phpBB Homepage Updated

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
rickymallory

Re: phpBB Homepage Updated

Post by rickymallory » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:30 am

VSE wrote:
rickymallory wrote:One thing I have personally found to have grown tired here is the grey background color, to me it doesn't do the rest of the design much justice... I'm not sure whether a dark blue/dark blue gradient would suit phpBB better.
How about they replace the grey background with one of Vlad Gerasimov's images :)
That would be a little heavy on bandwidth :o

A simple 500px high gradient of a nice color that is 1px wide would be good then just repeat it and take the bottom color of the gradient and use that as the bg color :P

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:49 am

[EDITED]

When I create and people give me feedback, I expect them to respect my choices.
Looks like people respect the Teams choices here, but offcourse giving feedback.

A written before, more info about phpBB is needed. And granted :)
I never go to the frontpage and I believe it should be written for potential new users.
I am done with phpBB

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:25 am

t_backoff wrote:Now, if I may steer this back to the reason the topic was originally started - I just realized that the blog posts and announcements are grouped together. What was the reasoning behind this? I liked having them separate, as I could glance at a topic's title and know that I'm reading the announcements section or the blog section. Having to check the end of the title to see what I'm looking at is (at least for me) less desirable.
I totally agreed with this so I went ahead and split the 2. I also added in a missing "what is phpBB" intro and some links for ease of entry to some of the more important/visited parts of the site (MODs and Styles for instance). Hopefully we're going in the right direction here :D

Again, thanks for the feedback so far.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:00 am

Progress on the front page :mrgreen:

I like the "Test It" feature, although I won't need. it...But for newbies, what a great tool/feature!!
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

VSE wrote:It's fancy shmancy! :mrgreen:
I fear change.

Also, it's taller now, so I have to scroll to see the announcements and things. :|
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:23 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:Why does every update on here, for better or for worst, always end up in a sour grapes thing.

I, for one, am getting tired of constantly, constantly, CONSTANTLY, reading about those, and you know who you are, who have nothing else better to do than to piss and moan about minutia CRAP without offering anything CONSTRUCTIVE to the topic other than to gripe and pitch a fit.

Whether it be about this or about Titania or the wiki or the new bug tracker ad farken nauseum.

There is a saying, and I will probably get slapped for it, "either put up or shut up".

I am now officially done with this topic because I can't stand the pettiness.
Also, Rich, somebody can't stand your way of telling things, things are those you above mentioned. If you are in a bad mood, as always I can say, then do not post nor read.. if reading some stuff you do not like then ignore or use the IGNORE feature VS the OPs you know they are nit-picking or the like, some Moderator will take care of your private AD . OK?

Thank you.

/me bored to read your complaints about that innocent things here and there all over phpbb.com

Thanks in advance
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 am

narqelion wrote:
Pietje15 wrote:Better then all different kinds of images and stuff....
And yet that is what you already have, a random assortment of completely unrelated images that match in no way at all nor visually represent the content they link to. :lol:
True, but the banner graphics -- which are much bigger than your so-called "ginormous" images -- had the same issues. The only ones that sort of relate to their topics are the Development and Community banners. Did you complain about those, too? (I wouldn't be surprised if you had, actually.)

However, the graphics do draw your eyes to them -- and then you read the captions to see what they're about. I'm not sure textual captions standing alone would be so eye-catching. (Yes, the graphics could be better aligned with the content, but maybe they couldn't find appropriate images.)
narqelion wrote:
Mr. Bond wrote:I really don't see a point in the images at the top. Sure, they are nice works of art (kudos to Vlad) but what purpose do they serve since all of their links are accessible via the menu bar? Not only that, the images generally have nothing to do with the links that they are associated with.
Does anyone else hear an echo? ;)
That's a very appropriate reference. The Echo of mythology was a woman "who loved her own voice". Hmmm.....
narqelion wrote:Tip #1: You need to be ruthless when it comes to what gets included on any given page, being "cool" or "liking it" are not good enough reasons to throw something up there.
Not everything on a site has to be functional. There can be some room for "cool" or 'beauty". Otherwise very few sites should have banner graphics, for example. Google would also have to lose their Doodles in your "ruthless" world.
narqelion wrote:How many other people who have replied in this topic would have noticed the changes on their own without this topic to prompt them to go look?
I always do. I look at the home page to see if there's a newer version of phpBB (it's faster than logging into the ACP) and to see if there are new blog posts or announcements.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 pm

I LOVE IT!

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:22 pm

I like the changes.

For the record, I think that the "test board" thing is great, but it hasn't reset yet in the past 3 days, even though on the front page it says it will reset after 1 hour. At least, the user I registered on it is still there. I haven't actually tried posting or changing anything else.

Secondly, I think that there needs to be a more visible link or graphic button for the testing feature. I look at the home page every day and stuff kind of runs together. Even when it was redesigned, I didn't sit and read through the new Intro text until I noticed that it was slightly different than before and saw the brown text under it. I would not have known about the testing feature had I not read it then.

Maybe a "Test me" or something link, and maybe add it on the What is phpBB? page (like "Try it yourself to see what it is" type thing).

:)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:31 pm

The home page will be undergoing further changes in the coming weeks that will give more prominence to the demo.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Pony99CA wrote:True, but the banner graphics -- which are much bigger than your so-called "ginormous" images -- had the same issues.
The images were shrunk shortly after several of us commented on their enormous size, and they were much much larger than the banner graphics so I suspect you never saw what I was talking about.
Pony99CA wrote:However, the graphics do draw your eyes to them
Maybe they draw your eyes but as I stated previously, this mishmash of images and wild assortment of colors is visually distracting and unappealing for (my eye) thus that page makes me look away. I believe another poster phrased it as "in your face" which also fits my reaction to it. ;)
Pony99CA wrote:That's a very appropriate reference.
How so? It was a teasing rejoinder directed at Mr. Bond whose post sounded like an echo of my previous post in the topic, bringing up the same issues point by point. I thought it was funny and suspected he had not actually read through all the critical posts as he was echoing the same concerns. :roll:
Pony99CA wrote:Not everything on a site has to be functional.
Who said it did? I said you need to be ruthless when deciding what gets included on any given page, no where did I mention functional. You can include "cool" and things you like so long as they are relevant. I'm sure plenty of people here like Vlad's illustrations but that is certainly no reason to plaster them all over the website when they have no relation to the content. ;)
Pony99CA wrote:Google would also have to lose their Doodles in your "ruthless" world.
Hardly, Google uses their Doodles to represent holidays and special events as they occur throughout the year making them perfectly relevant during the timeframe they are displayed. :D
Phil wrote:The home page will be undergoing further changes in the coming weeks that will give more prominence to the demo.
Ever consider holding a design contest open to the community for your homepage makeover? Submissions could then be voted on by everybody, may the best (web) designer win. :P

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 pm

narqelion wrote:
Phil wrote:The home page will be undergoing further changes in the coming weeks that will give more prominence to the demo.
Ever consider holding a design contest open to the community for your homepage makeover? Submissions could then be voted on by everybody, may the best (web) designer win. :P
Yes, we have considered it. Does that answer your question? :P

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm

imkingdavid wrote:For the record, I think that the "test board" thing is great, but it hasn't reset yet in the past 3 days, even though on the front page it says it will reset after 1 hour. At least, the user I registered on it is still there. I haven't actually tried posting or changing anything else.
We're looking into this as someone else has already pointed it out to us.
imkingdavid wrote:Secondly, I think that there needs to be a more visible link or graphic button for the testing feature. I look at the home page every day and stuff kind of runs together. Even when it was redesigned, I didn't sit and read through the new Intro text until I noticed that it was slightly different than before and saw the brown text under it. I would not have known about the testing feature had I not read it then.

Maybe a "Test me" or something link, and maybe add it on the What is phpBB? page (like "Try it yourself to see what it is" type thing).
It's actually provisional for now where it's at. It will eventually get its own landing/intro page explaining how it's supposed to work at which time it should get a better representation on our site. :)

Mr. Bond

Post by Mr. Bond » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm

The updated homepage looks great! I have to say, kudos to the team member that actually listened to the community and took the critisism and made changes when you really didn't need to :)

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Forgot to mention here that I've updated the home page once again based on recommendations and suggestions. While the announcements and blog posts were separate for a bit because we couldn't come up with a good way to show them as different, we've come up with a solution so the home page is a tad shorter now. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”