phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by AdamR » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am

For particular issues like that, go ahead and report it to the Website Tracker. :)

EDIT: Never mind! That particular issue has now been fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

dagobert50gold

Post by dagobert50gold » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Good afternoon!

I think that it´s very simple to find all the MODs and styles I want to install.

I´m a user of phpBB.de, too. There are often questions how:

"Where can I find MOD xyz?"

Most of that MODs I found on phpBB.com!

genjokoan
Name: Jan

Post by genjokoan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 am

I am brand new here. I have not had any problems sorting through the site. I am evaluating several different packages and the content here has pretty much won me over to use phpBB for my project. If I were king, I could suggest a few changes though.

The big, really big popping up, drop down menus would die a terrible, swift death. Hates 'em, I do. Just take me to a page that shows me options, please.

On the forum, there are topics years and years old. I am geek enough, but your average user I think is very put off by looking at a topic that started years ago and has dozens and dozens of pages.

People look at the site, and the forum, and then wonder why their fresh install looks different. An "about this site" link somewhere prominent that gives particulars about the site design, the style and mods applied to the forum, etc., would be nice to see.

Everyone needs to make a few pennies where they can, but adds all over is truly distracting and makes for an unprofessional look and feel.

*edit: One more observation about look and feel - lose the image tags in signatures. Please. People come here for content.

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm

http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/ isn't very well advertised. I only know about it because of an off-site link and it was mentioned once or twice in #phpbb-coding.

Perhaps a link to it under the development section of the website?
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/ isn't very well advertised. I only know about it because of an off-site link and it was mentioned once or twice in #phpbb-coding.

WOAH! I didn't know about that :D

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:05 am

Callum95 wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/ isn't very well advertised. I only know about it because of an off-site link and it was mentioned once or twice in #phpbb-coding.

WOAH! I didn't know about that :D

~Callum
:lol: gosh, I didn't know about it either... :shock:

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:12 am

There used to be a link to that page on the landing page, though that got lost somewhere down the road. That said the documentation there is very outdated (<!-- Generated by phpDocumentor on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:33:54 +0200 -->). Which is really a shame as its a really good reference for MOD authors/contributors.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

onelazyguy

Post by onelazyguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi all,

I am a phpBB 2 and phpBB 3 user and what I found difficult and time consuming is in the " MODs in Development" section. This section can somehow be improved.

Problem:
For a particular MOD, user has to read all of the pages starting from page 1 to the last page to see if there is a solution to what the user is looking for.

Example:
This MOD: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1115275
I want to find a way to incorporate the hide bbcode to work with the thanks button, I have to read to page 8 for a possible solution.
This MOD has a total of 45 pages of support at the moment and it would take a bit of time for a user to read all 45 pages and see if any of the above posts can answer the question what the user is looking for.

Solution:
I suggest the MOD author add discussion links of important posts made by members onto first post where the author post his/her MOD so users can see what has been discussed in regard to that particular MOD. From the first post, users can take a quick look to see if any of the discussions links can help resolve his/her problem. If not, users can start a new post. This will save time for the users and might also prevent duplicated post.

example:
-MOD name
-Description of MOD
-Demo or screenshots

User discussion links
-discussion links 1
-discussion links 2
-discussion links 3
-discussion links etc.

I do understand that users who contribute their MODs do it on his/her spare time and all questions related to the MOD might not be answered so this is just a suggestion and please don't view this suggestion in a negative way. If this has already been implemented, then please ignore my suggestion.

Thanks All!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm

First of all the MODs in the MODs in Development forum are not supposed to be used in a "live" environment (even though most users probably do that anyways). Second of all you can easily use the "Search this topic" feature at the top of the topic. That surely resolves finding your issue in any specific topic. Making separate topics for a MOD that is in development does not fit in with the purpose of that forum either as it is not meant to be for MOD support. It is meant for community testing and development of MODs. A lot of what you have described is possible for released MODs but will not be possible for MODs that have not been approved.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

I know some people here don't really like JIRA, but what doesn't make sense is the fact only some projects moved to JIRA but not all, meaning now they are in different trackers. Surely it would make sense to move the other trackers to JIRA and keep them all in one place, especially when you consider that the current tracker is quite buggy and has alot less features than JIRA.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:I know some people here don't really like JIRA, but what doesn't make sense is the fact only some projects moved to JIRA but not all, meaning now they are in different trackers. Surely it would make sense to move the other trackers to JIRA and keep them all in one place, especially when you consider that the current tracker is quite buggy and has alot less features than JIRA.
Could you be more specific as to what's "quite buggy" with the current tracker? :)

Either way, I agree that it needs to be made less confusing for the user. Either there needs to be only one tracker, or a clear distinction between the two trackers needs to be made on the website, with proper links to each.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 pm

From the point of view as a new user I think there are a few things that are top priority

As a new end-user I would want to:
  1. Download phpBB
  2. Download popular contributions (styles, modifications, converters, bridges etc)
  3. Get Support
Although some people would want to see a demo.

Yet, on the homepage the following stands out:
What is phpBB
Get Started with phpBB
Enhance phpBB
Contribute to phpBB
phpBB Mascot
THE #1 FREE, OPEN SOURCE BULLETIN BOARD SOFTWARE
Download 3.0.8 2010-11-20
Sponsors
The Navigation bar.
A paragraph about phpBB.
Quick Install Release and Searching for JSV's and Helping with Hooks etc.
Ads.

That is in order. Normally a person jumps to the content (which is why I listed the download around the middle of the list).

Being more user friendly it would be something like:
What is phpBB
Try phpBB
Download phpBB (Latest Version: 3.0.8)
Customise & Enhance phpBB
Get support with phpBB
Navigation Bar
Sponsors (Web Hosting Sponsors would be better on this page)
THE #1 FREE, OPEN SOURCE BULLETIN BOARD SOFTWARE
Paragraph about phpBB

For example removing the contribute to phpbb bit and mascot is because someone wanted to contribute they would want to look around the site fully. Have a look at everything so this being one of the core 4 things on the homepage is slightly odd. And Mascots are more likely to be bought by a user that browses around the site often and really likes phpBB.

Also a donate page on the website would be nice for some people as quite often some people would like to donate.

Also the support section needs some work. If I just need to ask a simple support question takes a while. It would be useful to have a direct link to the phpBB Support Forum rather than a page with a list of forums to make it easier and quicker for the end-user. Also there could be a few more Flash Tutorials for phpBB as they are quite limited at the moment.

vortexhlp

Post by vortexhlp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:10 pm

I agree that the wiki isn't well-advertised and one of the things that I had a lot of trouble getting around was the navigation system. I don't know if drop-downs work too well for phpBB but it's very confusing. I think if the menu system could be re-organized ie:

What is phpBB?
- Getting an understanding of phpBB
- Features
- Plugins / Mod System
- History behind phpBB
- The Team
- Advertise on phpBB

Downloads
- Latest Version
- Upgrade Packages
- Language Packs
- Modifications
- Styles

Add-ons
- Modification Database
- Styles (Themes) Database
- Styles Demo

Development
- Beginner's Guide to phpBB Mods
- Development Wiki
- Knowledge Base
- Flash Tutorials
- Styling Tutorials
- Bug Tracker
- Security Tracker
- Area 51

Community
- Community Forums
- Support Forums
- Modification Forums
- phpBB Blog
- News and Events
- IRC Support

Support
- Documentation
- Support Forums
- Knowledgebase
- phpBB Wiki
- International Support
- IRC Support

Hosting
Search

Christy
Name: Christy

Post by Christy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 am

I love the Christmas images in the header!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:38 am

Christy wrote:I love the Christmas images in the header!
They're by VladStudio and are free to use as long as you give him credit (in accordance with his terms. ;)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”