iPhone App for phpBB Forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: iPhone App for phpBB Forums

Post by ric323 »

ric323 wrote:That was an over alarmist message, which did not make clear what he was saying.

Just uploading the tapatalk folder to your website will NOT do any such thing.
conan_troutman wrote:first he was going to over write existing forum files with tapatalk files had he done that he WOULD have screwed his forum....
Note I had already emphasised that you should be uploading the FOLDER, not FILES.
If you upload the supplied FOLDER, it is impossible to over-write existing phpBB files, as the new files are all in a folder called "mobique", which is where they are supposed to be.
ric323 wrote:There is also no need to edit any HTML files on your board to get it working, that just tells your users about it, it works fine without the edit.
conan_troutman wrote: and you do need to make an edit to your files for tapatalk... allbe it a simple one...

you add this to the overall footer of your default template

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script>
As I stated, that is NOT necessary. It has been installed on one of my boards for the last 6 months without any template edits.
The README file which comes with the Tapatalk installation simply states:
The TapaTalk README.txt file wrote:
Installation instruction
========================

For details step by step instruction to install Tapatalk plugin to your phpBB3 forum system. Please login to http://www.tapatalk.com/directory

Installation is easy. It does not change any of your forum settings or overwrite any of your existing forum code and configuration. Simply follow the procedure below:

1) Place the zip package at the root of your forum system.
2) Unzip the package. You should see a directory called "mobiquo" inside your forum system root directory. For example, if your forum URL is http://www.mysite.com/forum, it should be placed at http://www.mysite.com/forum/mobiquo/.

To uninstall Tapatalk:
- Remove the "<b>mobiquo</b>" directory.

"So how do I know if I installed properly?"
- You will need to login to the Tapatalk Forum Owner Area (http://www.tapatalk.com/directory) to verify the installation. As soon as you submitted your forum information into the system, a simple tool is provided to verify your installation. If it doesn't appear to be working properly, you can post your problem at Tapatalk Community Forum (http://www.tapatalk.com/forum) and we will assist you any problem that you might have.
The rest you quoted comes from a web page, which is an optional extra step. As I already stated, it runs fine without that.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman »

I've slept, new day... time to start over...

we are both correct in what we are saying.. end of discussion... now... where is the windows mobile version of these applets?
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Does anybody here using Tapatalk have MODs on their boards, and if so, have they experienced any issues with their MODs and Tapatalk?
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
conan_troutman

Post by conan_troutman »

VSE wrote:Does anybody here using Tapatalk have MODs on their boards, and if so, have they experienced any issues with their MODs and Tapatalk?

I use a fair few mods and use tapatalk... only issues with my boards are some automated PMs are not emailed to recipients, though person to person PMs are

the other is clicking link to the index page can take two or three clicks

but I think these are related to an entirely different MOD and not tapatalk... all my users have not highlighted any issues with it
kortney

Post by kortney »

Okay, I've uploaded this folder to my root directory, I've followed all instructions provided, I've set permissions to 755 (as stated in the tapatalk troubleshooting) and the verification still states it cannot locate my mobique file.

I am searching for answers at the tapatalk site as well, but if someone over here knows what I may be doing wrong (since tapatalk seems to have limited details specifically for phpbb), that would be super great!
Jay1318
Name: Jason Norris

Post by Jay1318 »

I tried the TouchBB app and it has some issues displaying the forum cats and topics properly, but overall seems to work. I'd LOVE to have this as a customized app for my site as well. My site is a fishing site and this would make things a lot easier for my members.

However, the support forums for the app are absolutely loaded with spam and there doesn't seem to be any real support. Also, the email link to the owner does not work and none is listed on the iTunes store.

Does anyone have any contact information?

Tapatalk is $799.00. There is no way i'm paying that. So that's not an option.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Jay1318 wrote:Tapatalk is $799.00. There is no way i'm paying that. So that's not an option.
Tapatalk wrote: Q: How much does it cost?

A: As a forum owner you are free to activate Tapatalk in your forum, and you are free to remove/deactivate it anytime you want to.
The only cost as far as I'm aware is the user has to pay for the app for his mobile device which, in the UK, is £1.99 for iPhone.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Jay1318

Post by Jay1318 »

Therein lies part of the problem. I want to make a free app available for users.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

then just use the phpbb style(s) that are designed for this. you don't really need an "app" for it.

here is one of them:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... bile/demo/
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Jay1318 wrote:Therein lies part of the problem. I want to make a free app available for users.
The iPhone is a jail, so unless you can get a specific app approved for your site by Apple, nobody can use it.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
Jay1318

Post by Jay1318 »

I have installed the Artodia MObile style and it's working well.

I guess my hope was to have the app itself provide the functionality of logging in, taking pics to add to posts, searching, and let the html of the mobile style I do the rest.

Especially since it's a fishing forum, users could fire up the app, take their pic, then use a dropdown list (provided by the app) to select the forum with which to post.

I also think having an app icon that users can download would make them more likely to visit the site.
antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 »

you can add an icon image to your website, so that when your users bookmark it to their home screen, they have effectively got an app icon.

http://www.luscarpa.com/development/mak ... plication/

tha should work on android too i believe. there is a similar syntax for windows phone icons.
gussie

Post by gussie »

What bothers me about the Tapatalk app is that people can create accounts on my forum without going through any of the security measures we have in place. We get a lot human spammers and link builders, so in addition to CAPTCHA codes we ask for custom field information, and completion of sentences and equations. Tapatalk goes all around those by allowing Tapatalk users to login with their Facebook ID. A new user is created on my forum even though I normally require manual approval

I am still trying to figure out how to switch that off from Tapatalk. If I cannot, I will probably remove Tapatalk access from my website
Res tantum valet quantum vendi potest
Do not hire Christian Bullock - he will not finish the job and he will not return your money.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

gussie wrote: I am still trying to figure out how to switch that off from Tapatalk.
admin panel
.MODs
tapatalk in app registration

Redirect to External Registration URL
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
tonzodehoo

Post by tonzodehoo »

Whatever happened to TouchBB? I can't find it anywhere?
Is there another variant of the same idea?
Rather than have a user have to download a forum reader I would prefer the TouchBB solution. Are there alternatives at all?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”