[Discuss] phpBB “Ascraeus” 3.1 Feature Freeze

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Re: [Discuss] phpBB “Ascraeus” 3.1 Feature Freeze

Post by VSE » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 pm

It is time to move on from the old phpBB2 style of subsilver2. :roll:
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:11 am

The major reason for me to stay with phpBB is the prosilver style.
I find it easy to customize and in my opinion it looks much more PRO than other BB themes.

But I can understand why people are screaming about the disc of subsilver2.
Lets not forget that subsilver2 was created to have something similar to the phpBB2 style and that was because we wanted people to switch from phpBB2 to phpBB3.
Discontinuing subsilver2 is kind of letting these people down.

Some people just hate changes. I still remember the days after my convert from 2 to 3 and starting to use prosilver :shock:
I am done with phpBB

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 am

SS2 was a development style for phpBB2 -> 2.2 -> 3.0 before the super secret Prosilver was made public. Naturally it was based from the subSilver style from phpBB2.
It was a more or less complete style when phpBB3 went gold and was decided to be supported.

I know there are several good programmers here who could pick up the SS2 and upgrade it to phpBB3.x
Take this as an opportunity for a community project and keep it alive. :) (and call it a "BakedSilver")
Signature is here

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I will of course continue to use phpBB whatever you do with the styles and I actually prefer proSilver, it was something new which I felt was needed. However the users of my board would seem to disagree, despite me making proSilver the default style 80% of my users switched to subSilver2.

This being said I understand totally the desire for just one style, when I am adding mods to my board I find it frustrating to have two styles to alter. That must be multiplied by 1000 for the development team with 3.1 and version 4.

I guess the final decision is already made but I wonder if some polls or surveys before you decided would have been worthwhile. Just because we really don't know the strength of feeling out there, will the loss of SubSilver drive members away from boards, or will it even drive some forum owners to other providers. Probably not, certainly not in my case, but we don't really know

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:58 am

the reason to get rid of subsilver is about the coding and having to upgrade it/support is etec.

the end user does not care how the style is written, all they care about is does it function correctly and how does it look.

all those users that choose it as their style, do not have a clue about the coding etc. they simply lilke the looks of it and the way it works.

so.... as has been said already, simply give them a prosilver based style that looks like subsilver, there is already at least one of them available.
then, every body is happy.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

VSE
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:43 am

We had "Summer of Mods"...

How about "Winter Wonderland of Styles"...

if phpBB put out a similar contest to the style developer community with a specific request for a subsilver3, I'm sure that would be a great way to get a good prosilver-based look-alike in time for the release of 3.1 ;)
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

PreBB

Post by PreBB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:39 am

VSE wrote:We had "Summer of Mods"...

if phpBB put out a similar contest to the style developer community with a specific request for a subsilver3, I'm sure that would be a great way to get a good prosilver-based look-alike in time for the release of 3.1 ;)
That's a good idea, very nice if it is similar T-shirt design contest :D

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:06 am

VSE wrote:We had "Summer of Mods"...

Is having a Summer of Mods

But yeah, I think this is a very good idea.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 am

I don't see the point of the whole ss2-discussion...
Other custom-styles like for example the Serenity are already custom and not-supported by phpBB.com. In the future the same will go voor ss2. I'm sure someone will continue to develop it, so you can get the support there. It's not so weird that only one style is supported by phpBB.com...

(for the record: I use a ss2-based style myself)
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 am

Ger wrote:and not-supported by phpBB.com.
Ofcourse it's supported. If you ask a question about it on the styles support section, people ask if it's based on prosilver or subsilver2 and you get an answer accordingly. Once subsilver2 isn't supported anymore that same topic with your question about Serenity will then be closed immediately because it's a subsilver2 based style, just as topics about phpBB2 are now.
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

Ger

Post by Ger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am

If it's in the Customisation Database it can be supported, can't it? Just like Serenity, IdLaunce, etc. No topics are closed beacause of customized boards...
It isn't supported by the phpBB.com-team, but by the costumizer.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

marian0810
Former Team Member

Post by marian0810 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:41 am

Ger wrote:No topics are closed beacause of customized boards...
They are when it's phpBB2, no matter how many people would be willing to help. So why would this be any different? It seems to me that not supported means "not allowed to talk about it here"...

Ger

Post by Ger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am

I think we don't understand each other correctly. I'm not talking about using a skin for 3.0.x on 3.1.x. I'm talking about someone developing a 3.1.x version (fork) of subsilver(2). When submitted to the Customisation Database and validated by the styles team, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. However, there won't be any guarentee of support by the phpBB.com team. Just like with custom styles in the current Customisation Database. It is allowed to talk about it and to give peer to peer support or for the style author to give support.

As far as I know there is no reason and there are no plans for the this to change when 3.1 is released.
My extensions:

marian0810
Former Team Member

Post by marian0810 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Do you ever read the styles support section? Any idea how many topics about "how can I move this up or down", "how can I put this in the header", "how can I recolor this"... there are for subsilver2 based styles? None of those are in the support topic for a particular style, but they're still answered. For now.
Ger wrote:When submitted to the Customisation Database and validated by the styles team,
If that will happen. Wouldn't that be the same as validating a phpBB2 mod today?

But I hope you're right ofcourse :D

Ger

Post by Ger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:05 pm

marian0810 wrote:Do you ever read the styles support section? Any idea how many topics about "how can I move this up or down", "how can I put this in the header", "how can I recolor this"... there are for subsilver2 based styles? None of those are in the support topic for a particular style, but they're still answered. For now.
True. But does that matter? Of course most topics are related to Prosilver or subsilver-based styles, because most styles are based on one of those. But there are also different styles like for instance Serenity. That's vaguely based on subsilver2, but very different. Support voor Serenity isn't prohibited.

And what about taking Prosilver and changing it to look like subsilver? Seems doable to me. Skip the rounded corners, change some colors and swap some template bits around. I think an experienced skinner could do that in about 20 hours.
marian0810 wrote:If that will happen. Wouldn't that be the same as validating a phpBB2 mod today?
Why? It's the same like validating a phpBB3 mod or style today. As I said before:
Ger wrote:I'm talking about someone developing a 3.1.x version (fork) of subsilver(2).
My extensions:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”