Discuss: Summer of MODs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Discuss: Summer of MODs

Post by Pony99CA » Sat May 29, 2010 10:23 pm

battye wrote:
Палыч wrote:
battye wrote:The Thank You / Ratings MOD ("Allows users to thank a poster by rating a post or topic.") still has no entries yet, so if anyone would like to make this please send me a PM
It is already been made (so far only for the style prosilver) - version of 1.2.8 my MOD http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/
But while version 1.2.7 is Not Validated, so I can not put it.
Open a new topic not see the point, since the topic was already - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1690905
Does your MOD have any feature whereby the post or topic can be rated? (ie. given a 1 out 5, or a 7 out of 10, etc, etc). The ratings feature was an important part of the brief :)
I'm not sure about that. In fact, I specifically asked about it. To me, it sounded like confusion between Thanks (which go to an author) and Ratings (which apply to posts and/or topics).

If you would clarify that, it would be appreciated.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Палыч
Translator
Name: Сергей

Post by Палыч » Sat May 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Pony99CA wrote:it sounded like confusion between Thanks (which go to an author) and Ratings (which apply to posts and/or topics).
There is no contradiction. My mod is called "Thanks for post". And to say THANK YOU to the author, you are raising a particular rating of the post (or topic/forum that includes this post).
Rating author - by the sum of the THANK YOU for various posts. 8-)
Sorry for my bad english

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sat May 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Палыч wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:it sounded like confusion between Thanks (which go to an author) and Ratings (which apply to posts and/or topics).
There is no contradiction. My mod is called "Thanks for post". And to say THANK YOU to the author, you are raising a particular rating of the post (or topic/forum that includes this post).
Rating author - by the sum of the THANK YOU for various posts. 8-)
Did you read the post that I linked to? I wasn't talking about your MOD at all; I was replying to battye and saying the initial contest request was confusing.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sun May 30, 2010 3:53 am

I can understand how it can be confusing Pony99CA. As DavidIQ mentioned, the descriptions were intentionally vague to allow MOD authors the flexibility to do it however they wanted. The only criteria that had to be met was some combination of ratings/thanks. For instance (and this is not to say it is the best way to be done, it's just one that I have thought of off the top of my head), users could rate posts out of 10. For every rating of 10/10 that could be considered a "Thanks". When rating a topic, anything above 8/10 could be considered a "Thanks" for the topic author (because creating a topic which sustains interest and activity is rewarded).
Customisations Team Member

Палыч
Translator
Name: Сергей

Post by Палыч » Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 am

Pony99CA wrote:I was replying to battye
Sorry, perhaps I do not understand correctly.
Sorry for my bad english

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm

battye wrote:I can understand how it can be confusing Pony99CA. As DavidIQ mentioned, the descriptions were intentionally vague to allow MOD authors the flexibility to do it however they wanted. The only criteria that had to be met was some combination of ratings/thanks.
There's "vague", then there's "confusing". :D As I said, thanks usually go to authors and ratings are for posts/topics. Yes, you can combine them (as your example did), but I think that's the wrong way to do things. Either you'd have to explicitly spell out what rating was required to thank the author or people would have to guess by trying different things.

Based on your last sentence though, I assume that a MOD that separated Thanks and Ratings, but included them both, would be acceptable. One doesn't have to be linked to the other, right?

Steve

P.S. As a suggestion, if somebody does implement Thanks, an interesting addition would be to tie ranks to Thanks (that's a great rhyme :D) instead of posts. That would allow ranks to show how "useful" a person was, not just how prolific.

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Sun May 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Pony99CA wrote:P.S. As a suggestion, if somebody does implement Thanks, an interesting addition would be to tie ranks to Thanks (that's a great rhyme :D) instead of posts. That would allow ranks to show how "useful" a person was, not just how prolific.
Great idea, Sir. (or Madam)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sun May 30, 2010 1:58 pm

eviL<3 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:P.S. As a suggestion, if somebody does implement Thanks, an interesting addition would be to tie ranks to Thanks (that's a great rhyme :D) instead of posts. That would allow ranks to show how "useful" a person was, not just how prolific.
Great idea, Sir. (or Madam)
Thanks. :)

Steve (Male who has never heard of a female Steve. :D There are some Stevies, like Stevie Nicks, but that's as close as I've heard.)

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sun May 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Based on your last sentence though, I assume that a MOD that separated Thanks and Ratings, but included them both, would be acceptable. One doesn't have to be linked to the other, right?
I can't see any problems with that :)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun May 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Pony99CA wrote:Based on your last sentence though, I assume that a MOD that separated Thanks and Ratings, but included them both, would be acceptable. One doesn't have to be linked to the other, right?
That's the way I see it myself. Maybe you guys should look at how it's done in Titania...maybe something like hat could provide some inspiration?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 pm

WYSIWYG Posting MOD
A what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor for creating posts, topics and private messages. This MOD should be visually appealing and allow full functionality for existing bbCode and options for custom bbCodes.
A real time preview count as a WYSIWYG :?:
In fact it is not a WYSIWYG editor. Rather, it is a WYSIWYM Markdown editor (what you see Is what you mean).
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:22 am

leviatan21 wrote:
WYSIWYG Posting MOD
A what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor for creating posts, topics and private messages. This MOD should be visually appealing and allow full functionality for existing bbCode and options for custom bbCodes.
A real time preview count as a WYSIWYG :?:
In fact it is not a WYSIWYG editor. Rather, it is a WYSIWYM Markdown editor (what you see Is what you mean).
That would be fine :)

leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:58 am

Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 am

leviatan21 wrote:WYSIWYM Markdown editor :D
Thanks, the announcement will be updated shortly with a link to your topic :D

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 am

Since we have plenty of submissions to fill up all categories, remember to give yourselves enough time for the validation portion of he contest. ;) That is just in case we end up having to deny the MOD and you have to re-submit.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”