[EVENT] [SAT 29th JAN 2011 MANCHESTER, NORTH ENGLAND] phpBB Meetup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
samengland
Name: Sam England

Re: [NORTH OF ENGLAND] phpBB Meetup?

Post by samengland »

I haven't checked back on this thread because in all honest I wasn't expecting many responses, if any! What dates are best? Manchester would probably be the best location for most - it's easily accessible from Newcastle, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Midlands.

What dates would be best for people? Would an evening, or daytime event be best, and what kind of venue would people prefer?
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

New Year is likely to be best for me. My schedule between now and Christmas is pretty full with work (including every weekend). New Year would also allow plenty of time for planning venue (market street meet-up?), activities etc etc..
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

I have to say there’s top quality members showing an interest in this, we’ve got a member of the styles team, development team, junior mod validator, moderator, former phpbb team members and a number of registered users!
I’d nearly fly over!
KeithR
Former Team Member
Name: Keith R

Post by KeithR »

After new year would be good for me as well. Late February not so good as I'm expecting a delivery :D .
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Anywhen past probably the first week of January is going to work for me at the moment, Manchester should be a good central location for everyone too.

Mark
samengland

Post by samengland »

This is really exciting stuff. I agree in that the new year would probably be best for everyone - most probably some time after January. If anyone has any other suggestions other than Manchester do speak up, though I think it's a very accessible city for most of us in the North, and for that matter the whole of the UK. As some have already said, if anyone wanted to fly in from Europe or even elsewhere in the UK including Scotland and Ireland, Manchester Airport is very well connected to the city too. Not to mention rail connections are excellent (TransPennine Express services from the whole of Yorkshire/Lancashire/Cumbria/Scotland, Virgin Trains 2hrs from London, CrossCountry direct from almost everywhere else inc. Birmingham and the Midlands)

So what is general consensus as regards the kind of event this should be? Evening event? Daytime? What kind of venue would be preferable for the meet-up?
We're looking for phpBB experts and PHP developers for an exciting new UK start-up - go to PostDesk.com if you'd like to be involved as a founding developer.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

MarkTheDaemon wrote:Anywhen past probably the first week of January is going to work for me at the moment, Manchester should be a good central location for everyone too.
So would the weekend of the 8th be good? The 3rd passed through my mind as it's new years bank holiday carried over, but I imagine the city centre is going to be crazy full of shoppers.
samengland wrote:So what is general consensus as regards the kind of event this should be? Evening event? Daytime? What kind of venue would be preferable for the meet-up?
I think that is going to be dependant on numbers and where people are travelling from. One more thing to consider is power and internet connectivity.
Chris SmithGitHub
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

ToonArmy wrote: So would the weekend of the 8th be good? The 3rd passed through my mind as it's new years bank holiday carried over, but I imagine the city centre is going to be crazy full of shoppers.
The 3rd wouldn't work for me anyway, I'll probably be heading back towards uni from home after Christmas but will be around for the 8th. It'll also be packed in the city centre as mentioned :).

Mark
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

The 8th Sounds good to me, though I'm flexible any time after that as well. :)
samengland wrote:So what is general consensus as regards the kind of event this should be? Evening event? Daytime? What kind of venue would be preferable for the meet-up?
I'm pretty open-minded as to what we do. Daytime (midday) would be best I reckon...allows us to meet up, grab lunch (the food court in Manchester City Center has everything imaginable, from Subway to Sushi (as well as the regulars such as Pizza Hut express, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Jacket Spuds etc...). Late morning / midday would also give us plenty of time to make a day of it before wrapping up at 5/6pm (we could go to a resteraunt for dinner, those who are up for it)...then head our separate ways to the stations afterwards.

Obviously a lot depends on train times, and what time the metro-link runs till (since Manchester Picadilly Station is too far a walk from the City Center).
samengland wrote:What kind of venue would be preferable for the meet-up?
Since most of us will be commuting by train, and probably don't know Manchester that well to go-it alone, Picadilly station would be my suggested choice since that's the station the Nothererns will be travelling to, and there's a direct line there from Bristol (temple Meads) if Chris (toonarmy) confirms his attendance. It's also the station I'll be arriving at.
ToonArmy wrote:One more thing to consider is power and internet connectivity.
I sadly don't have a laptop any more, so I wouldn't be able to participate in any social coding activity. Even so, I was thinking it would be more along the lines of a social get together as opposed to a libertyvasion-esqe coding workshop. Not sure what the others think?

Anyone got any suggestions as to what to do on the day, other than lunch and (possibly) dinner? Other than the Manchester Big Wheel which was crazy scary when I went on it a few weeks ago (costs around £7.50, student discount available), I'm not up to speed on what's around. :?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Christian 2.0 wrote:Daytime (midday) would be best I reckon...allows us to meet up ...
That certainly works for me, gives people the morning to travel. Spend the day out and about sounds good to me, I've never been to Manchester. Reconvening somewhere indoors as light fades seems like a good idea. How about a pub? ;) I'd assume everyone attending is going to be 16 at least.
Christian 2.0 wrote:libertyvasion-esqe coding workshop. Not sure what the others think?
Depends what people want to do, but I'd rather have a day out having a good chat meeting people than hunched over a laptop trying to fix a problem on somebodies forum. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

ToonArmy wrote:Reconvening somewhere indoors as light fades seems like a good idea. How about a pub? ;) I'd assume everyone attending is going to be 16 at least.
Absolutely! Since it's dark (and cold!) at around 4-5pm in January that sounds like a top plan.
samengland

Post by samengland »

I'd assume most people coming from a distance will arrive at Manchester Picadilly and even then Victoria isn't far away at all.

Picadilly station really isn't far from the City Centre - it's not really necessary to get the Metrolink though it does run until very late. It would come in handy if we were to go somewhere towards Salford for some reason - and it's also inexpensive.
ToonArmy wrote:Reconvening somewhere indoors as light fades seems like a good idea. How about a pub? ;) I'd assume everyone attending is going to be 16 at least.
Absolutely.

I also think meeting around midday at Picadilly is a good idea - we could do something in the afternoon (maybe even the big wheel as Christian suggested - the printworks is nearby, lots of bars/restraunts in the area) along the lines of what's already been suggested, and perhaps going for a pub/bar/restaurant in the evening depending on what people want to do and how many people want to stick around until later.
Christian 2.0 wrote: I sadly don't have a laptop any more, so I wouldn't be able to participate in any social coding activity. Even so, I was thinking it would be more along the lines of a social get together as opposed to a libertyvasion-esqe coding workshop. Not sure what the others think?
ToonArmy wrote:Depends what people want to do, but I'd rather have a day out having a good chat meeting people than hunched over a laptop trying to fix a problem on somebodies forum. ;)
I completely agree - I think this should be more a social event in all honesty - though people are welcome to bring laptops it can be a bit of a burden finding places with power sockets and/or wi-fi - it also takes up a lot of time and isn't very sociable especially for those who don't have laptops.

In terms of the date - I think well after the January sales are over would be best, Manchester gets very busy during this period, though it would also be a time where people can get time off work/uni. We'll sort that out once everyone has shown their interest a bit closer to the time. :)
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

ToonArmy wrote:How about a pub? ;)
Sounds like my kind of meeting place ;) 8-) .

Mark
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Merely replying here so that this topic will show up in my "egosearch" ;). I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK in January, visiting a friend in Lancaster. If this happens to fall together I'm certainly interested in joining here (Lancaster - Manchester is pretty drivable). Although this is just some vague future planning.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:Merely replying here so that this topic will show up in my "egosearch" ;). I'm hoping to make a trip to the UK in January, visiting a friend in Lancaster. If this happens to fall together I'm certainly interested in joining here (Lancaster - Manchester is pretty drivable). Although this is just some vague future planning.
Sounds good :). Hopefully we can sort dates so that everyone that wants to attend is able to.

Mark

Return to “phpBB Discussion”