phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is a drop down at the top right of the styles database where you choose styles of each version. when you choose 3.2 the only ones that appear are those that work with 3.2 and those that also work with 3.1 and 3.0

I agree that if you are going to archive everything associated with a version that is EOL, then styles should also be archived but I would think it is not really worth the trouble for the styles database.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

As you can still download older versions (back to 3.0.0) from the official download path, it is only logical that you can also download suitable mods and styles ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Big Mac wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:29 pmI was looking in the Customisation Database at the Styles section (for some styles that work with 3.2. I noticed that there are some styles there that appear to only work with 3.0 (for example World of Warcraft: Alliance, Serenity or Hestia).

I'm wondering if those styles are now depricated and could be moved somewhere else.

Or if, maybe people could search specifically for styles designed for 3.1 or 3.2 and find only the styles that will work for the version of phpBB they have. (The same sort of thing could apply to the other things in the Customisation Database.
The guys above said it all, styles sorting is available through a drop-down in the CDB, creating filters like this (3.1) and this (3.2).

The default is still set to "All branches" mainly because we currently have two versions which are still supported. But I do agree that at some point it might be good to hide the 3.0 styles by default to make it easier for new users. Good suggestion, we'll keep it in mind. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 pm there is a drop down at the top right of the styles database where you choose styles of each version. when you choose 3.2 the only ones that appear are those that work with 3.2 and those that also work with 3.1 and 3.0
Thanks Robert.

I did have a look around, but didn't think to click on a dropdown called "All branches".

I'm down to 49 options now, which is going to be a lot easier to work through, as I try to find a new style to use. 8-)
canonknipser wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm As you can still download older versions (back to 3.0.0) from the official download path, it is only logical that you can also download suitable mods and styles ;)
That's a good point.

I suppose some people need to install unsupported versions of phpBB, in order to help recover and migrate old databases...or so that they can use a deprecated version of phpBB to help them upgrade old forum MODs or styles and so on. :)
JimA wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 pm The guys above said it all, styles sorting is available through a drop-down in the CDB, creating filters like this (3.1) and this (3.2).

The default is still set to "All branches" mainly because we currently have two versions which are still supported. But I do agree that at some point it might be good to hide the 3.0 styles by default to make it easier for new users. Good suggestion, we'll keep it in mind. :)
I wonder if the term "All branches" could be changed to something like "phpBB version", when you next work on that page, to make it a bit clearer to someone like me who doesn't join up the dots with "All branches".

I like the idea of you being able to hide the older styles (without getting rid of them). I wonder if you could also flip the dropdown upside down, so that you have "Current Styles" at the top and "Depricated Styles" below, a bit like this:
hypothetical drop down list wrote:phpBB Version
Supported Versions
phpbb 3.2.x
phpbb 3.1.x
Deprecated Versions
phpBB 3.0.x
phpBB 2.0.x
Something like that might help the users focus in on the phpBB version they want to find stuff for, and defocus the old stuff, without making it too difficult to find.

Found something else - Styles missing from the demo website

The phpBB 3.2 styles demo website has 42 styles on it, but the search for 3.2 styles in the Customisation Database brings up 49 contributions.

If I can figure out which seven styles are missing from the styles demo website, is there someone I could ask to get them put onto the demo website?

EDIT: No, there are 43 phpBB 3.2 styles - not 49. So there is only one style missing from the demo.

EDIT 2: My Invision is missing.

Found some people missing a message on the prosilver style page

The prosilver page says this:
Styles Robot wrote:Please remember support for this style will be giving in our 3.1.x Styles Support Forum or 3.2.x Styles Support Forum, and bugs about prosilver should be reported in the phpBB Tracker.
8 users have missed that and posted topics on the forum that the Support tab brings up.

I wonder if a global moderator would be able to post a "Go here for support" sticky in that forum (that pretty much repeats all the blurb that Styles Robot wrote) and then lock the forum down, so that nobody else can start topics.

(Maybe the same thing can be done for anything else in that database, where people should request support outside of that area.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Big Mac wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 am ...and then lock the forum down, so that nobody else can start topics.
No that is not possible. All we can do is mark it as "no support provided", which I've done now.

As for the MyInvision style: that seems to be as designed for some reason that escapes me right now. The style does not seem to be "prosilver based" so it's not included in the demo listing even though there is a demo for it. Will look into it though, thanks.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:23 pm
Big Mac wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 am ...and then lock the forum down, so that nobody else can start topics.
No that is not possible. All we can do is mark it as "no support provided", which I've done now.
Strange that you can't lock the forums in those bits, but it seems like a non-standard thing you are using there, so I guess I don't have to learn how it works.

Thanks for doing the sticky.
DavidIQ wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:23 pmAs for the MyInvision style: that seems to be as designed for some reason that escapes me right now. The style does not seem to be "prosilver based" so it's not included in the demo listing even though there is a demo for it. Will look into it though, thanks.
When I was here a few years back, before 3.1.x went live, I was under the impression that everything was going to have to be prosilver based, after 3.0.x. :?

I'll have to look at it again later, to see what you turn up.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Big Mac wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:23 pm Strange that you can't lock the forums in those bits, but it seems like a non-standard thing you are using there, so I guess I don't have to learn how it works.
Not strange at all since they’re not forums. ;) Glad they aren’t because can you imagine if each and every contribution had its own permissions? Would be a total nightmare. No thanks :P
Big Mac wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:23 pm When I was here a few years back, before 3.1.x went live, I was under the impression that everything was going to have to be prosilver based, after 3.0.x. :?

I'll have to look at it again later, to see what you turn up.
Nah, styles don’t have to be prosilver based at all. The one in question is not set as being prosilver based, although I’m not sure if that’s just a mistake by the author, but I won’t be changing their selections there.
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

is it possible add "Mention tools" in https://www.phpbb.com/community/ ?
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

What are "mention tools"?
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

means Mention extension ;)
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

<snip>
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Meis2M wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:52 pm means Mention extension ;)
phpBB.com generally does not install extensions so as to keep as close to a vanilla install as possible. If you would like this functionality on your board, feel free to request an extension or download one if available. ;)
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Meis2M wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:52 pm means Mention extension ;)
Besides what was already mentioned by Kailey, it will be an available feature of the next feature release of phpBB so it will be available when this forum gets upgraded to that version, which usually happens shortly before the official gold release. We won't be adding an extension for that to this site before then. Since you'll probably make a follow-up question of "when will it be released" the answer to that would be: at a future date yet to be determined.
david63

Post by david63 »

Has there been a change on this site?

Over the last couple of days I have noticed a change in behaviour. I always access the posts on this board, and most others, by using Quick links > Unread posts, read a post and then click the back button. Up until yesterday this would always take me back to the previous page including the topic I had just read, but now it takes me back to the previous page minus the topic I have just read.

At first I thought that it was a browser/PC issue but the same thing happens on my laptop, but it does not happen on any other phpBB boards such as Area51.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

There hasn't been any chance as far as i know. This more sounds like a browser issue as phpBB can't control the back button workings.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”