[EVENT] [SAT 29th JAN 2011 MANCHESTER, NORTH ENGLAND] phpBB Meetup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: [SAT 29th JAN 2011 MANCHESTER, NORTH ENGLAND] phpBB Meet

Post by Paul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 am

It probarly will depends for me on how fast the customs are. I dont have any luggage with me, so just can go directly from the airport once iam through customs. And from the airport to the city is not that far at all
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

samengland
Name: Sam England

Post by samengland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm

It will be really good to see everyone there - thanks for registering Paul. Security coming in to Manchester is usually reasonably fast and as you say train services from Manchester Airport - Picadilly are fast, frequent and reliable. There are several every few minutes and the journey takes 10-15 minutes. (You can the
times on NationalRail.co.uk if you wish).

It looks like everyone will arrive in excellent time and I will be there in the morning too. Now there are a significant number of attendees registered on Eventbrite I can confirm that the meeting place around 12pm will be at the Starbucks Coffee Shop within Manchester Picadilly Station - this is probably the best rendezvous point and it is easy to identify and locate from anywhere in the station itself. :) The events of the day and subsequent venues will be confirmed very shortly.
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm unfortunately not going to make it, turns out that I've got an other *must attend* meeting on the same day :(.
So many days in a year and time after time, stuff gets planned on the same day :?
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

samengland

Post by samengland » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Erik, sorry to hear you won't be able to attend. Unfortunately some people have already booked flights to attend, otherwise I'd certainly look in to changing the date. Hopefully we can organise a future event at a time when you're free!

I've made some updates to the first post - please read it as some significant changes have been made :)
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

So I've been looking at trains to get myself down to Manchester and by the looks of it I'm not going to be able to make it :( Only ones I can get will get me in late and mean I have to leave ridiculously early. I can't even lay over at Carlisle on the way back - would have stayed with my g/f if I could.

If anything changes, I'll let you know, but for now my name has to come off the list. Hope you all have fun.
Pics or it didn't happen :P
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || BandCamp || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

samengland

Post by samengland » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm

cherokee red wrote:So I've been looking at trains to get myself down to Manchester and by the looks of it I'm not going to be able to make it :( Only ones I can get will get me in late and mean I have to leave ridiculously early. I can't even lay over at Carlisle on the way back - would have stayed with my g/f if I could.

If anything changes, I'll let you know, but for now my name has to come off the list. Hope you all have fun.
Pics or it didn't happen :P
No worries - I understand! I was considering holding the event in Carlisle but this would mean those coming from the south would have the same issues, and it wouldn't be wry good for those flying in as Carlisle Airport has no scheduled flights to it ;) The next event could always be in Carlisle next time, it's easily accessible from Scotland - or Newcastle for that matter... Or maybe even Glasgow and Edinburgh :-) What station are you travelling from, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do the journey via the west coast, or east? Transpennine run from Edinburgh - Mancheste direct :-)

I'm sure people will bring cameras along too!

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Looking forward to this. I'll be in London with some of the other Management Team members during the week and we intend to take a train up to Manchester on Saturday to join you guys :)
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

samengland

Post by samengland » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:28 pm

naderman wrote:Looking forward to this. I'll be in London with some of the other Management Team members during the week and we intend to take a train up to Manchester on Saturday to join you guys :)
Sounds great :) If you're intending to come, if you could register at Eventbrite for free (http://phpbbnorth.eventbrite.com/) that would mean I can keep track of how many are attending - I'm currently making final plans and need an approximate number in order to make bookings :)

Looking forward to seeing you there!

samengland

Post by samengland » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Updated the first post with information about the possible day time activity - who wants to have a 20 minute at Laser Quest Trafford Centre?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:46 am

And it looks like I'll be joining you guys :)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 am

Just booked train and hotel. :D
Chris SmithBlogGitHub
In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave. On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale.

samengland

Post by samengland » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

I've managed to negotiate with a manager at Pizza Express in Picadilly Gardens, Manchester and I've got everyone (all attendees) booked in to there at 12.30pm - It's literally 2 minutes walk from Picadilly Station so that should be great - and the best thing - there is no deposit to be paid by anyone.

Please remember to register at http://phpbbnorth.eventbrite.com/ so I can keep track of how many attendees there are and keep Pizza Express updated over the next few days.

stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 pm

samengland wrote: No worries - I understand! I was considering holding the event in Carlisle but this would mean those coming from the south would have the same issues, and it wouldn't be wry good for those flying in as Carlisle Airport has no scheduled flights to it ;) The next event could always be in Carlisle next time, it's easily accessible from Scotland - or Newcastle for that matter... Or maybe even Glasgow and Edinburgh :-) What station are you travelling from, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do the journey via the west coast, or east? Transpennine run from Edinburgh - Mancheste direct :-)

Heh, it's ok I totally understand the location being where it is. At the moment, it's easier for me to get to Glasgow and travel from Central Station down. If I had an easy way of getting to edinburgh, that might be an option. Supposed to have a link open, but my station still isn't open yet =\

samengland

Post by samengland » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 am

cherokee red wrote:
samengland wrote: No worries - I understand! I was considering holding the event in Carlisle but this would mean those coming from the south would have the same issues, and it wouldn't be wry good for those flying in as Carlisle Airport has no scheduled flights to it ;) The next event could always be in Carlisle next time, it's easily accessible from Scotland - or Newcastle for that matter... Or maybe even Glasgow and Edinburgh :-) What station are you travelling from, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do the journey via the west coast, or east? Transpennine run from Edinburgh - Manchester direct :-)

Heh, it's OK I totally understand the location being where it is. At the moment, it's easier for me to get to Glasgow and travel from Central Station down. If I had an easy way of getting to Edinburgh, that might be an option. Supposed to have a link open, but my station still isn't open yet =\
I've looked in to the train times for you.

There is a way of you getting all the way from Airdrie to Manchester before 12.

National rail says that if you departed Airdrie at 06:42 you can be in Manchester Piccadilly for 11.18. The issue here is that it says you need 30 minutes to walk from Glasgow Queen St to Glasgow Central - I'd say it takes about 10 tops - 5 if you speed walk which is why it's making the journey unnecessarily long.

I've worked out a journey for you - you could get the 07:12 (not quite as early!) from Airdrie which gets you in to Queen St for 07:37.

You could then easily catch that 08:00 from Glasgow Central to Preston (10.15) changing there on to the 10:23 Preston to Manchester Piccadilly where you arrive at 11:18.

Your other option would be to maybe travel down the Friday night to Carlisle? Then just do a day trip to Manchester from Carlisle - The 08:31 from Carlisle gets you in to Manchester at 10.30 with no changes at all, and that 11.18 arrival in to Manchester departs Carlisle 09:09.

I hope that this helps you consider whether you're able to make it - sometimes National Rail can throw out some strange journey times particularly when it allows ridiculously long connection times (walking distances) :D

stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 am

Sam, thanks for going to all that trouble looking up information.I'm afraid to say that it's been in vain - I've just been informed that I have an exam on that day - yep, I have an exam on a Saturday =\ Due to weather being really bad up here over xmas, I couldn't make my exams. They re-scheduled them over the next 2 weeks. I've got one on Sunday and the 2nd one next Saturday, so I'm definitely out :(

Return to “phpBB Discussion”