Ever get sued by a forum user?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
ilikepeach

Ever get sued by a forum user?

Post by ilikepeach »

I'm thinking about making a trade/buy/sell forum for a local community which has potential legal issues as it involves money. What are the chances of being liable for the scams or other bad actions done by the users?
Will a good disclaimer message protect me from getting sued?
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Re: Ever get sued by a forum user?

Post by Ger »

That question can't be answered without knowing where you live, where you will host your forum and wich country your forum users will be. In The Netherlands and in Germany, judges have ruled that website owners (forums or otherwise) are partly accountable for what happens on their forum.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Ever get sued by a forum user?

Post by KevC »

As long as you have a disclaimer saying that people are buying and selling at their own risk and the transactions have nothing to do you the site or its owners and it's clearly displayed in a sticky post, and probably in a pink rule box at the top and even also in the forum description, people surely can't have any recourse to complain to you if a trade goes wrong.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”