[Discuss] Announcing Titania, the Customisation Database

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

[Discuss] Announcing Titania, the Customisation Database

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 am

Discuss the new Customisation Database release announcement posted here.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: [Discuss] Announcing Titania, the Customisation Database

Post by JimA » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:41 am

Documentation for contribution authors

1.1 Submitting a contribution
1.2 Managing a contribution
1.3 Providing support

With this new contribution database for modifications and styles we understand that it might be a little confusing for you all. That's ok, we had to learn to work with it as well, but we're quite satisfied with the result of this new system. To make sure you all learn to work with it as well, but wrote up some quick guiding in order for you to submit and manage your contributions. If you've got any trouble using the system, you're welcome to ask your questions in the MOD Writers Discussion forum.

Submitting a contribution
First, go to the Customisation Database and click the "Create contribution" link at the top of the page. There you'll have to fill out a couple of fields related to your contribution.

Contribution name - Name of the styles/modification you've created

Contribution Permalink - Clean version of the contribution name. It will appear in the URL for your contribution. If you don't fill this field out, it'll be created automaticly based on the name.

Contribution type - Is this a modification or a style?

Contribution description - Give a quick description of what this contribution will change or give value to a phpBB installation. It will be displayed on the contribution overview page. Smilies and BBCode can be used in this description.
create_contrib.png
create_contrib.png (50.74 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
After the description, you're going to have to fill out some other fields. The first place is for the categories your contribution fits in. You can use the CTRL key to select more than one category at once. Keep in mind only to select the categories that are inside of your type of contribution. So do not select categories under the "Modification" heading when you're submitting a style.

The next two fields are optional and don't need to be filled out when there are no co-authors present. If there are, you can fill in their names as well, and the active co-authors will be able to manage the contribution and upload new versions as well, while the past contributors will still be mentioned on the overview page, they won't be able to change anything. The same counts for screenshots. When they are present, you can upload them at the bottom of the page, if they aren't it's no big deal. Keep in mind people like to see what they're downloading before they install it, so it makes your contribution attractive.

Managing a contribution
When you're in the Customisation Database, you can see all the contributions that you made which are currently inside the database by clicking the "My contributions" link. On this page, you have a set of quick tools to manage them. These are:

Image - Edit the contribution settings (name, categories or description) and co-authors.
Image - Add a new revision of this modification to the queue.
Image - Discuss the denial or other things related to the contribution with the teams.

These page are usually very clear and don't need very much explaination. The settings page will allow you to edit the settings that you entered upon submitting the contribution, the revisions page will allow you to upload a new version of the contribution. This will be send to the queue for the appropriate team to validate. Don't forget to increment the version number. When a modification is denied, this will be posted by the validation team at the Discussion page in which you can read what you might have done wrong and if you don't agree you can explain your complaints.

Providing support
In our former modification and styles database, support was given in one individual topic. With this system, we've changed this and split support up into two parts. The FAQ's and the Support area.

FAQs
Go to the overview page of your contribution and click at the "FAQ" tab. There, you'll be able to add a new frequently asked question to the page by clicking the New FAQ button. There you can type the question and answer in the box, and give it an appropriate title. You can choose to have the FAQ to be available to the public, or have it to be limited to just authors, when it's still work in process or it's some instruction to your co-authors. This will display the "author-only" icon in that FAQ's row: Image

Support/Discussion
Go to the overview page of your contribution and click at the "Support/Discussion" tab. There, your users are able to start a new topic for an issue that the meet or something that isn't clear to them. We believe it's easier to have it split up in multiple topics having one topic per issue instead of having only one huge support topic. That makes it easier to handle and see what still needs to be done.

This works the same as the FAQs, you can limit access to the authors only, so you can use a topic to discuss issues brought up by the users with your possible fellow authors, or just have one comment in a public topic to be private, just like a note to yourself. You're also able to add stickies.

Well, we hope that this way, it's a little easier to understand this new database, and as said, you're always welcome to ask any questions you still have in the MOD Writers Discussion forum. :)

More in-depth documentation will follow but this should help you get started with this new system.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 am

Sweet!
May i suggest.. a way for users to point autoMOD to the MOD over here?
Although it would need both autoMOD and the customization database..
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12630565

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 am

That is planned for 3.1 I believe. Not sure that'll be added to AutoMOD at this stage. We certainly have the backend now to do that though.

Ahri89

Post by Ahri89 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 am

DavidIQ wrote:That is planned for 3.1 I believe. Not sure that'll be added to AutoMOD at this stage. We certainly have the backend now to do that though.
I can't wait for 3.1, thanks to all for the hard work. Thanks!
MODs translated to Spanish: ACP Add User MOD, ACP Announcement Centre, Advertisement Management, Custom Profile Fields, Update Reminder, Flood time setting per forum, MOD Version Check, Posting template, Prune Log, Simple Trash Bin, TinyPic Plugin, User Reminder, View Profile, View your topics, and more...

Sorry for my bad english xD

Elglobo
Former Team Member
Name: Mickaël SALFATI

Post by Elglobo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 am

Hi,

Congratulations ! I We have to compliment EXreaction for his work. He's coded a big part of titania and it was and is a pleasure to work with him (and the rest of the team) on this project.

See ya ;)
phpBB-Services.com: L'hébergement et l'assistance de votre forum phpBB en toute tranquillité.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:55 am

Well done to the team on this. :)

Will the Database/Development forums eventually be closed in favour of the support/discussion in Titania, and if so, when?
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:26 am

onehundredandtwo wrote:Will the Database/Development forums eventually be closed in favour of the support/discussion in Titania, and if so, when?
Only the 2 release forums (MODs and Styles) will be closed/locked and that will happen probably in the next few days. We still have a few more things we need to do first. :geek: We haven't considered eliminating the Development forums as of yet.

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 am

So far, this new system looks great!
I only hope that the FAQ section subject could have more characters available, but other that this it looks very tidy and really straightforward to use.
Congratulations to the team! :D
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

eman80

Post by eman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am

amazing :D :D

very nice 8-)

thank you phpBB team for this great work and special thanks to Customisation Database Team
:)
welcome to my forum:
http://www.elibrary4arab.com

Ashley.S.
Name: Ashley .S.

Post by Ashley.S. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

I must say it all looks rather impressive and looks a lot more neater so well done all 8-)

Now to my question: I take it that in order to have your mod/style listed on there, it will still be validated by the mod team and that updates will also be validated too, or would the validation process now be skipped?

Also what about the mods in development for those who may want to test, etc. or would they be left out and only have validated mods listed?

Sorry in advance if these have already been asked
Regards,
-Ashley.S. [ ProphpBB Free Forum Hosting Moderator ]

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

Ashley.S. wrote: Now to my question: I take it that in order to have your mod/style listed on there, it will still be validated by the mod team and that updates will also be validated too, or would the validation process now be skipped?
That process is not changed, MODs in the MODDB always will need to be validated.
Also what about the mods in development for those who may want to test, etc. or would they be left out and only have validated mods listed?
MODs in dev were not validated before, and will now not be validated. These MODs also werent displayed in the MODDB before.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Ashley.S.
Name: Ashley .S.

Post by Ashley.S. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 am

ok thanks Paul
Regards,
-Ashley.S. [ ProphpBB Free Forum Hosting Moderator ]

Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:43 am

amazing
phpBB team is always incredible... ;) ;)
My diary, my notepad, and my life on
http://www.bonatius.com
My online shop at
http://www.nefara.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”