[Discuss] Announcing Titania, the Customisation Database

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: MOD Support

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
leviatan21 wrote:
Paul wrote:We never mark MODs that are approved as ABD, it is not like MODs in development. Once it is approved, a MOD is only removed when we or clean up the queue or there is a security issue in it.
nextgen wrote:The only solution is to not provide more support for these MOD's :)
That's is ridiculous, I'm sure if the user know that a contribution is abandoned, will not install it, and not wait for undefined time for support if have a problem.
Can't you just create an FAQ in the Customization Database that says that you no longer support the MOD and it is offered only on an As-Is basis?
MOD authors can create FAQ pages, right?

Steve
Yes they can. In this case, however, all he has to do is put a large red text notice in the MOD description and include a notice that anyone can take it over. If he is annoyed by the notifications he can also easily unsubscribe from them so he doesn't get them anymore. I don't see why he's so bent out of shape about it. Only reason I can see is that he doesn't want to go through the trouble of editing as I outlined above and wants us to do it for him instead :roll:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Re: [Discuss] Announcing Titania, the Customisation Database

Post by leviatan21 »

@DavidIQ :
This is not a topic to discuss my problem, is about everybody problem :
1) Why nobody told me to do that, in each of my contribution ?
IMHO :
1) None of the MOD Team members read it before, I request here ( and Stoker 4.0 bump this topic ).
2) Is not contemplated that a contribution can be abandoned
3) I have request several times that anyone of the MOD team, explain me how to submit a BRIDGE, the only one who answer me was Paul and told me to contact another Special members and none of them answer me, for worth some days later one of them submit a bridge.
4) In the private forum, I've kicked off the team and I requested that my rank is removed, I'm still in the same group.
5) You ( all phpbb teams member ) doesn't care what happens at Titania neither in this forum or area51, most of you didn't come to read what's going on, or what's people say about this wonderful piece of software you do.

As you can read, yes, I'm upset. and that is some of my points to move out from phpbb.com
If someone have any problem with me or my opinion can PM me, but I think if nobody cares about an user can download an abandoned contribution, I'm sure my PM box will remain empty.
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes all of that is completely off subject here in this topic. But since you brought it up:
  1. You being a long time developer of MODs we figured you'd know the rules and having never seen an approved MOD having marked as abandoned it was rather strange that you asked us to do that. That we didn't answer your question in the discussion topic for your MODs was an oversight. You posted those questions around December 8, a time when a lot of us are in final exams, away from home, busy with lots of things in real life, etc. Sorry about that.
  2. http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/titania/63008 (not even created by me...have not reviewed the need for this just yet due to what I mentioned in my previous post here)
  3. Bridges are a lost cause. It was an idea that some team members came up with and turns out was not a good one. We can't tell you how to submit something that isn't actively being maintained. If the person we directed you to, who was the one in charge of that, couldn't give you clarity then the rest of us can't either... I'm planning on removing this from Titania in the near future as it never quite lived up to expectations.
  4. I've removed you from all user groups as requested.
  5. A lot of us on the teams frequent Area 51, especially those that are more programming-inclined. Not sure what you're basing that on. Also I find it disrespectful for you to say nobody cares about Titania when at least four of us have been dealing with the Titania tracker, each of us doing some fixing, coding, merging, additional contributions, etc.
I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or someone among my colleagues rubbed you the wrong way but you are welcome to either discuss it on IRC or via PM if you wish. You had said your goodbyes due to time constraints, according to your own post. This is the first I heard that you had a problem with someone here. :-?
leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

@DavidIQ I'm not having a bad day, do not try to minimize it, and point all this just to me, this is no new.

You know how I appreciate you, you was admin on my Spanish board, we start the Spanish IRC at freenode together, and have chats and PM a lot.
But you too ignores me for long time, same as most other team members, but that is another history.

In you last post, you point that the fault here comes from the Team, because they do not "speak to us", or even read us.

BTW : just split all this from this topic, I don't want to go off-topic with this my personal issues.
Miles Cellar
Former Team Member

Post by Miles Cellar »

Do not be so sur of your claims, "the team" read all the posts of this board and other parts of our site. We also talk about them in private before talk unnecessarily in public without any real solutions.

Thank you to post your feedbacks, they help us to improve greatly the community. However, keep in mind that we can not agree all the time and we have sometimes other priorities at the time. Remember, each team member is voluntary and has already specific functions which already take (a lot of) time.

I do not answer that for you to cry on us, but I ask for some understanding. Our goal is not to disappoint our users, but to fulfill them, and be assured that if we can not reply to a question or a feedback, that's just because we do not have the time to do it appropriately. It is useless to promise if we do not act. When we reply, we want to do it with solutions and ensuring that we can effectively solve issues. We would like to please everybody, do not forget we are first and foremost fans of our own products. ;)
Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Post by Stoker 4.0 »

Well, I am happy to see that I am not the only one missing response from the mod team in the discussion topics.
Then Im not crazy ;)

My point is that this is killing the motivation to contribute and that will make people leave the project.
leviatan21 is the living proof of that.
So Houston, we do have a problem here. Maybe more related to the mod team than titania?
leviatan21

Post by leviatan21 »

Stoker 4.0 wrote:Then Im not crazy ;)
No, we are no, but they want us believe it because we request they to work !

@Maël Soucaze there are some other topics that talk about this same thing, the actual team is not doing his "job" as they should.
A if they can't, they might do the same as I did, leave the place for new people.

But that will require some active leaders too, I loose the count of how many times I request to join to a team, and always was ignored.

I really miss the old team, one that his members was really active members of this community.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

leviatan21 wrote:
Stoker 4.0 wrote:Then Im not crazy ;)
No, we are no, but they want us believe it because we request they to work !
Nobody has said that. :roll:
All I said was that we are indeed busy people, just like you, just like Stoker, etc. If we had all the time of the day to sit there and respond to every single post that is made on this site we would. Obviously that's not the reality.

P.S. Please get back on topic. None of this discussion has to do with Titania. We monitor the MOD and Styles queues as necessary and as time permits and that's the end of that. If you want a "soap box" to vent your frustrations with phpBB as a whole then there's apparently already a topic here for that and I'd prefer to keep that discussion out of this topic. Thanks.
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
MODs in developement forum has more than 2.500 topics. Which means more than 2.500 MODs.
MOD DB (Titania) has 488 MODs.

I think all MOD team activities in MDOs in developement forum are optional. Firstly MOD author's should do the support. But my personal experience is that MOD team is very interested in feedback for problems there. They are removing infected download links very quickly, are closing discontinued MODs and so on. But I MOD team has not to be a operator for the MODs in developement forum. I think they just need some simple feedback to do this optional job.

My personal experience is that MOD team is doing very good job. And they are friendly and patient. I'm not a good programmer. But I've some MODs with a lot of code. You can believe me that they are doing a god job there.

I'm wondering about the less number MOD authors whom are trying to get their MODs validated. MOD authors whom are not interested in doing this thing IMO are not very trustworthy.

I have some problems with phpBB community, too. But in my experience at least the MOD team is doing a good job!

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
nextgen
Jr. Style Validator
Name: Melvin García

Post by nextgen »

@Maël Soucaze All styles below to version 3.0.8 will be cleaned?
メルビン・ガルシア • phpBB Development StylesphpBB Argentina - Soporte en español 🇦🇷

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:MODs in developement forum has more than 2.500 topics. Which means more than 2.500 MODs
Of which only 2000 of those are probably actual MODs in development (I'm not sure of the exact number). I can't tell you how many times I've seen "I have this MOD installed and need help" topics in that forum.
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:I have some problems with phpBB community, too. But in my experience at least the MOD team is doing a good job!
As a former team member, I'm going to take that slam personally. The users promoted to team members are done so because the current team members feel they do an outstanding job. If you have a problem with a certain team member, you are advised to speak with the user's team leader.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon »

nextgen wrote:@Maël Soucaze All styles below to version 3.0.8 will be cleaned?
I'm not Maël but he.
Yes, styles below 3.0.8 will be cleaned, ofcourse all Styles Authors will be notified so the can update there Styles to the latest version (3.0.10).
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!
nextgen
Jr. Style Validator
Name: Melvin García

Post by nextgen »

Raimon wrote:
nextgen wrote:@Maël Soucaze All styles below to version 3.0.8 will be cleaned?
I'm not Maël but he.
Yes, styles below 3.0.8 will be cleaned, ofcourse all Styles Authors will be notified so the can update there Styles to the latest version (3.0.10).
Ok, thanks master ;)
メルビン・ガルシア • phpBB Development StylesphpBB Argentina - Soporte en español 🇦🇷

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Is there a reason why we are not allowed to re edit subject title even seconds after it was posted? be nice feature to be allowed to have to correct typos and such.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Peter77sx wrote:Is there a reason why we are not allowed to re edit subject title even seconds after it was posted? be nice feature to be allowed to have to correct typos and such.
Click Edit -> Full Editor. ;)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Return to “phpBB Discussion”