SEF/SEO URLs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: SEF/SEO URLs

Post by Pony99CA »

arifur wrote:These days you really do not need SEF url. Search engines are more than capable recognizing the content of your site without SEF url. Yes it does help the users (humans) if you have SEF url but thats about it. Wel phpbb 3.1 is out and it does support extensions so we will not require to use any hack or mod. Some one will create a SEF extension.
The issue isn't whether search engines need readable URLs; I hope that we all agree that they don't. The issue is whether having a readable URL (with keywords) confers better SERP for those keywords and, if so, how much better.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
arifur

Post by arifur »

I think that it used to help a lot back in the day, not that much nowdays. Thats just me, others ay have a different view on this.
Arvi89
Name: Arvi LEFEVRE

Post by Arvi89 »

Hello,

I saw the new phpBB 3.1, so I wanted to try, and I'm really surprised to not see SEO friendly URLs... And saying it doesn't help for search engine is wrong, sometimes when I search in Google the highlighted word is the one in the url, but more importantly, today people share a lot of links, and I really prefer reading something I can read just by looking at the link...
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Arvi89 wrote:And saying it doesn't help for search engine is wrong, sometimes when I search in Google the highlighted word is the one in the url
Just because the word you're searching for is in the URL doesn't make the link "SEO friendly". If I do a Google search for viewtopic, does that phpBB "SEO friendly"? I mean, it has viewtopic in the URL. ;)
Arvi89 wrote:today people share a lot of links, and I really prefer reading something I can read just by looking at the link...
Emphasis mine - I'm glad you stated that you prefer this and not "everyone" as some people claim. Regardless, some people will want this and others wont. I personally think this would be a great extension, but that's my opinion.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
AyaB

Post by AyaB »

You will realize the importance of SEO URLs when your site gets big and many other forums begin to replicate your content.

There was this site in a free preinstaled PhpBB forum host with SEO URLs that always copied our news and started to pop-up over our site. Google seems to asumme that having keywords in your URLs makes your site the source of the article.

No need to say we started to use PhpBB SEO Mod since then.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I was going to stay out of this but I just can't. :twisted:

that is just plain wrong. that site more than likely had something else going on that made it show up higher than yours in the pages. or, your site was getting stale or something, or, it was just the normal ebb and flow of listings.

If, so called "friendly" urls make any difference it would be so minute that you would not be likely to see it without really really knowing what you are doing when running extensive SEO testing.

ask google. don't believe anything anyone else tells you about what google likes or doesn't like, including me. Ask google, do the research on google.com, not on any site that is trying to sell you SEO service, not anywhere but google.

and , be aware that what google likes/dislikes today may not be the same as what they like/dislike tomorrow.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
AyaB

Post by AyaB »

We are talking about a 100-1 traffic and probably a 100-0 backlinks.

In long term, yes, my site would end listed over it. But this is a forum, content is created daily and those keyword end up being crucial.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Keywords on content, meta or URL's does not get taken into consideration for page rank. if at one point this was true, it isn't anymore. Search for it, Google has it documented on their blog or youtube channel.
Arvi89
Name: Arvi LEFEVRE

Post by Arvi89 »

http://static.googleusercontent.com/med ... -guide.pdf
Page 8, done, search engine prefer friendly URLs.

And seriously, of course it matters. When you post a link in a forum, if in the link has keywords, when search engines will crawl the page it will matter.

But anyway, for me, just the fact the url should be readable for other people when you share it is a big point.
Mathieu M.
Name: Mathieu

Post by Mathieu M. »

Hello,

For all people who want to get friendly URLs and some other SEO tips, you can install phpBB SEO extensions : https://github.com/phpBBSEO

There are still minor bugs, but it works good ;)
😄😄😍😄😄
Jocelyn79
Name: Jocelyn

Post by Jocelyn79 »

To complement the information posted by Arvi89, here is another page from Google about URLs:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/76329
LokoLobo

Post by LokoLobo »

Ugg. This is a daunting thread.
But now my 2 cents: I don't know if SEO's prefer the key word URL's or not. But I do like the simplified URL's if for nothing else then the simplified ability to share it with someone or linking it to facebook or something along those lines.

Our forum is currently using phpbb3.1.1 and I look forward to the day someone makes a solid extension that I can get from the Extension Database Releases group.
gboyega.dada

Post by gboyega.dada »

@KevinC I just read through this topic and all I can say is wow, you people (at phpbb support) really do like to argue! Should we even bother asking for a new feature? (Since you're just going to make us argue for a DECADE on why it should be added). Especially one that is already available in any decent php app out there. Why make everyone suffer like this? Very disappointing.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

LokoLobo wrote:I do like the simplified URL's
Same here:
/viewtopic.php?p=13829961#p13829961 is much simpler to me than needless prosa like
/topic/post/13829961/#comment13829961 where I have no clue which parts I can change manually.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

gboyega.dada wrote:@KevinC I just read through this topic and all I can say is wow, you people (at phpbb support) really do like to argue!
It isn't arguing, it is debating as to why it's even needed in the first place which, it would seem, it isn't. Other than to "pretty-fi" the link that is.
Should we even bother asking for a new feature?
You can ask for a new feature and it can be accepted or not. Just because it's asked for doesn't mean it will be implemented.
Why make everyone suffer like this? Very disappointing.
Suffering, really? That seems to be a bit overly dramatic. As far as "very disappointing"..if you are so disappointed then don't use the software. There are a myriad of other choices out there to use if this one isn't suiting your purposes.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image

Return to “phpBB Discussion”