 2010 1:07 am

Flash sites suck (IMHO, of course). Flash should only be used for three things:
  1. Animations
  2. Demos/tutorials
  3. streaming media
Flash sites don't have normal scrolling, don't allow copying text, don't allow searching for text, prevent "deep linking" (because page changes don't update the address bar) and so on. Plus, even though Flash has very good penetration on the PC, it won't render at all on many mobile devices (notably the iPhone).

See the (old) Flash: 99% Bad report from usability guru Jakob Nielsen for more details.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 am

Pony99CA wrote:Flash sites suck (IMHO, of course).

Steve
LOL
Do all steves hate flash? XD

Back on topic:

It would be possible, but pretty difficult, and I wouldn't recommend it.

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

threepxl

Post by threepxl » Sat May 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Pony99CA wrote:Flash sites suck (IMHO, of course). Flash should only be used for three things:
Flash sites don't have normal scrolling
don't allow copying text
don't allow searching for text
prevent "deep linking" (because page changes don't update the address bar) and so on.

Plus, even though Flash has very good penetration on the PC, it won't render at all on many mobile devices (notably the iPhone).
don't allow copying text Really? Since when did this happen?
prevent "deep linking" (because page changes don't update the address bar) When was the last time you went to an all flash website that was done correctly.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk, but don't lie to someone. That's just worse.

Yes it's very possible, but unless you have a strong understanding of AS3/PHP and parsing, I would not recommend it. Another bad thing about Flash or even Flex for that matter, both are very resource heavy. Not every user will be handle the load.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 am

threepxl wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Flash sites suck (IMHO, of course). Flash should only be used for three things:
Flash sites don't have normal scrolling
don't allow copying text
don't allow searching for text
prevent "deep linking" (because page changes don't update the address bar) and so on.

Plus, even though Flash has very good penetration on the PC, it won't render at all on many mobile devices (notably the iPhone).
don't allow copying text Really? Since when did this happen?
I wouldn't know. I know that many of the sites that I go to that seem to be Flash didn't seem to allow it. However, I just went back to two of them (Cafe Ella and Jawbone) and they do seem to allow copying some text. Both sites have also been redesigned since I noticed the original issues, though.

However, Jawbone still has a lot of text that can't be copied, but that may be because they're putting images in there instead of text.
threepxl wrote:prevent "deep linking" (because page changes don't update the address bar) When was the last time you went to an all flash website that was done correctly.
Apparently I hadn't been to any. The Cafe Ella site certainly didn't allow deep linking the first time that I went there. Clicking links updated something internal to the page (like frames) instead of taking you to a different page.

As I said, though, the site has been redesigned (maybe in normal HTML) and does allow deep linking now. But that may still indicate that people designing with Flash often don't do it right, so the point may be partially valid. ;)
threepxl wrote:Sorry if I come off as a jerk, but don't lie to someone. That's just worse.
I wasn't "lying". I may have been mistaken on a couple of points, but that's different than lying. Does accusing people of lying when they weren't make you a jerk? I don't know, but I'd say that false accusations are worse than honest mistakes.
threepxl wrote:Another bad thing about Flash or even Flex for that matter, both are very resource heavy. Not every user will be handle the load.
So, in addition to the three points of mine that you didn't refute, you added another. I guess that my main thesis was correct even if two of my points weren't. :D

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody » Sun May 16, 2010 11:47 pm

I don't like websites coded entirely in flash. I can understand and tolerate when it's used here or there for particular things, but I tend to avoid most websites that whore it out.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Mon May 17, 2010 6:03 am

I'm not trying to be too much like Steve Jobs, but let me point out that Flash websites are also a lot slower than standard HTML-based sites.

There have been a few stages where I have disabled the Flash plugin, but unfortunately there are too many sites that rely on Flash, so I have it enabled now. I'm sure a small number of people would disable the Flash plugin on their computers though.

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 am

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/websites_stop
Reference entry #7.

Flash is typically annoying as hell for most users, so stay away from it (unless you don't care if you scare off fleets of potential members).

blackdiamond

Post by blackdiamond » Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I considered flash in my design for couple of things.

1) I hate margins and how they change one browser to another in HTML based sites. (last time i made one, it was frustrating, but then again i did not know java...)
2) flash and picture tagging, seem to the best way to restrict users from copying pictures and texts that i want to preserve private...

these are the things the considered before adding flash to my design list.You guys pointed out some good points. AS3,PHP , not on my best, so i rather stay away from them if i want to make this happen without any learning time. Thanks.
I NEEEEED LODS OF HELP!

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Tue May 18, 2010 6:08 am

With CSS the margin and padding can be changed or completely reset.

To completely reset all margins and paddings on all elements, use:

Code: Select all

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
If you want to learn CSS, I would highly recommend taking a look at the W3Schools CSS Tutorial. :)

Peetra

Post by Peetra » Tue May 18, 2010 6:21 am

blackdiamond wrote: 2) flash and picture tagging, seem to the best way to restrict users from copying pictures and texts that i want to preserve private...
You can prevent people from using the right mouse button at normal sites, but people usually gets angry from such site behaviour, just a simple word that you want to copy/paste (for search as an example) can't be copied and the user have to type it. The disabling of right clicking doesn't prevent people from vieweing and copying the text from source though.

I would like to remind that even though it is possible to hotlink pics from phpBB3 forums, it shore isn't easy, just getting the default url doesn't do the trick. You can try to hotlink something and you'll see... 8-)
I am so hooked on bubbles, that I made a Bubble Witch Saga WP-site! Most addictive game since Tetris!

Sierron
Name: Artur

Post by Sierron » Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 am

I know some flash sites like http://man-cha.com. It's a english version of a japanese chat flash hp. The japanese version is slow as hell. It's already slow because it's on the other site of the world, but also slower because it use everythere flash... (but i like the feature xD)
Multilanguage TimeSplitters Site

If you need support, I suggest you to use the Support Request Template for your questions on this board. If you have some serious problems, the Support Toolkit can fix it (depends on the problem).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”