phpBB Homepage Updated

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: phpBB Homepage Updated

Post by tbackoff » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 am

I like it. A good refresh every once-in-a-while doesn't hurt.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 am

Now just fix the blog/announcement font sizes!

If anything they are backwards - the Title/Links should be large and the blurb underneath should be normal text sized. ;)

It is like this:
AutoMOD 1.0.0 released • Announcement
AutoMOD 1.0.0 Released The Modifications Team is proud to annou... read more

But it could be more like:
AutoMOD 1.0.0 released • Announcement
AutoMOD 1.0.0 Released The Modifications Team is proud to annou... read more

Also, images in the blog/announcement posts are showing up as raw URLs on the homepage :|
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 am

TBH I have to quote
nuckfan15 wrote:Can't say I am a fan. It was nice how the announcements were clearly visible. Now you have to scroll down the page. Also, It was simple and clean. This new design is a bit "in your face" which is annoying.
At first was WTF.. now it's just unclear (what does create and share means? Most newbies would think it is some kind of free forum host, or at least that is what i would think) and IMO it's just 4 large menu buttons that are already at the top (navigation bar?) about, customize are double (so a bit pointless imo).
I always think when adding new buttons (that was it is really) it has to be functional, now it's just a fancy way to "attract" ppl to that part of the site and unfortunately those buttons already exist.. Or are you guys gonna drop the about, customize etc menu items from the navigation bar..
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 am

My .01 (worth half as much)....and teh list
  • As this site is now loaded with all sorts of javascript/jquery why can't the pretty pictures, instead of redirecting, just display the content underneath when clicked?
  • what is the grey bar under the new images all about? If it's to break up the page, the page is already broken up.
  • Des is right on concerning the 3.0.7 link hovering over it changing from white to red? Meh. (BTW, I believe the white thingy under the 5 is within the actual header image itself)
  • The announcements/blog post whatevers seem to be like the ugly step child and not styled as the rest of the site is. Your images aren't being parsed (eg the Automod topic), was this on purpose as the link

Code: Select all

http://www.phpbb.com/theme/images/mods/automod_logo.png
    seems rather pointless.
  • every image I right click on produces a dotted blue line that goes across the screen from right to left. Left clicking on the image produces the same result, albeit, red (in FF anyway).
..and I have to sort of agree with the images overall I am losing the point of having them just seems to be more "bloat" and thought phpBB was anti-bloat. I have attached a screen capture so everyone is on the same "page". ;)
home_page.jpg
home_page.jpg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 620 times
BTW, which one of the team members is the big elephant? :lol:

PS, <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></script> is also a bit outdated also the bertie image (the "buy a bertie") that rotates with the rest in the footer flashes? What is this a brothel in Las Vegas?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:As this site is now loaded with all sorts of javascript/jquery why can't the pretty pictures, instead of redirecting, just display the content underneath when clicked?
Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done. We could make the entire site in flash and make it really do neat things too. ;)

Javascript is used when it benefits the user. Displaying important content with javascript means that users cannot bookmark the content and means the users have an entire disaster without javascript enabled.
RMcGirr83 wrote:..and I have to sort of agree with the images overall I am losing the point of having them just seems to be more "bloat" and thought phpBB was anti-bloat. I have attached a screen capture so everyone is on the same "page". ;)
The whole point is to make it more usable to users. You have to remember what it is like for someone who has never tried/seen/heard of phpBB before coming to our front page and trying to figure out why they should use phpBB, if phpBB will work for them, and how to install phpBB to test it out. Our previous front page did nothing for those users.

You can have the best software in the world, but if people cannot navigate around your website and figure out how to use it (easily), they will go somewhere else.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 pm

EXreaction wrote:The whole point is to make it more usable to users.
Really? You broke just about every usability heuristic possible and from an aesthetic perspective in graphic design, the images have no design element in common, neither in image content or color. It looks like various children's books puked out their illustrations onto a web page at random. What has an elephant to do with a figure in a spacesuit or cogs or a puzzle earth? None of the images relate to each other or follow a common theme and the colors are all over the place with several clashing noticeably. Forget the fact that none of the new "images" add anything new but create redundancy with the pre-existing header navigation menu. Duplication in UI design is bad, especially when it clutters up a page for no good reason. I see the ginormous images have been shrunk but they are nothing more than a confusing distraction from the header menu and really need to vanish completely since they are redundant clutter anyway. ;)

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:24 am

The update is slick.

The only thing I notice missing is feedback when you hover over one of the 4 images. Maybe make the text illuminate blue.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:39 pm

I think this is a nice update and looks much better.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:55 pm

De gustibus non disputandum est.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:28 pm

stevemaury wrote:De gustibus non disputandum est.
Indeed.
We should talk less, and say more.

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:39 pm

[Post redacted]
Last edited by Desdenova on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Desdenova wrote:Out of curiosity, does Vlad Gerasimov sponsor phpBB or the site in any way?
No, he does not sponsor this project. However, he has kindly granted us permission to use his work on phpBB.com, and we do display a link to his web site at the bottom of every page in accordance with his Terms of Use.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:46 pm

stevemaury wrote:De gustibus non disputandum est.

Nunc es bibendum!!
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Desdenova

Post by Desdenova » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 pm

[Post redacted]
Last edited by Desdenova on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeroen B
Name: Jeroen

Post by Jeroen B » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Desdenova wrote:Then why the obsession with having his stuff everywhere on here?
Better then all different kinds of images and stuff....
Jeroen • My modifications

Return to “phpBB Discussion”