iPhone App for phpBB Forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
faberryman

iPhone App for phpBB Forums

Post by faberryman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I looked for a long time for a way for me and my members to follow my forum on the iPhone. I found out that a competing forum, AVS (avsforum.com), was using a custom version of Forum Runner so I looked into the generic version, but to use it I would have had to modify a bunch of php and html files, and re-modify them every time a new version of phpBB3 came out. Not an elegant solution. Another option, Tapatalk, worked in a similar fashion. I was looking for something simple. I finally located an app called TouchBB. All you have to do is put the TouchBB.php file in your root directory and you are good to go. I used TouchBB and recommended it to my members for several months.

I finally got up the courage to contact the developer, Chris Monahan at corecoding.com, to see if he would write a custom version for me using my icon and app name, and "hardwiring" my forum url. Surprisingly, at least to me, he agreed to do so for a very reasonable cost. It went live yesterday. Check out my forum - ulrahighendforum.com - and my app - Ultra Audio - in the App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 02908&mt=8).

I know having my own app is a vanity thing, but my members really like it. It's one more way I have for keeping them loyal and keeping traffic up.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with Core Coding and don't get anything for mentioning TouchBB. I just thought having my own iPhone app was cool and wanted to share my experience with others running forums using phpBB3.

Frank Berryman
Founder and Site Administrator
Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Forum
Last edited by camm15h on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary links.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: iPhone App for phpBB Forums

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Tapatalk IS simple and works very well.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

loloelpalomero

Post by loloelpalomero » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Mixstar wrote:Tapatalk IS simple and works very well.
I have been checking the web and it looks great. I am going to download and test.

Thanks!

faberryman

Post by faberryman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:40 pm

I did not want to have to deal with all of these files for Tapatalk:

With TouchBB, you just put the file TouchBB.php in your root directory and you are done.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:43 pm

"deal with" ??
You just upload the folder containing those files to your web server. Done.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

faberryman

Post by faberryman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Perhaps I am not the most sophisticated forum operator. Given the choice between uploading one file, and uploading lots of files in lots of directories, the choice was obvious to me. Everyone has their own comfort level. I notice you are a member of the Support Team, so it may come as second nature to you.

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Are you using a real FTP program, like FileZilla?
If you are, copying a folder is exactly the same as copying a file. Click, drag, done.
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.

conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 am

do not upload all those files to your ftp you WILL screw your forum.

you must leave the tapatalk folders and files in their own folder and upload that to your ftp... all the files are seperate from your forum.

once done its a simple edit to you header (I meant footer) so that when you visit the sight a check is done to see if you are using a web broswers or tapatalk and then you are redirected to the right templates... tapatalk or styles.

it really is dead easy.... it was the first mod I ever installed... and I am a total novice

edit: see info in brackets
Last edited by conan_troutman on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faberryman

Post by faberryman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:22 am

conan_troutman wrote:do not upload all those files to your ftp you WILL screw your forum.

That is exactly what I am talking about with Tapatalk and Forum Runner.

Give TouchBB a try. Upload one file (touchbb.php) to your root directory. No html files to edit. TouchBB Lite is a free app. No reason to makes things more complicated than they need to be.

.Victor

Post by .Victor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 pm

I like those Apps. The App Store is the future, and I often use my iPhone. A great step forwards!
phpBB.nl Member
phpBB.com Member

7emper5i
Name: Philipp R.

Post by 7emper5i » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Tapatalk is used by me for nearly half a year now.

The installation process was as simple as turning your pc on.
The update behaviour of the team behind tapatalk is remarkable and there is no reason for not having it installed.

Every other system, I've checked so far, was more complicated.. or even just bad.

Regards,
Philipp

conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

7emper5i wrote:Tapatalk is used by me for nearly half a year now.

The installation process was as simple as turning your pc on.
The update behaviour of the team behind tapatalk is remarkable and there is no reason for not having it installed.

Every other system, I've checked so far, was more complicated.. or even just bad.

Regards,
Philipp

touchBB is the easiest to istall as it is one file but it is limited to iPhone users only, Tapatalk is a doddle to install... if you can read and follow simple instructions... but it involves jumping through a few hoops and the tapatalk website.

I would recomend installing both and giving your users the option... plus with the added bonus of tapatalk workig on android and nokia, it gives you a much wider audience

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 am

faberryman wrote:
conan_troutman wrote:do not upload all those files to your ftp you WILL screw your forum.

That was an over alarmist message, which did not make clear what he was saying.
Just uploading the tapatalk folder to your website will NOT do any such thing.
There is also no need to edit any HTML files on your board to get it working, that just tells your users about it, it works fine without the edit.

conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:08 pm

ric323 wrote:
faberryman wrote:

That was an over alarmist message, which did not make clear what he was saying.
Just uploading the tapatalk folder to your website will NOT do any such thing.
There is also no need to edit any HTML files on your board to get it working, that just tells your users about it, it works fine without the edit.

first he was going to over write existing forum files with tapatalk files had he done that he WOULD have screwed his forum.... and you do need to make an edit to your files for tapatalk... allbe it a simple one...

you add this to the overall footer of your default template

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script>
so please stop giving advice you clearly know nothing about... I have taken advice from people here and screwed my sites several times... you need to learn on here who to trust and who not to... cos some are very knowledgeable other are clearly just chipping in cos they think they can
text in quotes is a general statement not aimed at anyone in particular

conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:14 pm

to install tapatalk
Installation instruction
========================

For details step by step instruction to install Tapatalk plugin to your phpBB3 forum system. Please login to http://www.tapatalk.com/directory

Installation is easy. It does not change any of your forum settings or overwrite any of your existing forum code and configuration. Simply follow the procedure below:

1) Place the zip package at the root of your forum system.
2) Unzip the package. You should see a directory called "mobiquo" inside your forum system root directory. For example, if your forum URL is http://www.mysite.com/forum, it should be placed at http://www.mysite.com/forum/mobiquo/.

To uninstall Tapatalk:
- Remove the "mobiquo" directory.

"So how do I know if I installed properly?"
- You will need to login to the Tapatalk Forum Owner Area (http://www.tapatalk.com/directory) to verify the installation. As soon as you submitted your forum information into the system, a simple tool is provided to verify your installation. If it doesn't appear to be working properly, you can post your problem at Tapatalk Community Forum (http://www.tapatalk.com/forum) and we will assist you any problem that you might have.

phpBB - Installation (other forums types may differ)

* Place the zip package at the root of your forum system.
* Unzip the package. You should see a directory called "mobiquo" inside your forum system root directory. For example, if your forum URL is http://www.mysite.com/forum, it should be placed at http://www.mysite.com/forum/mobiquo/.
* Edit the file /<phpBB3_root>/styles/{YOUR_STYLE}/template/overall_footer.html
* Search in this file:

</body>
</html>

* Insert the following line above them

<script type="text/javascript" src="mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script>

* Purge the forum cache by logging in to the administration panel, find "Resynchronize or reset statistics" in the "General" section, click "Purge the cache".

when done jump through hoops at tapatlk... http://www.tapatalk.com/addforum.php

Return to “phpBB Discussion”