phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
5hocK

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by 5hocK » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:05 am

DavidIQ wrote:I guess it's different being involved there because the numbers speak differently.

Them:
947,185 posts
101,703 users
336 online users (at the time of writing this post)

Us:
4,036,814 posts
463,121 users
1265 online users (at the time of writing this post)
It's hard to compare the figures, forumotion forum started in 2010 I believe, whereas the phpBB board started in 2001
Online users can't be compared either as forumotion doesn't give a based on users active over the past XX minutes time.

What is comparable is phpBB board with itself: Note the time frame for Online users in 2014 was 30 minutes and now it's 90 minutes.
compare2014to2015.png
Screenshots taken using Wayback Machine
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:41 am

5hocK wrote:It's hard to compare the figures, forumotion forum started in 2010 I believe, whereas the phpBB board started in 2001
Online users can't be compared either as forumotion doesn't give a based on users active over the past XX minutes time.
That's true.
5hocK wrote:What is comparable is phpBB board with itself: Note the time frame for Online users in 2014 was 30 minutes and now it's 90 minutes.
compare2014to2015.png
Screenshots taken using Wayback Machine
So a setting was changed. I don't see how that's relevant at all. Obviously the WBM site is static so there's nothing one can really get out of those numbers.

Ok how about this: someone over on their site stated they would reach the million posts mark by around the end of next year or beginning the year after that, so basically that's about how long it would take them to get an additional 52k posts. According to the averages in our ACP we get around 750 posts per day, which means we would reach that 52k mark within the next 70-90 days, far sooner than they would. Of course these are speculative numbers so maybe it'll be different in practice. Both sites basically cater to different audiences though so really none of this really matters, but you know...math :geek:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

hrx

Post by hrx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 am

DavidIQ wrote: Well even if it is the case that there is a bit of a loss in photo quality this isn't a photo hosting site nor a site where people come to showcase their pictures. The pictures posted here are mostly for support and those pictures have always provided more than enough useful information to the Support Team and other teams and users to be able to assist the users. That the pictures might be a few dpi lower coming from our camo server doesn't change that. Anyone can clearly see what you're trying to show in your example screenshots even if they are posted using the img tag instead of being attached.

Just for completeness I viewed and downloaded both of these images:

Code: Select all

http://s1.postimg.org/v67n0q273/forum_prune.jpg

https://camo.phpbb.com/845dc5e080bdbbacc29015d5310fe5edf5760a37/687474703a2f2f73312e706f7374696d672e6f72672f7636376e30713237332f666f72756d5f7072756e652e6a7067
They both look identical when viewed in Edge and when I downloaded them and checked their details they both have the same dimensions and resolution, in other words they're identical. So basically it doesn't look like we're doing anything at all to the images on the camo server. So if anything this might be an issue with your browser, ISP, or machine? *shrug*
I understand what you wrote, I said that set picture into outside hosting and added on yours forum has a low quality. It surprised me because the same picture after set on my forum has an original quality. So I’m asking what causes downgrade quality of displaying picture on yours forum from outside hosting? Why it happening in this way? If I will add this picture as a attachment on yours forum then after click in thumbnail picture will open in good quality.

Yes, these pictures are identical, but if I’ll set them between the tag [img] then automatically will be shown picture in low quality.

You must have to some settings anything which causes, that after adding link into tag [img] picture is displaying in low quality. How can it be a fault of the browser? I have IE11 and the newest Opera and what you think that Opera sucks? It can’t be a problem from any browser, as I wrote when I add this same picture on my forum which working on phpBB 3.1.6 everything is all right.

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Is there any chance the phpBB website team responsible for this forum would consider installing the Collapsible Forum Categories extension?

Since many forums are now running phpBB 3.1, I'm guessing members might find little use for the phpBB 3.0.x category and being able collapsing that whole structure would be helpful and would improve the user experience here.

Added: [WEBSITE-1258] Add Collapsible Forum Categories extension - phpBB Tracker
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Ardral

Post by Ardral » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:42 pm

P_I wrote:Is there any chance the phpBB website team responsible for this forum would consider installing the Collapsible Forum Categories extension?

Since many forums are now running phpBB 3.1, I'm guessing members might find little use for the phpBB 3.0.x category and being able collapsing that whole structure would be helpful and would improve the user experience here.

Added: [WEBSITE-1258] Add Collapsible Forum Categories extension - phpBB Tracker
I'm interested in this also.
Last edited by darcie on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary links removed

rautamiekka

Post by rautamiekka » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:45 pm

RSS feed is malformatted, it doesn't work with Blogtrottr.com for reasons given by W3C feed validator: http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi? ... s%2Frss%2F

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 am

The phpBB 3.1 demo site is running phpBB 3.1.5. Perhaps someone could update it to the current version (3.1.7-PL1) so newcomers trying out the software are not immediately confronted with ACP telling them the software is out of date.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

mamba

Post by mamba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 am

My feedback on the forum is this: why the f$#@$##$ hell has someone gone and changed my avatar, the one I used for the last 13 years? I logged on this afternoon, used my account to post a few questions, then came back to find my avatar had been deleted! WTF?

The avatar was a snake's head, a mamba. I collect these reptiles. I put a pig's head up to show what I feel about the mod who removed my original avatar
Using 3.2, PHP version 7, MySQL 5.5, Host: hostgator shared Linux, Style: Prosilver

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:27 pm

mamba wrote:My feedback on the forum is this: why the f$#@$##$ hell has someone gone and changed my avatar, the one I used for the last 13 years? I logged on this afternoon, used my account to post a few questions, then came back to find my avatar had been deleted! WTF?

The avatar was a snake's head, a mamba. I collect these reptiles. I put a pig's head up to show what I feel about the mod who removed my original avatar
Your usernotes section doesn't show anyone changing your avatar. Are you sure it was still there when you posted. Possibly it was cached in your browser. It may of been a casualty of the problems we had late last year. Please feel free to re-add it.

bonelifer (William),
Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

mamba

Post by mamba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:56 pm

bonelifer wrote:Your usernotes section doesn't show anyone changing your avatar.[/color]
Check the moderator logs. It was there yesterday, and gone later in the day. Must be a rogue mod.
Using 3.2, PHP version 7, MySQL 5.5, Host: hostgator shared Linux, Style: Prosilver

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 am

mamba wrote:
bonelifer wrote:Your usernotes section doesn't show anyone changing your avatar.[/color]
Check the moderator logs. It was there yesterday, and gone later in the day. Must be a rogue mod.
User changes are not logged as far as I can tell. Not sure why anybody would want to or even bother to change your avatar, which can only be done from the ACP and which we log all access that is initiated to it. What I CAN tell you is that not a single person with access entered the ACP between the post you made before you reported the change and that post. Furthermore there was no ACP entry from 10 hours prior to that. So whatever happened to your avatar was not user initiated and there is no rogue moderator in our midst.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

rautamiekka

Post by rautamiekka » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:46 am

DavidIQ wrote:
mamba wrote:
User changes are not logged as far as I can tell. Not sure why anybody would want to or even bother to change your avatar, which can only be done from the ACP and which we log all access that is initiated to it. What I CAN tell you is that not a single person with access entered the ACP between the post you made before you reported the change and that post. Furthermore there was no ACP entry from 10 hours prior to that. So whatever happened to your avatar was not user initiated and there is no rogue moderator in our midst.
A hacker attack just to do that would be absolutely pointless, which would be done only to cover something. I doubt an attack was the case, though if everything else, like email, is working without any spam sent.

mamba

Post by mamba » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:31 am

Well, it sure as hell was not me.

Must be the gremlins. :roll: Have you guys had another password hack here?

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:51 am

mamba wrote:Well, it sure as hell was not me.

Must be the gremlins. :roll: Have you guys had another password hack here?
No. And as David pointed out, even if a staff member's password was compromised, they'd still have to log in and nobody has. I've also run out usual cleanup and consistency checking tools and find nothing out of the ordinary.

I night recommend you change your password as that is the only way I can suggest they might have done so.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

mamba

Post by mamba » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:00 am

MichaelC wrote:recommend you change your password as that is the only way I can suggest
Done as soon as it happened. But note that the old one was a non-word and had numbers too (very hard to guess), and I use it nowhere else, and nobody has access to my computer, sooo...... real mystery.

I'm thinking maybe someone mistakenly deleted the avatar in the directory where users upload their image files.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”