Making phpBB more social - what have you bridged with?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Darth Apple

Re: Making phpBB more social - what have you bridged with?

Post by Darth Apple »

I've definitely wondered about this as well. Many paid softwares such as Xenforo and IPB have these features built in, but I'm personally glad phpBB sort of focuses on providing an awesome message board out of the box rather than bloating extra features in. phpBB is the gold standard for open source communities because it's very stable and and focuses on the essentials of good forum software. I love that.

That being said, in the past, I know that there were some extensions for this sort of thing. Is there still general interest in profile status updates (guestbook style) plugins for forums? I know my community loves these features, but I'm seeing them on fewer communities today than I have seen before. It truthfully seems like Wordpress, Oxwall, etc (as others before have mentioned) simply do a much better job.

I will admit, I've definitely thought about it. I wrote a plugin for this on MyBB (facebook style status updates with likes and replies) this year, and it has received a lot of interest and support (much more than I had expected). But that being said, it still seems (as others before have mentioned) that integration options such as Wordpress and Oxwall simply do a much better job than any extension could.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Darth Apple wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:33 am
Is there still general interest in profile status updates (guestbook style) plugins for forums?
I know of a paid extension that does this, unsure if there's a free one.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

We've added photo galleries (now 5.3 million posted photos), attachments (now over 143 million attachments) as well as facebook, twitter and pinterest sharing to all posts.
lrgrthnlf

Post by lrgrthnlf »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 am
I believe that most of the phpbb users want it to stay a bulletin board software, not a facebook clone etc.
I'm not suggesting that phpBB's core functionality or mission be altered, or that such features be made a part of the core, just seeking to see what people have integrated phpBB with. What kind of ecosystems have people built around/adjacent to phpBB?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 am
a lot of us are hopeful that a lot of the current so called "social" apps are on the way out.
I mean, if you mean is MySpace pretty much dead, and is Facebook being overlooked by newer generations, sure.. but then it's not like there's a vacuum - people are moving on to other apps. That's not to say everyone is.. sure, some people see "social media" as an anathema, and I can understand why, but I'd posit the number is lower than those who don't.
Marek Muc wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:05 pm
@lrgrthnlf , so what effect do you expect from making your board more 'social'? would you like to see discussions about e.g. covid-19 or Trump vs Biden there? or pictures of users' pets?
Honestly? Some fluff is fine IMHO. There's a place for longer form discussion, which phpBB does really well, and space for shorter, more informal chat (both realtime and asynchronous).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”