[EVENT] [SAT 29th JAN 2011 MANCHESTER, NORTH ENGLAND] phpBB Meetup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Re: [NORTH OF ENGLAND] phpBB Meetup?

Post by ToonArmy »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:Merely replying here so that this topic will show up in my "egosearch" ;). I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK in January, visiting a friend in Lancaster. If this happens to fall together I'm certainly interested in joining here (Lancaster - Manchester is pretty drivable). Although this is just some vague future planning.
It's an hours drive, or less ;) Train won't be too bad either.
Chris SmithGitHub
KeithR
Former Team Member
Name: Keith R

Post by KeithR »

MarkTheDaemon wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:How about a pub? ;)
Sounds like my kind of meeting place ;) 8-) .

Mark
Is there any other kind? :P

To be truthful I have one of those annoying jobs that includes working weekends, so I can't guarantee being there for the full day. However with enough notice I shall try to get the full day. Failing that I do work in Manchester, It takes me 3 minutes to walk from Piccadilly train station to work, so I should be able to at least show my face. :)
samengland
Name: Sam England

Post by samengland »

cherokee red wrote:Carlisle! I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone that way. Visit the g/f and meet up for a pint :lol:
Carlisle would be great for me too, but probably too far afield for most. Manchester isn't really that far on the train from Carlisle though. You're over half way there... ish ;) Manchester is also very central and accessible to the whole of the North, and also the rest of the UK and Europe for that matter!

Erik Frèrejean wrote:Merely replying here so that this topic will show up in my "egosearch" ;). I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK in January, visiting a friend in Lancaster. If this happens to fall together I'm certainly interested in joining here (Lancaster - Manchester is pretty drivable). Although this is just some vague future planning.
Lancaster - Manchester is certainly drivable but there are also many direct trains which will get you in to the city centre (Picadilly) quickly and easily- it would probably be cheaper than petrol/parking too.
KeithR wrote: To be truthful I have one of those annoying jobs that includes working weekends, so I can't guarantee being there for the full day. However with enough notice I shall try to get the full day. Failing that I do work in Manchester, It takes me 3 minutes to walk from Piccadilly train station to work, so I should be able to at least show my face. :)
Turns out choosing Manchester was an excellent idea! As has already been suggested it's probably going to be a day time thing, which will make it worthwhile for those travelling a long way, and then an evening event probably in a pub, maybe restaurant depending on numbers and what people want to do. We should have a date finalised pretty soon so that people can plan in advance - especially for those who are travelling from further afield or for those who have busy schedules like yourself. :)
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:Any meetup in europe would be interesting to me. Keep it alive
That's certainly my intention, this will definitely go ahead. Do tell others who you think may be interested! :)
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.
emma1989

Post by emma1989 »

Sam this is a great idea - I think I'll be coming. I have a few ideas for venues so give you a call at some point.

Who else here is definitely coming? Just keeping the thread alive!
Emma - phpBB forum owner - consider me a "noob" :?

A good friend of mine is looking for phpBB Developers / Gurus for major new phpBB based project - check it out if you're interested! :)
Truemedia

Post by Truemedia »

I'll be there if I don't get lost lol, only been to manchester a few times.
PM me about any topics I have made if you have any questions about them. I'm available for paid hire on creating mods and styles for phpBB, or configuration/installation - PM for quote
Other open source project forums I'm on: Area51
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

At this point it might be worth updating the original post to reflect what's been discussed in the topic. For example the location (looking like it's going to be Manchester), definite / possible attendees, preliminary activities, etc etc.. :)
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
samengland

Post by samengland »

Good idea, Christian - that will certainly make it easier for others who are considering attending. I'll certainly do this tonight if I get time - I'll also post up some possible dates/venues there too. :)

Nice signature too by the way - it would be excellent if others could do this too to raise the profile of it - I'm not sure everyone checks the events/meetings section regularly!
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.
AboutCampello

Post by AboutCampello »

I live in Spain but travel to England to see my family. Would love to meet up Manchester or Liverpool so if you give me plenty of notice I will tie it in with a family visit.
bbbri

Post by bbbri »

Manchester is the place to be! I'd make it for a swift pint!
ricjonhay

Post by ricjonhay »

I live in Sheffield so Manchester is a 40 minute drive so will be up for it and as I just said to Christian first round is on me 8-)
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Manchester in early 2011 should be doable for me. I can't promise, but it would be cool to try and make it :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

Blackpool :?:
icon_hide.gif
icon_hide.gif (7.91 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Does somebody want to step up put down a final proposal which people can yay or nay their attendance to?
Chris SmithGitHub
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Any update on this Sam? Won't be long before people get busy again.
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
samengland

Post by samengland »

Apologies for the delay - I have been busy although the event was certainly not forgotten about - I will confirm final venues in the next few days though I now have a preliminary date and meeting place. The first post has now been updated - please register your interest / attendance for free on Eventbrite here http://phpbbnorth.eventbrite.com/ :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”