phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by callumacrae » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 pm

I swear it used to be tricky to get in :/

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:21 am

Boardtalk.net wrote:Do you know what would be handy? A proper place for Custom BB Codes as apposed to the one thread and may I point out that is has 347,057 views and 2,909 replies.
Hear, hear! I suggested a separate BBCode forum last month.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
Boardtalk.net wrote:Do you know what would be handy? A proper place for Custom BB Codes as apposed to the one thread and may I point out that is has 347,057 views and 2,909 replies.

Steve
http://code.phpbb.com/projects/customis ... de_typedev

I'm currently developing a way to integrate custom BBcodes into the CDB (Titania). But it needs a bit more development as the submit contribution, types and download systems need revising.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 am

Great Job with the "Get Involved Page". :) Excellent Idea.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

phpsingh

Post by phpsingh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Pony99CA wrote:

Steve
good idea (from a newb standpoint)

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:00 am

1. When you visit phpbb.com home page alot of people will just want to download it as a zip. So perhaps make the download link in the top right hand corner link straight to the zip download mirror.
  2. The download link could possibly be made a bit more prominent. The user's attention immediately goes straight to the four links below the navigation bar.
  3. When a user goes into one of the 4 links below the navigation bar they get taken to that page. But they have to use the back button to find the other 4 main links. As although the header image links to the homepage, they may not realise that. So perhaps on those four pages display the four images linking to parts of the site.
  4. The hosting page doesn't look very good and could do with a bit of a refurbishment. It doesn't look too inviting.
  5. The Convertor & Bridge Databases, nobody knows they exist as they aren't linked to anywhere. You have to use the Breadcrumbs of the MODDB or Styles DB or deep-link to get there. Convertors are a vital part of making someone switch to phpBB. Perhaps link to the DB & Forum here. Bridges on the customise page.
  6. On the main development page it would be useful to contain information on how phpbb is developed. Like the framework, future versions and how versions are done. Also a link to phpbb's github profile on that page would be useful, otherwise they have to go into the code forge, the repo there, then get redirected. Its in the side bar but thats not very easy-to-see without looking for the word git.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 am

I have some comments about the introduction section on the index.
phpBB is a free flat-forum bulletin board software solution that can be used to stay in touch with a group of people or can power your entire website. With an extensive database of user-created modifications and styles database containing hundreds of style and image packages to customise your board, you can create a very unique forum in minutes.
There is quite a bit of technical jargon in the first sentance. Minutes is a big exaggeration I think. Quickly or another adjective would be more accurate. I would rewrite it something like this:
phpBB is a free bulletin board software package that can be used to stay in touch with a group of people or can power your entire website. With a database containing hundreds of user-created modifications and styles to customise your board, you can quickly create a very unique forum to suit your needs. Extensive free support is available through the thousands of phpBB community members.
The second paragraph is pretty good. I would move the "Learn more about phpBB" link into a separate line to make it more visible.
*Test board is generated automatically and is only available for an hour after it is created. Once this time limit is reached, the data is purged. Please note that the demo is linked to your IP address; you will not be able to share your test board with other individuals. Default username/password: administrator/administrator
This message is very ugly and should be removed. I think it would be better to link to a page explaining how the demo works and then link to the demo board.

*Added*

I didn't realize the "learn more about phpBB" simply linked to the About page. There isn't a lot of useful information there. I think it would be much better to redesign the Features Page and link there. There is no point in my opinion in having the features page comparing to phpBB2, which is not even available anymore. Redesign it so it explains exactly what phpBB3 can do, what it needs to run and examples on how it is used on some websites.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 am

There are some terrific suggestions here.

A personal thanks from me to all those who have contributed and please keep the ideas coming (we are all reading this topic).
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Also perhaps move http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/screenshots.php onto the Titania screenshots section.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:Also perhaps move http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/screenshots.php onto the Titania screenshots section.
Yah I agree that we should do that, I didn't thought of that when we moved the STK over to the CDB. Can you please post a ticket in the bug tracker so I don't forget to do that before the next release, we also might have to make new screen shots due to changes in the upcoming release.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:Also perhaps move http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/screenshots.php onto the Titania screenshots section.
Yah I agree that we should do that, I didn't thought of that when we moved the STK over to the CDB. Can you please post a ticket in the bug tracker so I don't forget to do that before the next release, we also might have to make new screen shots due to changes in the upcoming release.
Done. #62377

crabpaws

Post by crabpaws » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:02 am

As someone who is shopping for forum software, I'd like to see some screenshots of forum features.

Also, when I registered, I had the choice of only British English. Not that I wouldn't understand it, but I'm in California USA.

(Hmmmm, I saved this by mistake, it became a draft. Then I had to find it and figure out how to post it. I'm a usability designer, I'm seeing areas where my users will be confused.)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 am

crabpaws wrote:As someone who is shopping for forum software, I'd like to see some screenshots of forum features.
There is a live demo of phpBB3 available that is an excellent tool that allows one to evaluate the software-- what specific features do you believe need additional emphasis in the form of screenshots?
crabpaws wrote:Also, when I registered, I had the choice of only British English. Not that I wouldn't understand it, but I'm in California USA.
phpBB's default language pack (and the one used by this forum/the vast majority of installations) is indeed British English--this is primarily attributable to the fact that much of phpBB's leadership/development has been managed by Europeans. It is more or less the same as American English with a few key differences ("colour", "favourite", "customise", etc.).
crabpaws wrote:(Hmmmm, I saved this by mistake, it became a draft. Then I had to find it and figure out how to post it. I'm a usability designer, I'm seeing areas where my users will be confused.)
This feature can be disabled.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 am

That’s something I noticed before too, on wordpress you can see who’s using it and it gives potential users a great idea on how the software can look when modified and styled.
Link: http://wordpress.org/showcase/

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 am

Boardtalk.net wrote:That’s something I noticed before too, on wordpress you can see who’s using it and it gives potential users a great idea on how the software can look when modified and styled.
Link: http://wordpress.org/showcase/
This has been suggested a few times in the past, and we think it's a great idea as well. We currently have somthing like this in the works and you should be seeing it live pretty soon. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Return to “phpBB Discussion”