The Meaning of Open Source

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
WizardForum

The Meaning of Open Source

Post by WizardForum »

I am a bit hazy in this area so I am asking you guys!

According to the GNU GPL v3 License, are you able to take a PHP script and rename it as your own, as long as you do not alter the copyrights located in the source code? Are there any other requirements/restrictions besides not editing the copyrights in the source code?

This question has nothing to do with rebranding phpBB. I am posting this message here because phpBB is by far the most popular, open source forum software and many people here are familiar with open source licenses.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: The Meaning of Open Source

Post by AdamR »

Note that technically, phpBB is released under v2 of the GPL.

The original copyrights must be left intact and if you make available the source code (though this is not a requirement), you must also release it under the same GPLv2 (or forward-compatible, such as GPLv3) license. Other restrictions are in place for "gray" areas such as using open source code alongside of proprietary code, but that's the general gist of it.

It's long, but the best way to get a grasp of it is to read the license. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

WizardForum

Post by WizardForum »

Thanks for the response Adam. I am referring to the version 3 license (I know that phpBB is released under the version 2 license). I have read the license and believe that I am clear on it. Obviously I can't remove the copyright because, of course, the script wasn't coded by me. I am just interested in editing the front and back end of an open source CMS software for a client who wants more of a white label solution.

Although phpBB isn't released under exactly the same license, I was hoping that some of you here would have some knowledge of the 3rd version ;)

Anyways, I do thank you for the response Adam.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

A good comparison of the v2 and v3 licences can be found here. (pdf) The appendix has a direct comparison table.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

AdamR wrote:[...] you must also release it under the same GPLv2 (or forward-compatible, such as GPLv3) license.
Assuming the GPLv2 licensed code is licensed with the "or any later version" provision, which phpBB is not.
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “phpBB Discussion”