phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by 3Di »

Paul wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:04 pm Last time I checked 2020 was two years ago.
It depends on how you calculate the years and not the days 2020-2021-2022 = 3 - we are in the third year, on 6 January 2023 we will be in the fourth year. These are minutiae, points of view, of course.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Paul wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:04 pm But we are working on it, we are just having some things that need to be done first before we can do the upgrade as they are coupled to the login here.
I want to say this, even if it sounds a bit sour, but after at least 24 months any decent programmer would have solved these problems, much sooner. If these little problems take so long, I can't imagine what a real employer would say in this case. Let's be honest, let's not hide behind strawberries.
It has always been the motto that the main site uses the latest officially released version, and here everything falls down, and with it the trust in what has been professed and carried out over the years by predecessors.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

It is easy just complaining as you have no idea what actually is happening?
I have been a teammember for over 15 years here, have spent in those last 15 years most of my spare time (Which was in some cases over 60+ hours a week besides my full time job) on this project, and the only thing I can read now here when I visit is people complaining about stuff.
Of course I don't like it either that we haven't finished the upgrade here. But you have no clue why it hasn't been done. And saying that a any programmer would have finished is shows that as well. (And some of the issues we are having aren't even software related issues.)
In the last nearly two years (Or three, as that is how we now started counting.) I was forced to work basically from the same desk for work as for private time. You know, that forces you mentally to something you really don't want to be in. And that means sometimes stuff that we do in our spare time simply gets put over a bit over some mental health related issues.
Of course this should not be a excuse, however we are still doing all of this for our spare time. We try to do this as much as possible, but in some cases this means that things do go slower. Of course I would have loved that with the 3.3 release everything would have been done. In this case it was simply not possible due to the relations with other integrations we have (And which we nearly all solved.). phpBB.com is not just a standard board, there is a whole lot of stuff integrated with (But custom stuff, and off the shelve products for which we need to modify the integration).
We are trying to get it finished as soon as possible. But possible is not always the as soon as we really want. And you know, with every visit the motivation to get the possible being sooner is not increasing. Maybe you should start to think about that with every post you making complaining about how we are doing.

TLDR; We are working on it. We know it is late. It will be done. At one point. Maybe tomorrow, maybe over a month. No need to remind us that we are behind.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm It depends on how you calculate the years and not the days 2020-2021-2022 = 3 - we are in the third year, on 6 January 2023 we will be in the fourth year. These are minutiae, points of view, of course.
The Internet and date calculators disagree with you: http://howmanydayssince.net/1/1/2020
:mrgreen:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:32 pm The Internet and date calculators disagree with you ... :mrgreen:
2.02 years === we are in the third year
3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm ... we are in the third year, on 6 January 2023 we will be in the fourth year ...
3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm These are minutiae, points of view, of course.

@Paul thanks for your reply.
I gotta go now, I will come back to this topic after having re-read and thought more about your arguments. In case.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:44 pm
DavidIQ wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:32 pm The Internet and date calculators disagree with you ... :mrgreen:
2.02 years === we are in the third year
3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm ... we are in the third year, on 6 January 2023 we will be in the fourth year ...
3Di wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm These are minutiae, points of view, of course.
Yes, "minutiae" for sure, but when you're wrong you're wrong. ;) Math must not be your strongest subject huh?

Busting your chops. I know what you're saying :P
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:47 pm Yes, irrelevant for sure, but when you're wrong you're wrong. ;) Math must not be your strongest subject huh?
So, if you are born today, how old are you? Zero, but you are in your first year of life. Uhu?
So if you are 1 year old plus one day then you are in your second year of life. Uhu?

In any case, I don't have time to discuss topics that have already been dealt with by other famous people. Rather, I wonder why you cling to completely irrelevant subtleties instead of contributing positively to the discussion... indeed, many of us wonder about this, you know.

We are having a quiet discussion, there is no need to intervene with satirical jokes designed only to stir up tempers, I am surprised.
pit-PL

Post by pit-PL »

Paul wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:07 pm We are trying to get it finished as soon as possible. But possible is not always the as soon as we really want.
“Nothing someone says before the word ‘but’ really counts.”
George R.R. Martin
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

pit-PL wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm
Paul wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:07 pm We are trying to get it finished as soon as possible. But possible is not always the as soon as we really want.
George R.R. Martin
I might be wrong about your intentions, but this kind of post doesn't serve any purpose other than to spread negativity.

Incidentally, I've got a pool going for when Winds of Winter will be released.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

pit-PL wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm
George R.R. Martin
Generally true, but not always ;-)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
pit-PL

Post by pit-PL »

warmweer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:07 pm Generally true, but not always
Generally you're right, but...
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

Hello i have a suggestion for phpBB.com main website and others sub pages.

i think only blog page is made by wordpress. i suggest main page and others pages convert to wordpress too.
there is a plugin in wordpress as elementor, it is a web builder.
https://elementor.com/

with this tools it will easily create many pages. we should start from main page and others pages to modernize and then forum.

linux mint page change the theme after years finally ,https://linuxmint.com/ ( not wordpress my means modern style )
now phpbb.com must do this.
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Nope, not going to happen. The style has also nothing to do with what software is used.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Meis2M wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 am now phpbb.com must do this.
Interesting point: MUST. :)

I, on the other hand, believe that removing WP and the blog is the right thing to do.
At the most bring the previous blog articles on static pages (collection), I do not think that the activity of phpBB-bloggers wants to resume after so many years.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

George R.R. Martin wrote:Nothing someone says before the word ‘but’ really counts.
That's nothing but idiotic.
Meis2M wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 ami suggest main page and others pages convert to wordpress too.
Every Wordpress installation that doesn't offer a search (let's not even start about a good search) is a waste of time for each author: if you cannot search through text or filter parts of articles by other means it's just a diary one either wants to read or not. And since phpbb.com doesn't offer that (only a reroute to Google) it can only be found by search engines, if at all.

If each article would be a topic/post then it's automatically seachable because of the board search. And that's a rather good search system, having multiple options. I never understood why people never grasp that texts/work they produce should be found when others search for specific information - otherwise it's just a WORN (write once, read never) approach and they're basically wasting their life with it. People even hardly use formattings in their Wordpress articles - I don't even need to ask what they'd miss when just writing posts in a board because they'll most likely tell me something about feelings...
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “phpBB Discussion”