Which do you prefer phpbb2 or phpbb3?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
XeekKCnook

Which do you prefer phpbb2 or phpbb3?

Post by XeekKCnook »

If you never experienced phpbb2, please do not post that you prefer phpbb3 for it is not a fair vote.

Personally I miss phpbb2 greatly!

EDIT: I also used phpbb2 instead of invisionboards because I liked phpbb2 better.. but then phpbb had to basically copy invisionboards, which is a LOT less user friendly.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Which do you prefer phpbb2 or phpbb3?

Post by Phil »

What is it, in particular, that you miss? While phpBB3 may have a slightly larger learning curve, it is significantly more powerful and expandable (specifically with regard to the permissions system). Additionally, as it was a from-scratch effort following phpBB2, it is much more secure; phpBB 2.0.23, the last release of phpBB2, has several outstanding security vulnerabilities; phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 has none (similarly, the phpBB3 line has not experienced a major security vulnerability). From an administrators standpoint, I find it hard to beat a significant improvement in security, extensibility, and control. I do agree that some portions of the UI could be simplified further (mainly, the permissions system), but in order to do this, specific feedback is needed as to where problems lie ;)

On a similar note, with the ongoing development of the 3.x line, phpBB 3.0 and up has room only for improvement; phpBB2, on the other hand, has not been supported for some time.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

XeekKCnook wrote:please do not post that you prefer phpbb3 for it is not a fair vote.
Then that's me. I've only ever used phpBB2 a few times before.

There are already a few sort-of-similar topics though.
Discuss: What does phpBB2's retirement mean for you.
phpBB2 vs phpBB3, my point of view...
phpbb2 vs phpbb3...

Also, you may want to see the phpBB features page for a comparison. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

XeekKCnook

Post by XeekKCnook »

Hmm. I specifically miss the simplicity of phpbb2. the user CP is FAR too complicated for the average user whereas in phpbb2 the user would pick up the ability to use it to an almost instant time frame. To be honest, I still have a horrible horrible time journeying through the current user CP. I also personally don't think that phpbb 3 is as visually appealing as phpbb2. Was there not a way to just add the security strength of 3 onto phpbb2? ALSO! there is an abundance of phpbb2 mods/hacks when there are only a hand few of phpbb3 mods/hacks. But I do like that it is more secure.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

XeekKCnook wrote:the user CP is FAR too complicated for the average user whereas in phpbb2 the user would pick up the ability to use it to an almost instant time frame. To be honest, I still have a horrible horrible time journeying through the current user CP.
I would have to say it's probably just a matter of getting used to. I can see where you are coming from, but phpBB3 has far too many options to display all on the one page.
XeekKCnook wrote:I also personally don't think that phpbb 3 is as visually appealing as phpbb2.
Well, the main difference is the profiles on the right, which I actually like better, however it can be changed. I have heard people accuse the phpBB3 smilies of being "alien", but the phpBB2 smilies can be used to replace the phpBB3 ones.

Besides that, you can also use subsilver2 which looks like phpBB2's subsilver. There are also plenty of other styles available if you look in the styles demo.
XeekKCnook wrote:ALSO! there is an abundance of phpbb2 mods/hacks when there are only a hand few of phpbb3 mods/hacks.
That is true. I hear the arguement that phpBB3 is younger, but it does seem that there were more MOD developers in the days of phpBB2. Similar to phpBB2, there is a MOD Requests forum, and if you're lucky a MOD author might pick up your idea. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Also the popular phpBB2 MODs are now built in features of phpBB3.
Less need to MOD phpBB3...
Signature is here

XeekKCnook

Post by XeekKCnook »

You really go out of your way to help don't you? :D I'll be looking at some of those links to see if I can FINALLY get a feel for the darn thing. Thanks :)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

phpBB2... what's that?!

lol

Really... Come on - by far phpBB 3 :lol:

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

I definitely prefer phpBB3.

I've only used phpBB2 a couple time, just to see what it was like, but I prefer phpBB3 so much more.

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

phpBB 3 by far.

1) Its still supported
2) It has a better style
3) Its more secure
4) It has Sub-forums
4) It has a much better permissions system
5) It has General features overall.
6) Its Banning & Warnings system is more advanced
7) It has Report Post/PM Features
8) The Compatibility is better
9) It has Custom BBcodes
10) It also has a better Polling system
11) And it has a much better System Changes (Topic Review, Post Drafts, Quick Reply, Attatchments)
12) It has a Caching system
13) It also has better searching and new/active/unread ect., posts pages.
14) It has much better forum features like forum passwords, style forum allocation, url redirect forums, subscrition to forums, bookmarks and email/print topics.
15) It has a better UCP managment
16) A decent Private Messaging System.
17) A much more advanced user groups system
18) Moderation System Improved to have a moderation queue, Global Moderators, Post Editing Locking, Changing Post Author, Merging posts/topic and User Notes
19) It has Nice ACP Changes
20) It also has Permission Roles, Bookmarks, Feeds and alot lot more
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

XeekKCnook wrote:EDIT: I also used phpbb2 instead of invisionboards because I liked phpbb2 better.. but then phpbb had to basically copy invisionboards, which is a LOT less user friendly.
In what way do you think phpBB3 copied IPB?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

PhpBB3 by far. I remember the first time I added custom bbcodes (a strikeout code) with phpBB3; I was so relieved it took only a minute. With phpBB2, it took forever. That's just one example among many that I could give.

But, I do agree with the point about mods. For whatever reason, I remember there being a mod for just about everything for phpBB2 as early as 2005. But starting around 2006 or 2007, it feels like the mod developer community shrunk. To some extent, phpBB3 made a lot of the mods (multiple bbcodes, page generation time, gzip compression, subforums, usergroup colors, custom profile fields, etc.) redundant. But there were still so many random mods for phpBB2 like phpBB chess and rabbitoshi for which there is no equivalent on phpBB3.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.

noth

Post by noth »

what we lost with phpBB2 we more than made up for with phpBB3 :D that is for sure
XeekKCnook wrote:Hmm. I specifically miss the simplicity of phpbb2. the user CP is FAR too complicated for the average user whereas in phpbb2 the user would pick up the ability to use it to an almost instant time frame. To be honest, I still have a horrible horrible time journeying through the current user CP. I also personally don't think that phpbb 3 is as visually appealing as phpbb2. Was there not a way to just add the security strength of 3 onto phpbb2? ALSO! there is an abundance of phpbb2 mods/hacks when there are only a hand few of phpbb3 mods/hacks. But I do like that it is more secure.
too complicated for the average user ? the "average user"? hmmm I would say for the newbie user MAYBE

anybody who navigated through phpBB2 for any time, would certainly get used to phpBB3 within a couple of weeks - it has a lot more to offer anyway

for one thing I love the "new" system for updating phpBB3 to the next upgrade, it was manual editing on phpBB2 as far as I remember anyway :x good topic

himmler123

Post by himmler123 »

I prefer phpBB3 too.

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

XeekKCnook wrote:Personally I miss phpbb2 greatly!
I don't, I happily use it. :D
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”