SEF/SEO URLs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Re: SEF/SEO URLs

Post by Stoker 4.0 »

As Google says: "Use words in URLS"
http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/s ... -guide.pdf

I know we have had this discussion over and over, but I still think its a good idea to use forum and viewtopic titles in URLS. Not by an EXT but by default core phpBB ;)
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Frankly I guess it will happen once somebody code it and put a PR in.
Anybody aware of an extension that does this ?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have a search.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Mick wrote:Have a search.
Didn't find any that works, searching for more than a year. have a beneficial answer?
What is the reason for being aggressive to users?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

koraldon wrote:searching for more than a year
Interesting. My search request only took 2 seconds.

And as per Re: I can not get the search to work in here
AmigoJack wrote:As for the original topic (not the customization database issue): click on ☰ Quick links > Search and you got what always worked in the past.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

koraldon wrote:Frankly I guess it will happen once somebody code it and put a PR in.
Anybody aware of an extension that does this ?
Checkout this one
https://github.com/tas2580/seourls
Looks pretty updated.

There is only one issue:

For a critical extension like this, having this maintained by only one user, and not being officially supported is a huge risk (simplest scenario phpBB releases 3.3.X, dev leaves support -> forum highly broken)

I've been working with multiple CMS lately and the main problem I find with phpBB is the massive deprecated extension database that exist for core features (without replacements). I don't know exactly why this is happening, maybe retrocompatibility issues between core versions burned out ext developers?

Since SEO practices are somehow a "metaphysical" art, there is always a divided thinking about every single aspect of this practices, from "to SEF or not to SEF" to "does google fave favicons?". But making it possible by default (Wordpress do this) is not something from my POV arguable. For some reason forum CMS, (except mainly vBulletin and IPB) have turned into a castling position to avoid working towards this feature.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

koraldon wrote:What is the reason for being aggressive to users?
I'm not being aggressive, I'm giving you an answer, you know what you want you should know what to search for. In any case, if you're looking for an extension and can't find anything that suits your purpose you should make an extension request. You'll either be pointed to an extension you want if one exists or someone may decide to build one for you.
    " - Harmony Cobel
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Thank SirLouen for the reference, I saw it but according to the developer thread here on the extensions forum, it is still in [Dev] status, not RC and nor final.

I agree with your thought though, that any changes to the routing are best included in the core and not as an extension. Your scenario happened (I think) with the PHPBB-SEO mod for PHPBB 3.0 which left a lot of ppl stranded. See case here: viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2375011

This is why I think that the best way forward is to include it in core, but since the developers are busy and it seems not to be a priority, maybe an extension developer can voluanteer his code to be part of the core code.
tas2580 wrote:hi
Maybe Tas can provide his input...

Mick,
Multiple requests exists already as well, no need to add another one:
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2381981
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2369406
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2366126
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2359136
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2345091
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2341776

Just a partial list....
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I know, I've read most of them. I would have thought by now though if there was any interest in doing it then someone would be. My opinion only.
    " - Harmony Cobel
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

Mick wrote:I know, I've read most of them. I would have thought by now though if there was any interest in doing it then someone would be. My opinion only.
The problem is not "someone doing it". The problem is that this type of critical extension outside core is extremely dangerous.

The only way Is that a current ext developer goes through the core extension "route". I don't know how difficult is this to be accomplished.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think the reason nobody has really made an effort is because most of the "coders" are aware that it is simply not worth all the changes needed for something that really makes little if any difference in SEO.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
oneduality

Post by oneduality »

I've tried several forum software packages and unfortunately only a couple support this feature. It IS immensely useful to have human readable urls from a marketing standpoint, our clients ASK and often DEMAND this because they use these urls in e-mail campaigns and often enough, print materials.

It's use to pagerank is irrelevant, but it is relevant from other standpoints.. Sadly the response from those not supporting it is ultimately the same. It boils down to "it's too hard" "it doesn't help SEO"

I think the most likely reason is "it's too hard" .. I don't get this response, unless the code base is a huge mess then that shouldn't be the case, the real issue is that the code base probably is a mess and this was never considered in the initial building blocks and none of the core developers wish to take time implementing a useful, requested feature.

In my googling around I find this is a highly requested feature when it comes to forum software, it's actually a pretty standard feature in most modern web applications these days, the fact it doesn't exist in what is largely considered the most popular open source bulletin board software blows my mind.

Some web apps have supported this for years already.. ( Wordpress, Joomla .. to name a couple ) ..

It really is a shame this isn't a priority, it means we cannot recommend this software to our clients.. I actually came to this post because it was a requirement for a project we're doing.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

oneduality wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:40 pmbecause they use these urls in e-mail campaigns and often enough, print materials
Tell them about redirects, which can be created for every page, unbound to the software(s) being used. Including phpBB. Problem solved.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”