Drupal Integration?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
User avatar
GeekDrop
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Drupal Integration?

Post by GeekDrop » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Anyone know if there's a good way to integrate the latest PHPBB with the Latest Drupal yet?

Thanks
GeekDrop.com
Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
Stop By Sometime!

User avatar
Sam
Former Team Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:59 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Name: Sam Thompson
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by Sam » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 am

An official one is actually being worked on, you can expect something ready in the very near future. Check out this blog post, it explains a little bit: http://blog.phpbb.com/2010/07/28/oscon-2010/

demon327
Registered User
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by demon327 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:11 am

GeekDrop wrote:Anyone know if there's a good way to integrate the latest PHPBB with the Latest Drupal yet?

Thanks
Since the phpbb team is stil working on there bridge i recommend to install this one;
http://drupal.org/project/phpbbforum

it's the best untill the phpbb is done with there bridge...

User avatar
GeekDrop
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by GeekDrop » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Glad to see it's being worked on. Thanks for the info guys. :)
GeekDrop.com
Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
Stop By Sometime!

lastnico
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm
Name: Nicolas Ternisien
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by lastnico » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:27 am

As a Drupal user, I would instead advice you to use internal Drupal's forum, that is actually very good. And if you need more features, there is also Drupal Advanced Forum.

It's indeed always better to use core solutions instead of bridges.
Forum Software Reviews Review, compare and test forum softwares.

Image phpBB score: 9/10!
Vote for best forum software of 2011

User avatar
Sam
Former Team Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:59 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Name: Sam Thompson
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by Sam » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm

lastnico wrote:As a Drupal user, I would instead advice you to use internal Drupal's forum, that is actually very good. And if you need more features, there is also Drupal Advanced Forum.

It's indeed always better to use core solutions instead of bridges.
Bridges allow two existing piece of software to integrate without one or the other to have to reinvent the wheel. I would say it's always better to to use a bridge when you have two incredible pieces of software that you would like to integrate instead of settling for less.

lastnico
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm
Name: Nicolas Ternisien
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by lastnico » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm

SyntaxError90 wrote:
lastnico wrote:As a Drupal user, I would instead advice you to use internal Drupal's forum, that is actually very good. And if you need more features, there is also Drupal Advanced Forum.

It's indeed always better to use core solutions instead of bridges.
Bridges allow two existing piece of software to integrate without one or the other to have to reinvent the wheel. I would say it's always better to to use a bridge when you have two incredible pieces of software that you would like to integrate instead of settling for less.
Agreed if the two solutions existed before you need to create a bridge between them, but, using two different tools, it's IMHO x2 systems upgrades, x2 systems configurations,... hmm no sorry x3, because you have Drupal, phpBB, and the bridge itself.

Remember that Drupal allows to post comments, write articles, as phpBB does, and apart adding new modules to Drupal, it will be hard to keep coherencies between the two systems about bbcodes, comments formatting, synchronization with social networks,...
Forum Software Reviews Review, compare and test forum softwares.

Image phpBB score: 9/10!
Vote for best forum software of 2011

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 am

lastnico wrote:
SyntaxError90 wrote:
lastnico wrote:As a Drupal user, I would instead advice you to use internal Drupal's forum, that is actually very good. And if you need more features, there is also Drupal Advanced Forum.

It's indeed always better to use core solutions instead of bridges.
Bridges allow two existing piece of software to integrate without one or the other to have to reinvent the wheel. I would say it's always better to to use a bridge when you have two incredible pieces of software that you would like to integrate instead of settling for less.
Agreed if the two solutions existed before you need to create a bridge between them, but, using two different tools, it's IMHO x2 systems upgrades, x2 systems configurations,... hmm no sorry x3, because you have Drupal, phpBB, and the bridge itself.
phpBB and Drupal were released roughly in the same time frame (phpBB is 10+ years old; Drupal is 9-10 years old). So if somebody wants to keep their phpBB forums and use Drupal for content management, they'll need this bridge.

Yes, it's much more difficult to manage, but I presume the phpBB developers (being developers) realize this. Now they won't just be able to update the bridge on their own schedule, they'll have to accommodate Drupal's schedule to some degree.
lastnico wrote:Remember that Drupal allows to post comments, write articles, as phpBB does, and apart adding new modules to Drupal, it will be hard to keep coherencies between the two systems about bbcodes, comments formatting, synchronization with social networks,...
And I believe Syntax was implying that Drupal's board functions weren't up to par with phpBB. (And, even if they are, see paragraph #1. ;))

But the bottom line is the same as always -- if you don't want the bridge, don't use it. :)

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

jamieaa64
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by jamieaa64 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:34 pm

SyntaxError90 wrote:Bridges allow two existing piece of software to integrate without one or the other to have to reinvent the wheel. I would say it's always better to to use a bridge when you have two incredible pieces of software that you would like to integrate instead of settling for less.
I think it will be interesting to see how this develops. My guess is that you'll have a tough time convincing Drupal users of this. In the Drupal contributed environment everything fits together so nicely compared to other pieces of software and so users kind of expect things to work well together. For example (I'm sure it won't be like this) if an official integration merely integrated usernames and passwords. IT would please some people but not die-hard drupalers because they are used to managing their taxonomy from one places for example.

Even when acquia have put effort into integrating Drupal with Solr Search (which is an obvious and very tight integration) some people are sceptical.

The worry is that integrating 2 awesome pieces of software is only awesome if the integration is awesome! Its done poorly everywhere else but I'm really looking forward to what you guys come up with.

I don't know if you have done this already but can I recommend you contact Michelle? http://drupal.org/user/23570

She tends to get involved in all the forum-ey stuff of drupal including the advanced forum module and DruBB and seems to particularly like phpbb. And maybe even make a presense here: http://groups.drupal.org/forum-improvements

Don't know if that group is actually that relevant...

demon327
Registered User
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by demon327 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm

jamieaa64 wrote:
I think it will be interesting to see how this develops. My guess is that you'll have a tough time convincing Drupal users of this. In the Drupal contributed environment everything fits together so nicely compared to other pieces of software and so users kind of expect things to work well together. For example (I'm sure it won't be like this) if an official integration merely integrated usernames and passwords. IT would please some people but not die-hard drupalers because they are used to managing their taxonomy from one places for example.
I personal think that many user will be happy with a basic bridge that just syncs the username and passwords and maybe the profile field mapping......

i'm more looking forward for a Drupal 7.xx release of a bridge, would be nicer for the feature :)

jamieaa64 wrote: The worry is that integrating 2 awesome pieces of software is only awesome if the integration is awesome! Its done poorly everywhere else but I'm really looking forward to what you guys come up with.
it can't get worse then the current unstable bridge, this one; http://drupal.org/project/phpbbforum

lastnico
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm
Name: Nicolas Ternisien
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by lastnico » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 am

jamieaa64 wrote: I don't know if you have done this already but can I recommend you contact Michelle? http://drupal.org/user/23570

She tends to get involved in all the forum-ey stuff of drupal including the advanced forum module and DruBB and seems to particularly like phpbb. And maybe even make a presense here: http://groups.drupal.org/forum-improvements

Don't know if that group is actually that relevant...
Yes, we already discuss from times to times with Michelle. She develops Advanced Forum (based on dedicated Drupal forum), so I don't think she is a big fan of phpBB bridge ;-)
Forum Software Reviews Review, compare and test forum softwares.

Image phpBB score: 9/10!
Vote for best forum software of 2011

jamieaa64
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by jamieaa64 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm

So my excitement about this is that the phpbb team are really good. They seem to take pride in not giving people just what they want but doing things right (so phpbb3 didn't have quick reply and avatars were on the right). This is pretty cool but I feel like if they understood why Drupal was so cool and what makes a Drupal site awesome they would see that a purely surface level bridge will never be quite as cool as the way the world ought to be organised.

So yeah users would use it and get exited using phpbb on their forum even though they could find the modules to get something similar with advanced forums but it wouldn't be the right way of doing things.

If phpbbers were able to understand why Michelle puts so much effort into Advanced Forums you'd see the disadvantages with Bridges and what makes drupal awesome. (The way everything fits with everything else). Thing is, I think the phpbb team have the opportunity to make phpbb4 in such a way that there is no disadvantage with a bridge but it would require an understanding of what makes drupal good. (As I said before, in the same way Drupal works with CiviCRM).

I mean they could just do the surface level bridge, but with properly written code. That would definitely make people happy, but wouldn't be awesome.

User avatar
Kellanved
Former Team Member
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Meta-level

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by Kellanved » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I respectfully disagree to some of the notions expressed here.
I would call myself a seasoned drupal developer; I've rolled out major drupal-based sites, written themes and modules. And yes, drupal does a great job as a CMS and as framework. I see no reason why phpBB couldn't be bridged just like Civic - providing user, permission and views integration is not hard to do and would go a long way.

This does not say that advanced forums is not a great module, but it cannot compete with phpBB when it comes to scalability.
Parts of the drupal infrastructure are not designed to handle huge amounts of nodes; the userbase is much smaller and the security model is not really intended for users to create their own nodes.

That doesn't make drupal or advanced forums any smaller - they rock. If they work for you - great!. However, there is a certain point where a dedicated forum script might be requires - and thus possibly a bridge that would enable drupal to be used to go along with it.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

jamieaa64
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by jamieaa64 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Kellanved, I'm quite happy you've said that!

So I don't know exactly what are the advantages of using the core forum module over a seperate one but here are a few:

- Can you make it so that forum posts automatically appear on the front page with the flip of a switch?
- Could forum content be used in a view so it could be viewed differently (like a calendar object)
- Could it integrate seamlessly with other modules such as the translation module. So that a spanish version of the site would just be picked up be phpbb? Or the feeds module?
- Could it integrate seamlessly with Fields API and Taxonomy? So that for example if a user tags a forum post, it will appear in a standard drupal tag cloud that works with core taxonomy?
- Will Captcha rules governing comments in the "blog" automatically be picked up with phpbb?

So I like that you mention Views integration. Probably Field API integration would be needed as well (Which I think Civic does).

I wonder if a true integration with drupal could be achieved with phpbb3, wouldn't it need some changes to the phpbb architecture? Is a true integration something that could only come with phpbb4?

lastnico
Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm
Name: Nicolas Ternisien
Contact:

Re: Drupal Integration?

Post by lastnico » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:45 am

jamieaa64 wrote:Kellanved, I'm quite happy you've said that!

So I don't know exactly what are the advantages of using the core forum module over a seperate one but here are a few:

- Can you make it so that forum posts automatically appear on the front page with the flip of a switch?
- Could forum content be used in a view so it could be viewed differently (like a calendar object)
- Could it integrate seamlessly with other modules such as the translation module. So that a spanish version of the site would just be picked up be phpbb? Or the feeds module?
- Could it integrate seamlessly with Fields API and Taxonomy? So that for example if a user tags a forum post, it will appear in a standard drupal tag cloud that works with core taxonomy?
- Will Captcha rules governing comments in the "blog" automatically be picked up with phpbb?

So I like that you mention Views integration. Probably Field API integration would be needed as well (Which I think Civic does).

I wonder if a true integration with drupal could be achieved with phpbb3, wouldn't it need some changes to the phpbb architecture? Is a true integration something that could only come with phpbb4?
It looks like hard to achieve such requirements. It's already complex to create a plugin on an existing framework and API, so, creating it on the base of 2 different APIs is really painful, more particularly for projects as dynamic as Drupal and phpBB are.
Forum Software Reviews Review, compare and test forum softwares.

Image phpBB score: 9/10!
Vote for best forum software of 2011

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”