phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by Paul »

Will look into it tomorrow.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
P_I

Post by P_I »

Paul wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:38 pm
P_I wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm
It might just be me but since the server maintenance today the board seems a touch quicker. A PHP version upgrade perhaps?
Yep, we upgraded from php5 to php7 (And a new VM, thats why it took a bit of time)
The phpBB logo has also changed, does that indicate the board software was also updated to phpBB 3.3.x?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

P_I wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:57 pm
The phpBB logo has also changed, does that indicate the board software was also updated to phpBB 3.3.x?
style_version = 3.2.9
phpbb_version = 3.2.9
but that doesn't necessarily imply that the board version is 3.2.9

area51
style_version = 4.0.0-a1-dev
phpbb_version = 4.0.0-a1-dev
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Paul

Post by Paul »

P_I wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:57 pm
Paul wrote:
P_I wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm
It might just be me but since the server maintenance today the board seems a touch quicker. A PHP version upgrade perhaps?
Yep, we upgraded from php5 to php7 (And a new VM, thats why it took a bit of time)
That has been changed already since the 3.3 release :). We are still running 3.2, but we will upgrade to 3.3 soon. Just needed to get this part done first.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Paul wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:04 pm
We are still running 3.2, but we will upgrade to 3.3 soon. Just needed to get this part done first.
Reading this as: letting the world test 3.3 first :lol:
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Paul wrote:
Yep, we upgraded from php5 to php7
warmweer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:08 pm
Paul wrote:
We are still running 3.2, but we will upgrade to 3.3 soon. Just needed to get this part done first.
I understood it differently. phpBB 3.3 wouldn't run on PHP 5.x. Now that server is running PHP 7.x, phpBB 3.3 is possible and that's when I also noticed the logo change, hence the question.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Paul

Post by Paul »

warmweer wrote:
Paul wrote:
Nha, in an ideal world we would have upgraded www.phpbb.com first (Which we have done in the past :)), but the proces of moving over took lots longer as expected. I think we have been working on it for over 1.5 year on actually moving it (Starting from preperation till getting everything actually working :)).
P_I wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 pm
Paul wrote:
Yep, we upgraded from php5 to php7
warmweer wrote:
Paul wrote:
I understood it differently. phpBB 3.3 wouldn't run on PHP 5.x. Now that server is running PHP 7.x, phpBB 3.3 is possible and that's when I also noticed the logo change, hence the question.
We didn't want to do multiple updates at the same moment, so thats why we waited with the 3.3 upgrade :).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

P_I

Post by P_I »

P_I wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:03 pm
Would the powers that be consider installing the phpBB • Individual posts per page extension on phpbb.com? There are many topics, such as this one, that stretch on for many pages at the current limit of 15 posts/page. For users on faster internet connections, I cannot see a reason they wouldn't benefit from showing more posts/page.
On another 'hot topic' ;) there was mention of the topic with the most number of pages which triggered me to remember this request.

Is this the proper place to request the addition/change or should a feature request be opened in the tracker?
Paul

Post by Paul »

This or the website tracker would be the proper place. But in general we prefer not to install extensions on www.phpbb.com to keep it as close to phpBB itself as possible. In this specific case we probarbly won't install it as it hasn't been updated in a while.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

P_I wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:19 pm
P_I wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:03 pm
There are many topics, such as this one, that stretch on for many pages at the current limit of 15 posts/page. For users on faster internet connections, I cannot see a reason they wouldn't benefit from showing more posts/page.
On another 'hot topic' ;) there was mention of the topic with the most number of pages which triggered me to remember this request.
Yeah 1475 pages. I'm not sure I want to have that loaded on 1 page with 22125+ posts :P (makes it kind of difficult to remember exactly where you were when having log out ;) )
Random American

Post by Random American »

I do like the new logo.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You should make an extension request.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

kaiwen wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 am
Is it possible to have a cache for the draft reply before submit?
Sometimes I just accidentally hit the close button, and I had to enter whatever I wrote just now again...
In many cases the browser's Back button can recover your draft.
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:42 am
kaiwen wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 am
Is it possible to have a cache for the draft reply before submit?
Sometimes I just accidentally hit the close button, and I had to enter whatever I wrote just now again...
In many cases the browser's Back button can recover your draft.
Yup, and many browsers have a "Closed tabs" or "Closed windows" feature as well which will (try to) recover what you already wrote.

We won't be implementing anything custom like that on the phpBB.com website, which this topic is for, as we try to keep this as close to the core phpBB product as we can while still serving our needs. Feel free to make a feature or extension request though in the other areas.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Random American

Post by Random American »

I don't know if this is a big problem, but I do notice that some Newly Registered Users fill out their profiles with commercial information that has nothing to do with phpbb, nor do their sites have phpbb forums or anything phpbb related. It seems to me like some are trying to turn their profiles on this site into advertisements without having to post anything.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”