phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by MichaelC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm

crabpaws wrote:Also, when I registered, I had the choice of only British English. Not that I wouldn't understand it, but I'm in California USA.
On http://www.phpbb.com/languages/?from=submenu look down the list for English (United States) it has its own language pack that you can use. ;)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:27 pm

AdamR wrote:... We currently have somthing like this in the works and you should be seeing it live pretty soon. :)

- Adam
Great stuff, am looking forward to seeing it :D

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm

AdamR wrote:This has been suggested a few times in the past, and we think it's a great idea as well. We currently have somthing like this in the works and you should be seeing it live pretty soon. :)

- Adam
I'm curious as to how that'll play out. I could picture a collection of over 1,000,000 links all on a page to different phpBB forums xD
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net

crabpaws

Post by crabpaws » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Phil wrote:
crabpaws wrote:As someone who is shopping for forum software, I'd like to see some screenshots of forum features.
There is a live demo of phpBB3 available that is an excellent tool that allows one to evaluate the software-- what specific features do you believe need additional emphasis in the form of screenshots?
The advantage to screenshots is that they can be studied, maybe printed out and annotated. Also, live demos require an investment in bandwidth and time that, at my point in shopping, I don't care to make. (On some sites -- not saying that phpBB would be this sloppy -- the demo might crash my browser. As it is, I just had to close down an unresponsive script on this very page, while I was typing this response.)

What I wanted was a quick, lightweight view of the forum and User Control Panel so I could get a basic idea if it was in the ballpark (as we say in the US) for my purpose and users. A shot of the Admin Control Panel would also expedite evaluation by those us who are not utterly entranced by the guts of software and its documentation.

(What's with the hex codes for colors? 95% of my users will be mystified by that alone. Here's a place where fewer choices in plain language would be more usable -- they're not creating Web art, dang it.)

I don't know what other features deserve screenshots. At this point, I'm not that familiar with the software. If I adopt it, I will surely give my suggestions.

PS Not clear how phpBB could be used as a site platform as well as a bbs. (I want a blog with a bbs attached.) Please point me to an explanation.
Phil wrote:phpBB's default language pack (and the one used by this forum/the vast majority of installations) is indeed British English--this is primarily attributable to the fact that much of phpBB's leadership/development has been managed by Europeans.....
It's refreshing that it's not US-centric. Could you please also incorporate some British turns of phrase in the spellchecker? I find them very entertaining. And a British accent would be delightful.
crabpaws wrote:(Hmmmm, I saved this by mistake, it became a draft. Then I had to find it and figure out how to post it. I'm a usability designer, I'm seeing areas where my users will be confused.)
This feature can be disabled.[/quote]
I like it as a feature, but the interaction needs to be cleaned up. When I get time, I'll suggest something. I'm an information architect and usability designer.

Here's a possible bug: I set the post order *twice* in my User Control panel to most recent first (was it "descending"??) and it didn't stick.Also, down below, the scrolling of the earlier posts is hinky, it's probably too heavy for the browser. Expanded view works a lot better.

Which brings me to another question, as an admin, can I reword labels on buttons and choices in menus? Why not "most recent first" instead of "descending"??? Please, I want as few questions from my users as possible. They're just ordinary people, don't make them think!

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:21 pm

You'd probably be best to create a support topic if you need help with your forum.
PS Not clear how phpBB could be used as a site platform as well as a bbs. (I want a blog with a bbs attached.) Please point me to an explanation.
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/user_blog_mod
It's refreshing that it's not US-centric. Could you please also incorporate some British turns of phrase in the spellchecker? I find them very entertaining. And a British accent would be delightful.
Do you mean your browser spell checker? phpBB3 doesn't have a spell checker. I haven't noticed any mention of it in a feature map or anything either. If you've got someone who knows PHP that can help in implementing the feature, I'd give this a shot: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 3&start=15 Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck in that regard, I think.
Which brings me to another question, as an admin, can I reword labels on buttons and choices in menus? Why not "most recent first" instead of "descending"???
You can modify the language files in phpBB3/language/en/
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB

crabpaws

Post by crabpaws » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Re screenshots as an evaluation tool: See http://www.forum-software.org/bulletin- ... creenshots

Setting of "descending" on post order view is definitely not working, not in the User Control Panel or set locally for the topic.

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm

lol That site has a phpBB2 entry on the bottom of the page. And I haven't heard of half the software either. But I'll give you points for the idea. I think a virtual online tour of phpBB3 would be a huge help. It could talk very briefly about the simplicity on installing the forum, how there's a huge selection of styles and MODs, how easy it is to work with the Admin CP, etc. And it would have links pluggin to the customization database, documentation, knowledgebase, etc. Basically an all in one rookie recruitment. It would probably make for a great way to "sell" the software. (it's free, of course, but you get the point)

crabpaws

Post by crabpaws » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Daniel Exe wrote:lol...But I'll give you points for the idea... Basically an all in one rookie recruitment. It would probably make for a great way to "sell" the software...
LOL away, Daniel. I can't take any points for the idea. Screenshots are used to "sell" every software package I've ever seen in nearly 20 years of working in the software field.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 pm

crabpaws wrote:What I wanted was a quick, lightweight view of the forum and User Control Panel so I could get a basic idea if it was in the ballpark (as we say in the US) for my purpose and users. A shot of the Admin Control Panel would also expedite evaluation by those us who are not utterly entranced by the guts of software and its documentation.
I agree that having screenshots to supplement the online demo is a good idea for those who don't wish to use the demo for whatever reason but do want to see what the software looks like. However, the demo is the recommended tool for this type of thing because it allows you to look at all of the features to see how things work, what you can do, etc.
crabpaws wrote:(What's with the hex codes for colors? 95% of my users will be mystified by that alone. Here's a place where fewer choices in plain language would be more usable -- they're not creating Web art, dang it.)
You can use worlds like "black" (for what it's worth), "blue", "red", etc for basic colors in the [color] bbcode. The Hex codes are used for more specific color choices. And if you use the font color chooser on the posting screen, then you don't even have to know what a hex code is. This is text that is colored using .

crabpaws wrote:PS Not clear how phpBB could be used as a site platform as well as a bbs. (I want a blog with a bbs attached.) Please point me to an explanation.

There are tutorials in the Wiki , the Blog, and the Knowledge Base, as well as topics in the MOD Writers Discussion forum to help you with integrating your website with phpBB. You are also welcome to ask any questions you have on that topic in the MOD Writers Discussion forum.

crabpaws wrote:It's refreshing that it's not US-centric. Could you please also incorporate some British turns of phrase in the spellchecker? I find them very entertaining. And a British accent would be delightful.

There is no phpBB spell-checker, at least not in the default software (there may be a MOD of some sort for that, but I'm not aware of any). However, your browser does have a spell check feature, which you may be mistaking for part of the phpBB software.

crabpaws wrote:Here's a possible bug: I set the post order *twice* in my User Control panel to most recent first (was it "descending"??) and it didn't stick.Also, down below, the scrolling of the earlier posts is hinky, it's probably too heavy for the browser. Expanded view works a lot better.
What browser and OS are you using? Older browsers and older operating systems might have a harder time working with some features, but using the latest development version of Chrome on a Windows 7 machine (nearly 3 years old) has had no issues in this regard for me.

EDIT: Please report bugs in the appropriate Bug Tracker, and/or seek support in the Support Forum.
crabpaws wrote:Which brings me to another question, as an admin, can I reword labels on buttons and choices in menus? Why not "most recent first" instead of "descending"??? Please, I want as few questions from my users as possible. They're just ordinary people, don't make them think!
ALL language text you see on the screen in the phpBB software is defined in separate language files, found in the language/en/ directory (replace en with the language pack you are using, en is default.) This way, the same text can be used in multiple places but only has to be changed in one place and will take affect everywhere. The only downfall of this method is trying to find the right one to change, since it is all separated into different files. But if you take a little time you can do a find command in your text editor to find the text you want to change. What I'd like to see eventually, though, is the language system put into the ACP so that admins can easily change it themselves.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

crabpaws

Post by crabpaws » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

imkingdavid wrote:
crabpaws wrote:What I wanted was a quick, lightweight view of the forum and User Control Panel so I could get a basic idea if it was in the ballpark (as we say in the US) for my purpose and users. A shot of the Admin Control Panel would also expedite evaluation by those us who are not utterly entranced by the guts of software and its documentation.
I agree that having screenshots to supplement the online demo is a good idea for those who don't wish to use the demo for whatever reason but do want to see what the software looks like. However, the demo is the recommended tool for this type of thing because it allows you to look at all of the features to see how things work, what you can do, etc.
Thank you for your recommendation. You may prefer the online demo. What I wanted to see is screenshots before I spend any more time with phpBB. Another site (run on Drupal, btw) supplied them.
crabpaws wrote:It's refreshing that it's not US-centric. Could you please also incorporate some British turns of phrase in the spellchecker? I find them very entertaining. And a British accent would be delightful.
I apologize for my attempt at levity.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:11 am

Daniel Exe wrote:
AdamR wrote:This has been suggested a few times in the past, and we think it's a great idea as well. We currently have somthing like this in the works and you should be seeing it live pretty soon. :)

- Adam
I'm curious as to how that'll play out. I could picture a collection of over 1,000,000 links all on a page to different phpBB forums xD
Users will be able to submit suggestions for the showcase and they will be added on a case-by-case basis at our discretion. We also may add sites we know of to the showcase. We're certainly not trying to catalog phpBB forums. What we are trying to do, however, is showcase two major areas: 1) Significant or large users of phpBB (large companies, boards with a ton of posts, etc) and 2) creative uses that demo what you can actually do with phpBB on your site (tightly integrated styles, website integration, awesome custom themes, etc).

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:44 am

Sounds like motivation for users to personalize their forums and website. And I'm sure we'll see a whole variety of sites make the list too. It'll be nice to have a central location to see what people are doing with the software.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:01 am

crabpaws wrote:The advantage to screenshots is that they can be studied, maybe printed out and annotated.
You can't print the pages in the live demo that you're interested in studying later from your browser and then annotate them?
crabpaws wrote:Also, live demos require an investment in bandwidth and time that, at my point in shopping, I don't care to make.
So you'd rather spend time and bandwidth clicking on screen shots and having them download rather than see the real pages and how you interact with them? Seeing the interaction is a big plus for the online demo. And are you sure that screenshots would actually save time and bandwidth? (I'm a bit confused by the bandwidth argument anyway. Unless you're on a mobile device, don't you have an unlimited bandwidth plan like most broadband users in the U.S.?)

Screenshots make sense for software that you have to download to your PC and install. They make a lot less sense for online software. For example, why would screenshots of the ACP or UCP be better than seeing the actual live versions?

There are probably two main advantages:
  1. You can see a real-world board, not a freshly-installed one.

To mitigate that, maybe the live demo could include a pre-populated database with fake members, forums and posts.
  2. It could take a little less time to find what you want to look at look at. Depending on the feature in question, scanning captions for an appropriate screenshot could be faster than figuring out how to navigate to that feature.

However, there's something to be said for seeing how things flow in the user interface that an IA/UI Designer should know that better than most people. You might not have found your issue with drafts if you hadn't used them.

Also, unless somebody was very thorough, there might not be screen shots of every page. That can make things easier to find, but if what you want to see wasn't captured, screenshots are useless. Of course, the more features that get captured, the longer it will take to find the items that you're interested in (in a traditional gallery; if there's a search engine that allows you find the screen shots, that may be mitigated).
I'm not saying that screenshots are useless, of course. I would just prefer the phpBB team to spend time improving the software (and maybe the demo) rather than spend time making screenshots.

And, as you seem to have found screenshots at another site, I guess it's a moot point. :)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

z3olyte

Post by z3olyte » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 am

Well its my first time here in this site after years of existence... its actually easy to navigate and find where the forums or the released mods are.

Maybe some mods need to have something like a live preview demo on a phpbb3 board other than screenshots to see how they actually work, but I guess not necessary for mods that are self-explanatory.

Jeroen B
Name: Jeroen

Post by Jeroen B » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:55 am

I think there's something wrong with one of the advertisement banners at the bottom of the site:

Jeroen • My modifications

Return to “phpBB Discussion”