phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by Kailey »

I can assure you that wasn't the intention, however, I've alerted the rest of the team to your concern.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

KaileyT wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:55 pm I can assure you that wasn't the intention, however, I've alerted the rest of the team to your concern.
Is there any reason for not responding?
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

It will be changed at some point in the future. Thanks for bringing it up.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

Thank you for responding. I did not expect kind of immediate change. It's ok to put it on a "todo list".
More than one person is misusing the term "someones first language" to express "belonging to a certain ethnic group".
There is no good reason for leaving room for such misinterpretation.
Random American

Post by Random American »

I think it's kind of obvious that is saying that other boards are available for those with limited English proficiency or feel more comfortable writing in their native language. It doesn't seem to be racist, nor going after an ethnic group, as there are many ethnic groups who do not natively speak English, or even speak it at all.

I don't care if it is changed or not, but I do not see how this is important.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I was wondering since a while why so many users so not use the full package upgrade method and run into problems by using the automatic update for their forum software. The instructions in the Support / Documentation section - User Guide are very easy to understand and give clear direction. Why don't they just follow the instructions?

It seems that many of those users have started the process by clicking the Downloads tab rather than using the Support tab.
This is what they see. There is no tab for the full package update.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-12 um 14.14.30.jpg
When people click at the Automatic Update tab, they see no clear warning nor a clear info that a full package method exists and that automatic update is to be used only in limited cases. The link to "our guide" is not very informative and can easily be missed out.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-12 um 14.15.00.jpg
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

HaioPaio wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm When people click at the Automatic Update tab, they see no clear warning nor a clear info that a full package method exists and that automatic update is to be used only in limited cases. The link to "our guide" is not very informative and can easily be missed out.
This will be fixed soon
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Brf wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm
HaioPaio wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm When people click at the Automatic Update tab, they see no clear warning nor a clear info that a full package method exists and that automatic update is to be used only in limited cases. The link to "our guide" is not very informative and can easily be missed out.
This will be fixed soon
Is the NEED HELP section shown on https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/, specifically the Install or Update phpBB also being reviewed and fixed as mostly references the EOL 3.2.x version and makes no mention of the 3.3.x.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

P_I wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:08 pm Is the NEED HELP section shown on https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/, specifically the Install or Update phpBB also being reviewed and fixed as mostly references the EOL 3.2.x version and makes no mention of the 3.3.x.
That file is part of the phpBB download, and because we are still running phpBB 3.2 here, that is the version it still references. Once we update phpBB, that file will be up to date again as well.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Is there a particular reason why the .TXT extension has been disabled for attachments in the extension development forum?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, we prefer sort of not to host things. Upload it to a fileshare site or your own site.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Paul wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:08 pm Yes, we prefer sort of not to host things. Upload it to a fileshare site or your own site.
I don't have any problems but do you also realise that you have made a lot of posts unusable? :geek:

(I'm not talking about my 2 or 3 which I've already fixed) :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Paul

Post by Paul »

This has been like this for over 15 years ;).
pxdetroit

Please fix the general support forum readme page

Post by pxdetroit »

Knowing how important it is in this community to post in the correct forum, I set about finding the right one for customizing a bit of the code.

On the main support page the readme at the top takes you to another page which says to use the mod writers area. Go to that page and it demonstrates this. Trying to find the mod writers area was futile so I googled it and found that it was discontinued. So I began to search inside the 3.3.x forum and their readme speaks of a custom coding area. Yes, that is where I think the post should go.

• index.php (see "Announcements Read me first before posting anywhere!")
  • viewtopic.php?f=14&t=358419 (from above, see "If you wish to add a particular function to your board, try asking in MOD Requests, after having read this. If you're seeking help in writing code to change the way your board works, please post in MOD Writers Discussion."
  • Can't find this Mod / Mod Writers section ANYWHERE on the site, so I googled it and found:
    https://www.phpbb.com/mods/ (it says the mod section was discontinued)

Finally, as I said, I started searching in the 3.3.x and their readme page pointed me to the correct place.

So, maybe the admins can update the main support page's suggestions on where to post.

THANK YOU on behalf of all the people who are trying to follow the directions (and finding a labyrinth with a dead end).
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Please fix the general support forum readme page

Post by warmweer »

A couple of remarks.
Your post in itself (notwithstanding the fact that the issues mentioned are valid):
  1. has a title which is is confusing: the page you mentioned is an announcement in the category General: a correct page title and link would have saved me time searching;
  2. is not a Idea in the true sense of "an idea" and does not fit in the Ideas forum;
  3. would have been better posted in Development: section Bug Trackers for Website & Tools or even in personal communication with the Community Team

BTW the alert reader hopefully notices that that specific post is 15 and a half years old and will/should notice the information supplied in each forum title.

Having said all this: I do agree that the topic could do with an added post (as an update).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”